I had this with lunch today – I wanted some comfort food.
Carrot Soup with Roasted Apples Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus some to sprinkle on the apples
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus some to taste
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 apple, finely chopped
- Spread the apple out on a baking pan and sprinkle with cinnamon. Broil for 7-8 minutes. I did this in the toaster oven – very easy.
- Heat the butter in a pan over high heat, then saute the onions with the cumin, cinnamon, and salt for about 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the thyme; saute for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the water and mustard and reduce heat to low; let simmer for 3-4 more minutes.
- Blend the carrot mix in a blender – add water if you’d like the soup to be thinner.
- Reheat the soup and mix in the roasted apples; feel free to sprinkle some more cinnamon and salt to taste!