Everyone loved these vegan cinnamon buns. I was looking for a healthy cinnamon rolls recipe, and I came across this recipe from Don’t Eat Off the Sidewalk, a great vegan blog. I changed it a bit.
- Halved the recipe but still used the full packet of yeast.
- Doubled the amount of filling (meaning I used the normal amount, even though I was halving the recipe).
- It’s not quite vegan, because I used honey in the glaze… But only because I didn’t have powdered sugar. So you can easily make it vegan again.
Anyway, these disappeared after dinner, so I think they were a success. Here’s my version of the recipe…
Vegan Cinnamon Buns | Pumpkin Sticky Buns Recipe | Healthy Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon Buns Ingredients
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan margarine
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar (I used brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or allspice, or cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves… a mix is good)
- 1.25 cups flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- nonstick cooking spray
Cinnamon Buns Filling
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (I used granulated)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine
Cinnamon Buns Glaze
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (See original recipe for the vegan glaze)
- Mix the yeast and water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the pumpkin, milk, butter, sugar, salt, and spices – put it in the microwave for 20 seconds to bring it to room temperature.
- Add the pumpkin mix to the yeast water and mix until smooth.
- Add the 1.25 cups of flour; mix until smooth.
- Use some of the 1/2 cup of flour to dust a surface for kneading. Then sprinkle flour on the dough and knead for 10 minutes, continually adding the remaining flour so that the dough doesn’t become too sticky.
- Coat a bowl with nonstick cooking spray and place the dough inside, rolling it around to coat it with the spray as well. Leave in a warm place, covered, for about 45 minutes or until the dough has at least doubled.
- Punch the dough down and let it sit, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Make the filling – mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and margarine.
- Flour your surface again and roll the dough out into a 10 inch square. Spread the filling out (I used my fingers) all over the dough.
- Roll up the dough into a cylinder and pinch the ends closed. Cut the cylinder into slices – the thicker they are, the bigger the buns will be. I made about 14, including the end bits. Spray nonstick cooking oil in a square pan and place the rolls inside. Cover and let them rise for about 25 minutes; they should double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Mix the honey, sugar, water, and vanilla together and drizzle over the buns.
I think these healthy cinnamon rolls would be great warm with vanilla ice cream… Unfortunately I didn’t have ice cream, and now they’re gone. Guess I’ll have to make another batch.