This week Erica from Itzy’s Kitchen is hosting the Blogger Secret Ingredient – and she chose pears! I was very excited because pears are such a delicious fall fruit. I came up with this salad and it was really good. I let Bobby taste the dressing before I put it on the make sure it was okay and his mouth dropped – “don’t change anything!” he exclaimed. So I didn’t. And here’s the finished recipe…
Pear & Crab Salad
- 1 bosc pear, chopped (centimeter-ish cubes are good)
- 6 ounces of lump crab meat (1 can)
- 2 big handfuls of fresh basil, chopped – maybe 20 leaves?
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage OR chopped celery (or both! I was out of celery, but that was my original idea – I substituted in cabbage and it was still really good)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cashews (optional – I was going to add these at the end and I completely forgot – but they would have been perfect) – or walnuts, or almonds, or your nut of choice!
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or vinegar of choice)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- To make the dressing, just mix all the dressing ingredients well.
- For the salad, mix everything but the crab. Then gently fold the crab in.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix them together. Serve! Topped with cashews or other nuts would be delicious, especially toasted walnuts or sliced almonds.
I had mine on top of lettuce with some extra pear slices; Bobby had his alone with extra pear slices. We will definitely be making this again. Thanks for a great ingredient Erica!