I found a fantastic blog this weekend called Just Bento. She posts ideas for complete bentos, as well as many simple and delicious recipes. I tried (and modified) one of them. Here is the original recipe.
For mine I cut back on the oil, added more carrots, and some cinnamon. Here’s my version:
Healthy Carrot Kinpira
- 4 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- dash of chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a wok/pan over high heat. Add the matchsticks and cook until they start to get crispy, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chili pepper flakes and cinnamon. Toss for 30 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce. Toss some more.
- Add the sesame seeds and toss; remove from heat.
Whereas most kinpiras include sugar as an ingredient, it’s unnecessary here. The carrots are sweet on their own and the cinnamon brings out the sweetness even more. I hope you enjoy it!
Bobby says, “It was very delicious! But a little spicy. But that probably means it’s increasing your metabolism! I learned that from Maggie.”