Running High

This morning’s workout was a 3.2 mile run.  I timed it – about 28 minutes (my watch isn’t digital so it’s kind of hard to be exact).  I never thought I would enjoy running!  I guess I should stick with it in case I start to hate it again icon smile Running High

Breakfast:

2 breakfast3 300x225 Running High

• 1/2 cup oats, 1+ cup water, 1 peach yogurt, grapes
  • apple on the side

I took a leisurely hour-long walk before my lunch.  My legs are sore.

Lunch:

1 lunch2 300x225 Running High

• shirataki pasta mix – cabbage, celery, red pepper, shirataki, and pasta sauce
  • smart balance & olallieberry jam on an english muffin
  • an apple

Snack:

• 2 ww wraps
  • 1 banana – I actually ate each wrap with half of the banana inside it – so good!

Dinner:

7 squash dinner 300x225 Running High3 veggies bbq 300x225 Running High

• acorn squash with cabbage, celery, and apple, topped with turkey bacon and rice cheeze – I also had the skin and some of the squash part of Bobby’s – he never eats the skin!
  • raw veggies and bbq sauce
  • close up…

5 stuffed acorn squash 300x225 Running High

Dessert:

8 persimmon cereal dessert 300x225 Running High

• rice puffs, rice milk, and a persimmon
  • another persimmon (unpictured)
  • freeze dried banana slices from TJ’s

I had a bunch of GREAT responses to my nut/nut butter question.  Thank you all!  Happy Hump Day!  I hope you’re all getting ready for Friday – What are your Halloween plans?  And what is your favorite Halloween candy?

16 Comments on Running High

1. mi
    29 October, 2008 at 12:55 am (6 years ago)

haha “I never thought I would enjoy running! I guess I should stick with it in case I start to hate it again ” – something i’ve always said to myself!!

that acorn squash dish looks fantastic- i love how the filling is spilling over the little squash goodness!!

2. gina
    29 October, 2008 at 5:35 am (6 years ago)

i feel the exact same about running!
    my favorite halloween candy is anything dark chocolate– i’m obsessed
    happy wednesday!

3. Meghann
    29 October, 2008 at 6:11 am (6 years ago)

Yay for running! congrats on your fantastic run!

My favorite halloween candy is Reeses. I still haven’t had one this year, but I will be sure to pop one in my mouth before Halloween is over :)

4. AlliJag
    29 October, 2008 at 7:57 am (6 years ago)

How do you like those shirataki noodles? I saw themin the store and thought they looked good – do they taste different?

5. Hil
    29 October, 2008 at 8:10 am (6 years ago)

I don’t like candy very much anymore, but I occasionally get a nostalgic craving for a Reese’s. :-)

Alli–Shirataki noodles have a nice neutral taste that pretty much absorbs whatever sauce you put them in. The texture is what gets to some people…it’s a little chewy or springy. I don’t mind the texture. I prefer rice noodles and bean threads, but I’ve used Shirataki noodles very successfully.

6. Divya Vikram
    29 October, 2008 at 9:11 am (6 years ago)

Inspired by you, I have started doing yoga and also have started running..I ran a mile yesterday..Hope it is not too bad for a beginner!

7. admin
    29 October, 2008 at 9:44 am (6 years ago)

AlliJag – I like them a lot :) There are a few different kinds that you can get – there’s tofu and there’s original. I don’t like the tofu ones that much (they have Hungry Girl’s logo on them usually). I like the original ones, which you can get in clear or kind of a grey color. You just boil them in some salted water for 5-10 minutes (it doesn’t really matter how long) – they do smell kind of weird when you first take them out of the package. There’s this other thing called konnyaku, and it’s basically a block of the stuff that shirataki noodles are made of. I haven’t had it in a while but I used to make sweet and sour konnyaku and I would just chop it up and saute it with some sweet and sour sauce – it’s really good. You can also put them (shirataki noodles OR konnyaku) in stirfrys. I get mine at local Asian grocery stores, but I know the tofu kinds are sold in a lot of mainstream stores like Whole Foods and even Safeway. If you get the tofu ones and don’t like them I would try the original kind before you make a decision :) Hope this helps!

Divya – That is AWESOME! Congrats :)

8. Biz
    29 October, 2008 at 9:47 am (6 years ago)

Never thought to eat the acorn squash skin – I’ll have to give that a try!

I love Halloween, but when we moved 8 years ago, we went from 300+ trick or treaters to THREE! I had so much candy that first year, and when the third girl came to my door, and it was almost the end of the trick or treat time, I told her to open her pillowcase, and I dumped approximately 6 bags of candy into her bag!

As she’s walking down my deck, she yells to her mom “that lady gave me all her candy!”

At most I might get 10 kids :(

9. Catherine
    29 October, 2008 at 10:31 am (6 years ago)

Hmmm my favorite Halloween candy might be either Mounds (love the coconut, almond and dark chocolate combo) or York peppermint patties – the mini ones, otherwise they’re too minty.

I’m planning on going to a costume party at my friend’s apartment with my bf and a bunch of friends. So excited!!

What are your thoughts on the Shirataki noodles… love them, hate them? I’ve never tried them, but I’m really intrigued.

10. ChocolateCoveredVegan
    29 October, 2008 at 11:19 am (6 years ago)

Yay for running! I hated it as a little girl, but now it’s my favorite way to start the day!

11. Sharon
    29 October, 2008 at 11:30 am (6 years ago)

Plans for halloween?? I might be heading to a haunted house tomorrow night. But as for halloween itself, I think I’ll just relax at home.. hahah.

And everything looks great! Good eats!

12. Amy
    29 October, 2008 at 4:17 pm (6 years ago)

Great job on the run! Glad you’re enjoying it–thats so important. And your acorn squash dish looks fabulous woohoo!

Halloween candy…well, thinking back as a kid, I associate Reese’s cups and Kit Kat bars as the most coveted item in my trick-or-treat bag. As for plans, Im sure something will be going on up here at Penn State! Probably starting on Thursday night haha :)

13. HangryPants
    29 October, 2008 at 6:16 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on the run! Very exciting.

I think I am going trick or treating with Mark and my niece and nephew. My favorite candy is Snickers. Mmmmm.

14. Joanna
    29 October, 2008 at 7:16 pm (6 years ago)

i can’t remember the last time i had an english muffin with jam. i used to get them all the time at mcdonald’s haha

15. Erin
    29 October, 2008 at 7:30 pm (6 years ago)

I think your dinner looks beautiful! I’m so impressed with your culinary talent. :)
    BTW, I bought a pumpkin to make your cranberry fabulousness and it was rotten inside! Isn’t that whack?!
    My favorite candy – probably candy corn! I haven’t had any this year though. I guess I’d rather eat PB and trail mix. :)

16. Lee (seelivelee)
    30 October, 2008 at 6:41 am (6 years ago)

omg. those viatnamese rolls LOOK SO GOOD!! And Erin, I am impressed to!I think my favorite candy is reece’s PEANUT BUTTER cups, or Peanut M&M, or perhaps snickers..notice they all have peanuts in them…I think i’m going to turn into a peanut sooner or later…