Almost TGIF

Last night I ate half of this muffin and at least a 1/2 cup of unsalted peanuts.  Recently this late-night snacking has become a habit. How can I get out of it? I’m eating a lot during the day but for some reason I just want to munch after dinner, and I don’t want to let it get out of control.  Any tricks or suggestions? I’m hoping that maybe just blogging about it will make me hold myself accountable.

1 muffin 300x224 Almost TGIF2 peanuts 300x224 Almost TGIF

This morning I woke up still full from nut-overload.  I did yoga on my own for about 25 minutes, then spent a liesurely morning packing lunches and cleaning the kitchen.

3 breakfast4 300x224 Almost TGIF

I got to work and made breakfast - 1/2 cup oats, 1.5 cups water (soupy today), some Chobani vanilla stolen from the Chobani I brought to have with lunch, a whole banana, and some cheerios.  For some reason I was stuffed and wasn’t even hungry when I left for my hour-long lunch walk.  I think it was last night’s nuts still.

4 lunch 300x224 Almost TGIF

Lunch was a delicious fruit salad with the rest of the Chobani vanilla and 1/4 cup of peanuts.  It included an Asian pear, 3-4 clementines, and a banana.  Topped with cinnamon and lemon juice.  I also had a WW wrap on the side.

Snack was two medium honeycrisps and a whole wheat wrap.

5 snack1 300x224 Almost TGIF

For dinner I made a stir-fry topped with organic agave ketchup and had brown rice with it.  I really like brown rice recently.

6 dinner 300x224 Almost TGIF

For dessert I had several things:

7 chobani dessert 300x224 Almost TGIF8 rice applesauce 300x224 Almost TGIF

• shared this Strawberry Chobani and rice krispies with Bobby
  • another 1/2 cup rice with 1/2 cup applesauce
  • a few bites of a muffin Bobby was having (unpictured)
  • a few small handfuls of peanuts (unpictured)

I think I did better tonight than last night – I did snack after dinner but not to the extent that I sometimes do!

Have a great night; almost Friday!

17 Comments on Almost TGIF

1. Elise
    21 November, 2008 at 2:57 am (6 years ago)

I love your site! What kind of camera do you have? You’re on my blogroll– I’m just starting out! I’d love it if you could help me get the word out about my site. I want to join this foodblog community! It’s so fun!

21 November, 2008 at 4:57 am (6 years ago)

winter time is hard to resist night snack! But as long as you keep it moderate, it’s sooo okay~

3. Bridget
    21 November, 2008 at 5:53 am (6 years ago)

I get in those ruts too where I just want to snack all the time! You could try having a mug of tea first, then see if your still hungry. I find tea can fill my stomach sometimes :) Those peanuts look SO good!

4. Sarah
    21 November, 2008 at 6:04 am (6 years ago)

I also suffer from the nighttime snacking urges! One thing that has helped me is setting a “cut off” time that no matter what, I will stop eating at this time. It has worked pretty well so far. Plus drinking a big ol’ glass of water or some hot tea helps settle my stomach too. Hope that helps!

21 November, 2008 at 6:09 am (6 years ago)

Now you CAN say TGIF!!! :-D

6. Catherine
    21 November, 2008 at 6:49 am (6 years ago)

Have you tried drinking a big cup of tea – maybe with some honey and milk in it if you are hankering for something sweet? I find alot of times that often when I think I’m hungry I’m really just thirsty.

7. K
    21 November, 2008 at 7:15 am (6 years ago)

I’m going to echo Catherine but have you tried drinking something? When I get hungry even though I know I shouldn’t be (i.e. just ate) I down a big huge glass of water and it solves the problem. Or I chew some gum.

Happy Friday!

8. ALLIJAG
    21 November, 2008 at 10:16 am (6 years ago)

I love that fruit salad lunch – YUM!

have a great weekend!

9. Kristie
    21 November, 2008 at 11:58 am (6 years ago)

I’ve been doing the late night snacking thing too lately. I think it’s a combo of staying up late to work on school work stress, as well as a cold weather thing. A lot of the time though I try to go for fruit, like apples and clementines. And/or tea is great too. I chug tea along with a big bottle of water and that usually gets rid of the snackiness.

10. ttfn300
    21 November, 2008 at 1:17 pm (6 years ago)

jeez, i’m right there with you… if you figure it out let me know!

11. ChocolateCoveredVegan
    21 November, 2008 at 3:37 pm (6 years ago)

Maybe your body is telling you it needs more fuel during the day? Don’t feel guilty about snacking– enjoy that fast metabolism :o)

12. Teenage Veg Head
    21 November, 2008 at 6:10 pm (6 years ago)

oh how i love chobani yogurt.
    i just bought the strawberry flavor so i’ll be trying it soon!

the apples look so good too, honeycrisp are my favorite!

13. Sagan
    21 November, 2008 at 6:11 pm (6 years ago)

The best way to “wean yourself off” late night snacks is to first switch to something healthier. Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and airpopped popcorn are all really good. Tea is ideal, but it might take a while to get there. If its sweet stuff you want, make some healthier hot chocolate by boiling water and adding 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 1 tbsp of sugar. And some milk.

I find that for me, when I’m reading peoples blogs or writing on my own blog later at night, I’m too distracted to start going for the munchies (as I type busily away while supper is cooking so I don’t start snacking!). And also, just remind yourself: “I’m going to bed in a couple hours anyways, so why would I need fuel from food if I’m just going to sleep anyways?”

Hope this helps somewhat!

14. Oh She Glows
    21 November, 2008 at 9:42 pm (6 years ago)

I have had a hard time controlling the snacking lately too! I think it has something to do with winter blahs because I don’t have this problem in the summer at all. Winter is tough!

I like Sagan’s suggestions though- trying to focus on healthy snacks is a good idea- I am going to try this.

Angela

15. Kelly Olexa
    21 November, 2008 at 10:00 pm (6 years ago)

Ohhhh I have muffin issues, I can’t say no to them.

;-)
    K

16. Leng
    21 November, 2008 at 11:58 pm (6 years ago)

oh I feel your pain. I am always snacking late. Sometimes I don’t even take a picture of it because I unconsciously eat late in the evening. haha. I think it has something to do with how we’re so relaxed when the end of the night nears. To curb you appetite, you could maybe drink some liquids to fill you up. Or eat something that has a high water content, like fruit. Sometimes I have a bowl of cereal when I am craving something sweet. Hope that helps!

Have a good night Maggie!

17. Leng
    21 November, 2008 at 11:59 pm (6 years ago)

oh one more…you could try brushing your teeth earlier too.