I’m submitting this recipe to Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted by Valentina of Trembom – English Version, and created by Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen. My herb of choice – OKRA!
I made a delicious and light version of “gumbo” for dinner the other night. It was kind of a clean-out-the-refrigerator gumbo, but it was so good!
Okra Squash Shrimp “Gumbo”
- 3 cups chopped okra
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green beans, chopped
- 1/4 of a butternut squash (about 1.5 cups, peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups frozen shrimp, thawed (just let them sit in water for a few minutes; when the water gets cold keep replacing it)
- Saute the okra over medium heat in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium or large pot, saute the onions and garlic over medium-high heat in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the okra, beans, squash, tomato sauce, and water. Mix well. Add the spices and let it cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with rice, salad, or topped with yogurt.
I like posting multiple times per day. Too bad I can’t do it more often!
- WW wrap with egg whites, cheddar, and organic ketchup
- salad – iceberg, apples, onions, bacon bits, and some honey-vinegar-yogurt dressing concoction that I made this morning
I have nutrition tonight (if I’m feeling up to it), so I’ll probably grab a snack sometime this afternoon and make dinner after class. “See” you later!
Turns out my bad day yesterday was due to the fact that I’m coming down with a cold. I’m home from work for the day (got up, went in at 8:30, came home around 10:30), so I get to post early! No workout this morning because I felt drained. I’m hoping to get in a few walks throughout the day though.
- apple oatmeal loaf (all gone now – I had a bit too much last night… 😀 – no pic)
- Dannon 0% plus (strawberry), chopped nectarine and chopped plum, cheerios
This morning I ran for about 20 minutes and walked for another 30. I tried to do some yoga when I got back but didn’t really get into it. I’m having a bit of an off day.
- farmers’ market sample (unpictured)
- 1/2 heirloom tomato
- 1 large nectarine
- cup of Fage 0%
- cilantro chutney
- sliced turkey with pickles
- salad – sauteed broccoli, onions, and egg whites over iceberg with honey mustard and bacon bits
Dinner: (the Cantankerous Fish in Mountain View)
- Menu description: Southwestern Snapper – Portobello Mushroom, Chorizo & Butternut Squash Hash, Achiote-Chipotle Sauce, Avocado-Tomatillo Guacamole. It was really good. I got the sauce and the guac on the side.
I forgot my camera and the cell phone pics came out terribly 🙁 It was a really beautiful dish though. Also I am stupid and didn’t know what chorizo was, but it turns out it’s some type of meat. I wasn’t expecting that but I ate it anyway. Oh, well.
- apple-oat loaf
- an organic gala apple
- some dark chocolate