Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

Bobby was very pleased with the response from yesterday’s post.  He was very nervous!

I got a blog award from Brittany @ Eating Bird Food!  Thank you!

blog award Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

Here are the rules:

1. Post the award on your blog
  2. Link to me for giving it to you
  3. Link the originating post here
  4. Pass it on to five deserving people
  5. Post these rules for your recipients

I’m giving this out to:

1. Divya at Dil Se…
  2. Teenage Veg. Head
  3. Moran @ The Running Addict
  5. Catherine @ Stevia ‘n Spice

Sorry if any of you have been awarded already!

I did my usual 20 minutes of yoga this morning before I packed our lunches and headed out.

I wanted to see if I could change up my breakfast routine a bit this morning.  Instead of having an apple on the side, I beefed up my oats.  Unfortunately they were out of both soy milk and yogurt at work and I was unprepared – so I had to just use water in my oats.

1 breakfast5 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

• a little more than 1/2 cup oats, 1 whole banana, a little more than 1 cup water, 2 Tablespoons wheat germ (added at the end), and about 3/4 cup cheerios (added at the end)

It actually help me over really well.  It sounds weird, but sometimes eating that apple on the side just makes me hungrier.  Mid-morning I broke into this peanut butter Zbar:

2 pb zbar 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

This flavor is definitely not my favorite.  I don’t think I’ll be buying it again.  I still like the chocolate brownie best.  Before lunch I took my hour-long walk and talked to my dad.  I still wasn’t very hungry when I got back but I broke into my lunch anyway:

3 lunch wrap 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update4 lunch salad 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

• Flat-out wrap with a veggie dog, sliced apple, and rice cheeze
  • Salad with bacon bits, apple, celery, cucumber, shredded carrot, wheat germ (about 1 T), crushed peanuts (a little more than 1 T), and balsamic vinegar

Snacks:

5 snack 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update
  • 2 medium pink lady apples
  • 1 honey graham Zbar – I didn’t like this one that much either.  Better than peanut butter, but nowhere near the chocolate brownie or the blueberry.

This snack was so filling.  I didn’t eat dinner until around 8 and it kept me going all through the afternoon and evening!

6 grits pizza 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

Dinner was a new creation – grits pizza! I pretty much followed this Pepperoni Polenta Pizza recipe from Self that I got in my inbox the other day.  I subbed grits for polenta, 2 veggie dogs for the pepperoni, and used rice cheeze on my part of the pizza.  It was good!  I ate the extra filling on the side.  I had about double this portion (a little less than half of the whole thing):

8 grits pizza 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update9 tomato salad 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

The only problem was that I didn’t let the grits cool for long enough, so it was a little mushy – but I like mushy things, so it was all good.

For dessert I had grapes (times 3):

10 grapes 300x225 Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

Thanksgiving challenge update – yesterday we spent $29.50 at Milk Pail and $19.99 at Trader Joe’s, which brings our total to $103.54.  We’re getting a bit bored with the cheap food so we splurged this week.  Also, Bobby came with me for shopping which immediately means buying more goodies.  Last night was our night out for the week, and we did manage to make it cheap – we split an entree!  I think we have a leftover meal out to use up from last week too.  We’ve had it kind of easy because my dad treated us a few times when he visited and then Bobby’s parents fed us this whole weekend.  It is definitely possible to spend such a small amount on groceries, but I don’t like feeling so limited all the time.

What is your favorite grocery item to splurge on? I think mine is probably freeze-dried fruit.

EDIT:  I also had a box of raisins (1/4 cup serving) that I had leftover from the plane.  And 1/4 cup of cashews (salted).  I really need to get the unsalted ones.  But I did have a few handfuls of unsalted peanuts!  Sometimes I get these ridiculous nut cravings.  But they’re good for you icon smile Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update   (In moderation, of course.)

16 Comments on Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

1. Divya Vikram
    18 November, 2008 at 11:47 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks a lot for passing the award Maggie..So sweet of you!

2. K
    19 November, 2008 at 5:54 am (5 years ago)

Congrats on the award! Delicious looking eats as always :) I’m the opposite of you with the z-bars…love the graham and PB but don’t care for the chocolate chip or brownie – we can just trade then :D

19 November, 2008 at 5:54 am (5 years ago)

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE AWARD!! And thank you for sharing it with me :-)

Hang on for the rest of the challenge!!

Happy Wednesday!!

4. Joanna
    19 November, 2008 at 6:42 am (5 years ago)

yay for blog awards!!!!! good job!!!

that polenta pizza looks great. that’s such a cool idea. i’ve always wanted to make polenta but i haven’t yet. i just have this big bag of cornmeal sitting in my pantry.

as for the pedegg, thanks for the product review!!! i was at bed bath and beyond yesterday and that’s what gave me the idea to write about them!! haha i was carrying it around the store contemplating whether to buy it or not, so i figured i would ask food bloggers haha

5. jess
    19 November, 2008 at 8:29 am (5 years ago)

Polenta crust? Yum! How was it (taste wise, not satiety) with water/cheerios instead of milk? I mean, I usually use water in my oats, but haven’t tried it with cheerios… yet! haha

I splurge on seafood… I can’t help it :(

6. Tina
    19 November, 2008 at 8:56 am (5 years ago)

I saw that recipe from Self! I NEED to try it out! Sounds so yummy!

7. Sharon
    19 November, 2008 at 10:11 am (5 years ago)

Congratulations on the award. And grits pizza? Sounds and looks great!

Must agree with you on the nut cravings too! Simply crunchy delicious!

8. ALLIJAG
    19 November, 2008 at 11:38 am (5 years ago)

the grits pizza looks sooooo yummy! happy wednesday!

9. Biz
    19 November, 2008 at 2:31 pm (5 years ago)

You kill me with your veggie dogs and what you mix them with! Hee hee!

Favorite grocery store splurges: good shrimp, escargot for my hubby (actually, its not that bad – .69 cents per shell!), really good bread.

10. emily
    19 November, 2008 at 5:03 pm (5 years ago)

just curious, how much did you set your challenge amount at? We did $100 and it is freakin’ killing us! However, more than half of it has been on soda and coffee – we’ve actually barely gotten any food!

11. Erica
    19 November, 2008 at 5:27 pm (5 years ago)

All your food looks so good. I don’t know how ya’ll are doing this cheap food challenge…I stink at saving money at the food store! I’m with you- my fav z bars are the apple, blueberry, and brownie! mmm

12. Teenage Veg Head
    19 November, 2008 at 6:47 pm (5 years ago)

i love the peanut butter zbar!
    so filling :)

13. emily
    19 November, 2008 at 8:45 pm (5 years ago)

haha, A is getting pissed too – he keeps trying to tell people I’m starving him!

14. Sarah
    20 November, 2008 at 1:47 pm (5 years ago)

Chocolate brownie is my favorite Z bar flavor too! :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Good food and a Thanksgiving Challenge update

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619