I’ve gotten some requests for a description of the workout I do (Jillian Michaels’ 30-Day Shred). I don’t have the DVD, but I do get it OnDemand (with Comcast) for free. They have a lot of exercise videos that I love, but recently I’ve gotten really into the 30-Day Shred.
The workout is 3 6-minute circuits, plus a warm-up and cool-down. The most important thing during this workout is to stay moving! Each circuit consists of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. She uses light hand-weights for each of the strength parts. The workout is effective without weights, but using weights (even just 3 pounders) will up the intensity a lot.
I use this interval timer.
30 Day Shred LEVEL 1 Routine
Warmup: (times here are estimates)
- arm crosses – swing your arms parallel to the ground, out and in, for about 20 seconds
- windmills – alternate bringing your arms towards the front – 20 seconds
- jumping jacks – 20 seconds
- hip circles – 20 seconds
- knee circles – 20 seconds
- jumping jacks – 20 seconds
Circuit 1: (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs)
- 30 seconds of pushups (I do these on my knees)
- 1 minute of squat and press – with a straight back, bend down, and when you come up, straighten your arms above your head
- repeat pushups and squat and press (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks
- 30 seconds of jump rope
- repeat jumping jacks and jump rope (1 minute)
- 30 seconds of normal crunches
- 30 seconds of backwards crunches – lift your legs in the air (bent), and raise your butt off the floor. Arms are at your sides.
- 30 seconds of dumbbell rows – squat, arms out in front of you, and pull them back
- 1 minute of static lunge with a bicep curl – one foot out in front, as you lunge down, do a bicep curl
- repeat above with the other leg in front for the lunges (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of butt-kicks (arms in running position, basically running in place but make sure you hit your butt with your feet each time)
- 30 seconds of punches – get in a deep squat position for these
- repeat butt-kicks and punches (1 minute)
- 30 seconds of side crunches
- 30 seconds of side crunches on the other side
- 30 seconds of chest flys – stay on the floor, and bring your slightly bent arms down and back up. I like to make this harder by straightening my legs in a pilates 100 position. But she just has you keep your knees bent on the floor.
- 1 minute of anterior raises and a side lunge – alternate lunging down on each side, when you bend to the right side, your left leg will be straight. Keep your knees over your feet, and push your butt out. As you lunge down, bring your arms straight out in front of you.
- repeat flys and lunges (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of butt-kicks, 30 seconds of punches, 30 seconds of jump rope
- 1 minute of bicycle crunches
- center split position, bend to the right, then center, then the left.
- bring your arms behind you and lift them up
- cross and hold each arm in front of you, looking the opposite way
- stand up and stretch your quads (opposite arm with opposite leg)
Let me know if you need more description for any of the exercises or have any other requests!
MORE: If you liked this post, check out these FREE workout videos!