I think the name says it all – these are banana-licious oaty muffins with some delicious cocoa. I have a bunch of bananas that are verging on bad, so I knew I had to bake something with them soon. I picked up cocoa powder at Trader Joe’s last week, so I thought that might be a fun addition. I also saw Kelly’s recipe for Double Chocolate Banana Muffin Tops, so that was inspiration as well 🙂
Cocoa Banana Oat Muffins
- 3 bananas
- 1/2 cup rice milk (I used the unsweetened variety from Whole Foods)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (or less!) sugar – you don’t need much because the bananas are so sweet…
- 1.5 cups of oats
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mash the bananas and mix them with the milk, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar.
- Mix together the oats, cocoa, baking powder, and salt – now add this to the banana mixture.
- Spray your muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray and spoon in the batter. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. These are very banana-y so they will still be a little soft.
- Makes 12 small-medium sized muffins.