This recipe is based off of a recipe for “fried green beans” in one of my Vietnamese cookbooks. Proof that this is delicious: Bobby, who doesn’t like tomatoes, loved it! He was very concerned that I hadn’t made enough – we ended up finishing it, and he was still hungry. He snacked on some TJ’s turkey jerky though, so it was okay.
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
~2 cups of green beans (maybe 1/2 pound?), chopped in half
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
<1/4 cup water
2 medium/large firm tomatoes, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
1.5 cups of cooked shrimp
salt&pepper, to taste
1-2 teaspoons sugar
1. Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large saute pan. Saute the garlic for a minute or so.
2. Add the green beans and chili powder; saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the water and keep stirring.
3. Add the shrimp, carrot, and tomatoes; saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and sugar.
4. Saute for another minute or so. You’re done!
5. Serve over rice, couscous, bulgar, or another whole grain. Add more shrimp or another meat/fake meat if you’d like.