Tonight I made Mango Ginger Tofu from Vegan With a Vengeance.
This book is amazing. This recipe is fantastic (okay, I made a few changes… I really can’t help myself). Original recipe can be found here.
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons freshly chopped ginger
1 medium mango, chopped (you’ll need another one… see below)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon black molasses (YUM)
1/3 cup water
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup orange juice
14 ounces extra firm tofu
1 mango, thinly sliced
1/2 large red pepper, thinly sliced
1. Prep the marinade: heat the oil in a medium saucepan and then add the garlic and ginger. Saute for 4 minutes. Add the mangoes and saute for 4 more minutes. Add the rice vinegar, molasses, and water. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Uncover and let simmer for 3-4 more minutes. Add OJ, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar, and lime juice. Mix well and then let it cool.
2. Prep the tofu: I cut mine in pretty triangles, but you can make any shape you like. Just make them into slices about a centimeter thick.
3. Place the tofu and the marinade in a tupperware container or a ziploc bag. Let this marinate for at least an hour. I let mine go overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 375F.
5. Remove the tofu slices from the marinade and place them in a baking pan in a single layer. Top with a bit of the marinade. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Flip the tofu slices, and coat with more marinade. Mix the peppers and mango in the remaining marinade and place them on top of the tofu. Bake for 10 more minutes.
Serve with rice, couscous, and a salad! I made us a delicious salad tonight with some fresh CSA goodies…
Quick Salad: fresh greens, sliced apple, sliced onion, mint leaves (important!), lemon juice, and Asian dressing. Delicious.