At work, we get lots of free food. Sometimes they overdo it and order way too much of one thing. This week it was bananas – I walked out of work on Friday carrying with me 2 huge bunches of very ripe bananas. Here’s how I used up the first 8. I made two loaves, and I put the other bunch in the freezer.
4 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup applesauce
scant 1 cup sugar (I actually used a type of Splenda for baking and it came out really well; you can cut this down a lot anyway because bananas are very naturally sweet)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
1.5 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
1-2 tablespoons finely chopped dark chocolate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Mix together the bananas, buttermilk, and applesauce.
3. Add the sugar and the egg. Mix well.
4. Mix together the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Add this all together. You can add them one at a time but I find that things get mixed better if I mix the dry ingredients together first, then add them.
5. Add the chocolate, if using, and mix well. Pour into an sprayed/buttered 8×4 loaf pan (or whatever you want, really), and bake for an hour or slightly longer.