Thanksgiving Day Wrap-up

Thank you for all of the holiday wishes.  Yesterday we had a lovely dinner at our friends’ house. There was a beautiful spread, which included the following (and I’m probably forgetting some things):

1 thanksgiving spread 225x300 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up2 asparagus 225x300 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up

• tofurkey with roasted veggies (carrots, onions, celery) – Bobby is carving!
  • big ole turkey – I carved this one icon smile Thanksgiving Day Wrap up  Leave it to the salad girl to do the meat!
  • stuffing
  • mashed potatoes
  • sweet potato fries
  • butternut squash fries
  • roasted asparagus (wouldn’t fit on the table)
  • cranberry sauce

We actually didn’t do dessert – I just had a whole bunch of fruit afterwards (apple & 2 bananas with oodles of almond butter). This was my first plate:

3 my plate 300x225 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up

I loaded up on veggies but made sure to try a bit of everything. I did go back for many seconds of the butternut fries and other veggies. The turkey was so juicy and the tofurkey was great as well, just like it has been the last few years. I love roasting veggies with it and using a marinade/baste. They came out tender and flavourful.

Veggie/Tofurkey Baste:

• 1 part orange juice
  • 1 part soy sauce
  • splash of olive oil (I used about 1 T EVOO and a 1/4 cup each of the OJ and soy sauce)
  • oregano or cilantro, to taste

I topped the tofurkey and veggies (3 carrots, 1/2 onion, and a few stalks of celery) with 3/4 of the baste, and roasted them (covered in foil) for an hour. Then I removed the foil and poured the rest of the baste on. I cooked it (uncovered) for about 20 minutes more.

To roast the asparagus I tossed 2 pounds of asparagus with 2 teaspoons EVOO and s&p. Then I baked them for 15 minutes at 450F. Very simple!

This morning I made a nice breakfast burrito with some leftovers – a flatout wrap, about a cup of sweet potato fries, and some applesauce. I also had a cup of the sweet potato fries on the side, dipped in more applesauce.

4 leftover breakfast 300x225 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up

This afternoon Bobby and I went shopping. I picked up some great workout gear at a store called Lucy that I’d never been to before. I got two pairs of these yoga pants ($29.99 + another 30% off) as well as a pink tank top with lace. They’re having sales, so check it out!  I am one of those girls that lives in yoga pants as much as possible, and I have to say these are the best I’ve had yet.

lucy yoga pants1 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up

Thanksgiving Challenge Update

So we made it through Thanksgiving without going over $126 – we came in at $125.14.

Over the past month I’ve made some rather poor food choices in an effort to save money. I didn’t buy the healthy snacks that I usually like to eat and I ended up eating the unhealthy choices that we had in our cupboard (chips, candy, etc…). The challenge helped me to understand why people living on a restricted income sometimes resort to eating these unhealthy things.

The challenge made me incredibly grateful that I don’t need to scrimp on food.  I am more mindful of the money I do spend and thankful that I can buy the things that I want to buy.

I am not going to continue with the challenge.  Though I’m more aware now of how much I spend (and it’s a lot), I like having freedom and I enjoy indulging in my favorites.  Today we went shopping and stocked up on the things we’ve been missing… and spent more than we did in the last 28 days (I think the total was about $140).

Habits I will continue are:

• shopping at Milk Pail as much as I can (this is the local outdoor grocery that is much cheaper than Safeway/Trader Joe’s/Whole Foods)
  • trying not to eat out more than once a week
  • being mindful of what I spend – whether this deters me from buying something or not, being more aware is always a good thing!

It was a great experience and I’m glad we did it.

Moving on to one of my favorite topics… Dessert!  When I’m not trying to save money on groceries, one of my favorite things to splurge on are Uncle Eddie’s Vegan Trail Mix Cookies.  These things are delicious.  I get them at Whole Foods but I think Trader Joe’s has them too.

7 vegan cookies bag 225x300 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up8 vegan cookies 300x225 Thanksgiving Day Wrap up

Though they’re not completely guilt free, they are a very healthy way to indulge.  Hope you all had a great Friday!

22 Comments on Thanksgiving Day Wrap-up

1. emily
    28 November, 2008 at 8:53 pm (6 years ago)

loving the challenge post! this was kind of my end reflection as well, I ended up a) eating more crap than usual, and b) not eating enough at all!

2. Sharon
    28 November, 2008 at 9:26 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, delicious eats for thanksgiving – glad you had a great time! And that is such a great price for Yoga pants!

3. Pearl
    28 November, 2008 at 11:28 pm (6 years ago)

i really enjoyed reading about the challenge post, and especially your thoughts on it afterwards. i think it’s absolutely fantastic that you completed such a challenge – i’ve become more “realistic” about the prices of food, and why in certain situations, quality really means a difference in quantity.

i hope to read more from you :) and your pics look fantastic! thanks for sharing the recipe.

4. eatingbender
    28 November, 2008 at 11:36 pm (6 years ago)

Your Thanksgiving sounds like a grand ol’ time! Thank you for your reflections on the challenge. I am very inspired by your ability to spend less and hope to incorporate some of your strategies in the future – particularly eating out, because I’m guilty of doing that way too often!

P.S. Sorry if I’m behind on this, but I love your new layout!!

5. Michael
    29 November, 2008 at 2:44 am (6 years ago)

i’m hungry D:

6. Lee (seelivelee)
    29 November, 2008 at 4:42 am (6 years ago)

Hey, I respect you for making that decision. I have to agree with how good it feels to indulge in your favorites. i do not see anything wrong in being passionate about something and really going for it and spending money on it if it is something which you love. clearly, we love food!!! i think it’s great that you tried it in the first place. keep up the good work and have a wonderful weekend.

7. Michelle
    29 November, 2008 at 6:11 am (6 years ago)

Glad you had a great Tlhanksgiving! Love your new yoga pants!

29 November, 2008 at 6:31 am (6 years ago)

glad to know that you had great time/eats at your friends, and got some good deal shopping.
    And I agree with you that poor people or those who have limited budget are eating no-healthy food because those are more dense in calorie. But I think the challenge is useful in the sense that it makes you more conscious on how much you’d spend normally and maybe there are some choices that you can make to not over-spend and get the same quality of food.

9. brittany
    29 November, 2008 at 6:38 am (6 years ago)

Your thanksgiving meal looks delicious. I’m glad both your turkey and tofurkey turned out great.

Enjoy your new yoga pants. I’ve never heard of Lucy.

29 November, 2008 at 6:50 am (6 years ago)

Such a lovely, delicious feast!!

I 100% support your decision to end the challenge, Maggie – purchase & eat what you’d like!! :-D

Yoga pants + vegan cookies = two of life’s simple pleasures.

11. Erin
    29 November, 2008 at 7:30 am (6 years ago)

I agree with VeggieGirl. Do what is best for ya’ll!
    Did you know Lucy is based out of Portland, the best city in the world and my hometown? ;) Yay!

12. Lindsay
    29 November, 2008 at 8:30 am (6 years ago)

what a great thanksgiving spread!!

way to go on the challenge – that is awesome…

love the pants :)

13. K
    29 November, 2008 at 10:08 am (6 years ago)

Great job on the Thanksgiving challenge! Everyone who participated in it was so admirable!

Fabulous Turkey Day spread and fruit is my favorite kind of dessert!

14. ChocolateCoveredVegan
    29 November, 2008 at 10:32 am (6 years ago)

I love yoga pants! They’re perfect for running, for school, for lounging, and (shhh, don’t tell), I often wear ‘em as dress pants– no one knows!

15. Tina
    29 November, 2008 at 2:41 pm (6 years ago)

Your asparagus looks delish!

16. Kath
    29 November, 2008 at 4:51 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on the awesome Challenge #!!!

17. Amy
    29 November, 2008 at 4:57 pm (6 years ago)

Looks like a fabulous Thanksgiving spread! And congrats on coming in under budget for the challenge :) OOOH and those vegan cookies look insanely good!

18. Melissa S.
    29 November, 2008 at 8:49 pm (6 years ago)

great looking thanksgiving! and congrats coming in under 126!

19. Biz
    29 November, 2008 at 8:58 pm (6 years ago)

Great spread! I am just glad i didn’t see any veggie hot dogs!

Good job on the grocery challenge, no way my family of 3 (and 4 on the weekends) could survive on that little.

It’s hard when your hubby loves meat! Maybe I should introduce him to the tofurkey!

20. Julia (Santa Barbara Dreaming)
    29 November, 2008 at 10:14 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, what a healthy looking thanksgiving spread! looks great! No meat, but yet so delicious and mouthwatering looking ;)
    OMG thanks for the Lucy info. I have been needing another pair of yoga pants, and the sale sounds too good to be true! Yay
    Great job on the thanksgiving challenge! I am desperately trying to cut back on groceries, I think I am going to challenge myself until Christmas.
    Have a fun rest of the weekend!

21. Leng
    1 December, 2008 at 10:27 am (6 years ago)

yeah your thanksgiving spread looks very healthy. TONS of veggies–I love it! :-)

Glad you enjoyed your challenge, if though it was a challenge to complete. They’re a total eye opener on how much food really costs. I am the same way. I can’t cut back…I mean I can cut back on spending on food, but why when I don’t really have to? You know. If we can afford to spend money on healthy food, then do so. I can totally understand why you’re not continuing with it. Chips & candy should never replace healthy food because we’re trying to save money. You did it, learned from it and you’re letting others know how it went. A good challenge is one that you learn from.

have a great Monday Maggie!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Thanksgiving Day Wrap-up