This is not only a fantastic movie, but an amazing dish. When we found green heirlooms at the farmers’ market last week, I knew exactly what to do with them. This recipe is simple and fun, and it’s a great dish for the summer. Enjoy!
about 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 green tomatoes, sliced (1 cm slices – I used green heirlooms)
olive oil for sauteing/frying
1. Making breadcrumbs from scratch – toast 2 slices of bread, rip them up, and pulse them in a small food processor until they’re pretty fine.
2. Pour the buttermilk into a bowl with a large bottom.
3. Heat some olive oil in a large saute pan.
4. Dip the tomato slices in the buttermilk (do both sides!) and then dredge in the bread crumbs. I like to put the bread crumbs on a nice big plate so it’s easy to coat the tomatoes.
5. Put each slice in the heated saute pan. Fry/saute on each side for 2-3 minutes. They should be nice and crispy and browned.
6. Serve plain or with ketchup, yogurt, or whatever you like. If you want, you can “get fancy with the spices” and add spices like cumin, chili powder, or oregano to the bread crumb mixture.
If you use ketchup, make sure it’s organic, HFCS-free ketchup! Yes, tomatoes on top of tomatoes = perfect combo!