05 October 2008 – Brunch and a recipe (egg white crepes)

Last night we had a friend over and I stayed up pretty late.  My snacks:

• another apple, some dried seaweed, sunflower seeds (1/4 – 1/3 cup-ish?), a dried cherry from Bobby’s brownie, and a handful of bran flakes.

I think I didn’t eat enough during the day because I definitely didn’t feel stuffed after all the extra snacking.  But this morning I wasn’t very hungry when I woke up!  I went for an hour and a half walk, then came back to get ready to go to the farmers’ market.  Bobby and I walked there and back (a mile each way), and we picked up fresh produce, fruit, and bread – eggplant, okra, grapes, raspberries, heirloom tomatoes, and other things I am forgetting.

Brunch:

1 egg white crepes 300x225 05 October 2008   Brunch and a recipe (egg white crepes)2 apple1 300x225 05 October 2008   Brunch and a recipe (egg white crepes)

• samples of fruit from the farmers’ market
  • egg white almond butter crepes – I got the idea for these off of a blog I read called Half Of Me, by a woman who lost half of her body weight.
  • toppings: 1/2 cup mixed berry applesauce, raspberries, and a drizzle of honey.  Aren’t those berries beautiful?  We got them this morning.  So good.
  • an apple on the side

How to make the egg white crepes:

Ingredients: 4 egg whites, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 tablespoon splenda (or other sweetener).

Directions: Mix everything together with a mixer until the almond butter is dissolved.  Spray a pan (high heat) with nonstick cooking spray and pour in half of the mixture.  Cook until the crepe is fully done.  I flipped mine, but you don’t really need to if you just cook it all the way through on the first side.  Repeat with the rest of the batter.  Add toppings like fresh fruit, honey, and applesauce.  Whipped cream would have been divine, but I didn’t have any.

I have a few minor errands to run today, but I’m hoping to relax and enjoy my Sunday.  Hope you’re all having a great day, and “see” you later!

7 Comments on 05 October 2008 – Brunch and a recipe (egg white crepes)

5 October, 2008 at 4:28 pm (6 years ago)

Gorgeous berries on those crepes!!

2. HangryPants
    5 October, 2008 at 6:06 pm (6 years ago)

Egg White Crepes! Such a great idea.

3. ttfn300
    6 October, 2008 at 11:33 am (6 years ago)

those sound awesome, and so simple!

4. Jennifer
    6 August, 2010 at 2:19 pm (4 years ago)

First of all thank you for this recipe! I made a version of it this morning… yours looked soo so good but I wanted it on a tortilla. So I took a whole wheat tortilla and toasted it on the stove. Then I spread a little almond butter over it, and drizzled with agave. Meanwhile I mixed together 1/2 c. egg whites with a tsp of cinnamon, a pinch of baking soda (to fluff up the egg whites) and a tsp vanilla extract. I scrambled up the egg white mixture and laid it on top of the tortilla. Tossed in a handfull of raspberries viola! Egg white crepe wrap :)

5. GiGi
    30 May, 2011 at 11:34 pm (3 years ago)

I MAKE “egg crepes” by mixing egg whites with cinnammon and stevia – that’s it. Maybe spread some purred pumpkin or butternut squash over it and sprinkle it with more cinnamon! Delish! :)

• Maggie
      15 June, 2011 at 7:54 am (3 years ago)

@GiGi: Sounds great! I don’t like egg whites alone anymore though, I used to :( But the yolks are so nutritious it’s all good :) I love eggs!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 05 October 2008 – Brunch and a recipe (egg white crepes)