This morning I got up and did 30-Day Shred, Level 2. I was feeling super-energized, so I did Level 1 right after!
- 1 cup Fage 0%, a little more than 1 cup microwaved pumpkin, cinnamon, honey, vanilla, and some crushed up bran flakes
Then I made us tea – it’s from Lupicia. Some kind of green tea flavoured with rice; it’s delicious! Those are the cute hand-painted mugs I got from Kohl’s the other weekend.
I’ve gotten some requests for a description of the workout I do (Jillian Michaels’ 30-Day Shred). I don’t have the DVD, but I do get it OnDemand (with Comcast) for free. They have a lot of exercise videos that I love, but recently I’ve gotten really into the 30-Day Shred.
The workout is 3 6-minute circuits, plus a warm-up and cool-down. The most important thing during this workout is to stay moving! Each circuit consists of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. She uses light hand-weights for each of the strength parts. The workout is effective without weights, but using weights (even just 3 pounders) will up the intensity a lot.
I use this interval timer.
30 Day Shred LEVEL 1 Routine
Warmup: (times here are estimates)
- arm crosses – swing your arms parallel to the ground, out and in, for about 20 seconds
- windmills – alternate bringing your arms towards the front – 20 seconds
- jumping jacks – 20 seconds
- hip circles – 20 seconds
- knee circles – 20 seconds
- jumping jacks – 20 seconds
Circuit 1: (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs)
- 30 seconds of pushups (I do these on my knees)
- 1 minute of squat and press – with a straight back, bend down, and when you come up, straighten your arms above your head
- repeat pushups and squat and press (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks
- 30 seconds of jump rope
- repeat jumping jacks and jump rope (1 minute)
- 30 seconds of normal crunches
- 30 seconds of backwards crunches – lift your legs in the air (bent), and raise your butt off the floor. Arms are at your sides.
- 30 seconds of dumbbell rows – squat, arms out in front of you, and pull them back
- 1 minute of static lunge with a bicep curl – one foot out in front, as you lunge down, do a bicep curl
- repeat above with the other leg in front for the lunges (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of butt-kicks (arms in running position, basically running in place but make sure you hit your butt with your feet each time)
- 30 seconds of punches – get in a deep squat position for these
- repeat butt-kicks and punches (1 minute)
- 30 seconds of side crunches
- 30 seconds of side crunches on the other side
- 30 seconds of chest flys – stay on the floor, and bring your slightly bent arms down and back up. I like to make this harder by straightening my legs in a pilates 100 position. But she just has you keep your knees bent on the floor.
- 1 minute of anterior raises and a side lunge – alternate lunging down on each side, when you bend to the right side, your left leg will be straight. Keep your knees over your feet, and push your butt out. As you lunge down, bring your arms straight out in front of you.
- repeat flys and lunges (1.5 minutes)
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of butt-kicks, 30 seconds of punches, 30 seconds of jump rope
- 1 minute of bicycle crunches
- center split position, bend to the right, then center, then the left.
- bring your arms behind you and lift them up
- cross and hold each arm in front of you, looking the opposite way
- stand up and stretch your quads (opposite arm with opposite leg)
Let me know if you need more description for any of the exercises or have any other requests!
MORE: If you liked this post, check out these FREE workout videos!
Last night I snacked on an apple and some frozen berries while watching TV. They were yummy. And very slowly chewed.
Today I woke up hungry for breakfast. But first, I did Jillian Michaels’ 30-Day Shred, Level 1! After not working out all week I decided to ease in with the simpler video. I missed working out. Things I like about working out:
- I stand up straighter
- I have more energy (a ton more)
- I can eat more
- It’s fun
After I got to work I made myself breakfast:
- Dannon 0% Plus (strawberry), cheerios, 1 plum
I took my hour-long walk right before lunch.
Lunch: (free at work – they ordered a special vegetarian meal for me)
- veggieburger with salad (I didn’t eat the bun and I only had half the burger… it was kind of burned and odd-tasting – but it was a really sweet gesture to order it)
- unpictured plate of tomatoes, olives, and a few artichoke heart pieces – this was yummy 🙂
- gala apple
- few handfuls of grapes (red ones)
- la tortilla factory WW wrap
For dinner we went to a new place – Vegetarian Garden in Mountain View. It was so good! I will definitely be going back soon. We shared everything and finished it all. Bobby got brown rice with his.
- summer rolls (water chestnuts and carrot inside; I think that’s all) – dipped in a sweet sauce
- steamed veggies and tofu with special sauce
- vegi mongolian chicken – spicy
- 1/2 carrot while deciding what to make
- microwaved pumpkin with chocolate almond milk, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla
- grapes while waiting for the pumpkin to cook and after eating the pumpkin
We saw Burn After Reading tonight… I was really disappointed; I didn’t like it at all. Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?
Due to a small miracle, I did not need a root canal this morning! My dentist is amazing. I do have a temporary crown on, and it feels odd – not bad, just odd. It took a while for the novocaine to wear off, and I hadn’t eaten beforehand, so I was especially ready for breakfast. It’s kind of hard to chew with the temporary crown. The area is sensitive, and my gums hurt a bit. So I’m eating slowly and carefully today.
I apologize for the redundancy of my eats today – I thought I wouldn’t be able to eat much after the root canal, so I didn’t pack a real lunch (just snacky things that were easy to chew) – but then it didn’t happen! So I was stuck with my lackluster grab-bag of food anyway 🙂 It ended up working out because I still had trouble chewing.
I’m going to make a major effort to cut back on sugar and other things that are destroying my teeth. Here’s how I started my day (I think the authors of Skinny Bitch would be proud – nothing but fruit before noon!):
Breakfast: (both chewed very slowly – I think it took me over an hour to eat these)
- 1 gala apple
- 1 fresh plum
I finally got to take my hour-long walk today – I love how relaxing it is. I went before lunch and talked to Mom about life and teeth and work, etc… I miss her a lot. I hope my parents can come visit us soon.
Lunch: (I probably would have eaten more, but again – this took me almost an hour to eat, and I was tired of chewing.)
- La Tortilla Factory WW Wrap with AB on one half, lite veggie cream cheese on the other
- ~1 cup Fage 0% for protein (18 grams!)
Snack: (very very redundant! – and very slowly eaten.)
- fresh plum
- another WW wrap
- stirfry with tomato sauce – pumpkin, okra, onion, carrots, eggplant. These stir-fries are quite large. I use about 5 cups of raw veggies, plus whatever sauces I put on. I topped this one with some organic ketchup again.
Dessert: (this was so good!)
- 1 farmers’ market peach, chopped up
- 1 cup of chocolate almond milk
- cinnamon, honey, and vanilla
I’m leaving to pick up Bobby from the airport in about an hour – I’m glad he’s almost back! I wish he could have been there with me this morning but I did okay on my own.
In other exciting news, I won a tea contest over at Biggest Diabetic Loser! Thanks, Biz 🙂 I’m very excited to get some new tea.
Bobby’s in Redmond, WA (near Seattle) today and tomorrow for a business trip. I miss him! Today was Vegetarian Day; I tried, but forgot at lunch 🙁
Lunch with coworkers: (this pic is not from today)
- Papaya and Shrimp salad (I forgot about veggie day – darn it!) – shredded papaya, some mango, cilantro, lots of mint, some onion crispies, lots of shrimp, shredded carrot, topped with fish-sauce dressing and some hoisin sauce!
- 1 juicy plum back at the office
I tend to undereat when we go out, because most dishes at restaurants are packed with unnecessary calories; I try to make up for it after I get back to the office. This is why I like to make my own food – I know what I’m eating and I can make sure that it tastes great but is still good for me and portioned properly!
- la tortilla factory WW wrap (80 calories, 8 grams protein, 12 grams fiber, 3 grams fat)
- another plum (I have a bunch)
Dinner: (no Bobby so I’m going veggie-crazy!)
- another big stir-fry – carrot, pumpkin, okra, broccoli, onions, tonkatsu sauce, and soy sauce – then I topped it with organic ketchup – yummy!
- 1 peach, 1 cup Fage 0%, cinnamon, splash of vanilla, splash of honey
- added about 2 cups of bran flakes after the pic (wasn’t going to have this much, but I figured I might as well add the last 1/2 cup to finish them off)