My favorite flow

I’m digging this Vinyasa flow right now.  Feel free to follow along.  It takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.  Repeat as you like.

Here’s a nice summary of the typical Vinyasa sequence (plank, to chaturanga – lower down, to up dog, to down dog).  This is power yoga, so get ready to sweat.  And don’t forget to breathe.  I remind you periodically below.  This is broken up into parts to make it easier to read.  Make sure you take at least one full breath in each pose.

Start.

• Standing
  • Flow down to Forward Bend
  • Half-way lift
  • Vinyasa flow (see link above)
  • Right leg lifts, then forward lunge, breathe
  • Back to plank, then your vinyasa flow, and repeat on the left

Next flow.

• Right leg lifts, then crescent lunge (arms up), breathe
  • Lean forward, arms go to your sides (airplane)
  • Warrior 3, breathe
  • Standing splits, breathe
  • Down to warrior 1
  • Chaturanga and your vinyasa flow, repeat on the left

Next flow.

• Right leg lifts, then crescent lunge
  • Stand up on right leg, bring your left leg up and bent
  • Straighten the left leg out in front, breathe
  • Cross left leg and put left ankle on right knee – one legged chair pose
  • Back to standing, forward bend, halfway lift, Vinyasa flow, repeat on the left!

Next flow.

• Right leg up, hold, breathe
  • Knee to nose, hold, breathe, leg back up
  • Knee to outside of right elbow, hold, breathe, leg back up
  • Knee to outside of left elbow, hold, breathe, leg back up
  • Knee to nose, hold, breathe, leg back up, then down dog
  • Vinyasa flow and repeat on the left

Next flow.

• Right leg up, lunge forward, back foot flat, warrior 1
  • Open to warrior 2
  • Arms over head, then clasp behind your back
  • Bend forward to humble warrior, breathe breathe breathe
  • Vinyasa flow, repeat on the left

Next flow.

• Right leg up, crescent lunge
  • Straighten legs, nose to knee
  • Alternate bending and straightening front leg, nose to knee
  • Straighten both legs and turn to face the left side
  • Turn legs out, bend your knees, breathe, hands to heart center, hold for a minute, breathing, yes it burns
  • Straighten your legs, hands to waist, fold forward, roll up
  • Back to front of the mat, Vinyasa flow, repeat on the left

Next flow.

• From down dog, move forward to plank
  • Move to side plank on the left
  • Raise your right leg, hold (optional – you can just stay in side plank)
  • Half pidgeon (right leg is bent) for a rest, breathe here
  • Back to plank, repeat on the right
  • Child’s pose

Cooldown.

• Roll onto your back
  • Boat pose, hold
  • (Optional) – lower and raise your legs 5 times in boat
  • Lay down, knees to chest
  • Straighten left leg, twisting right leg over, look right (shoulders remain on the floor)
  • Repeat stretch on the other side
  • Chavasana (relaxation)

That’s my favorite routine. If you do it quickly you will end up sweating. Use your breath to make this a true workout.  Questions, comments?  What’s your favorite pose?  Mine is humble warrior.

If there’s enough interest I can write out a pose guide for this.  Let me know.

13 Comments on My favorite flow

1. carolinebee
    19 December, 2008 at 4:19 pm (5 years ago)

this is SO awesome!! I don’t think it’s hard to follow at all if you’ve done yoga- i just want someone to read it aloud so i can do it :D My fave pose is Pigeon (if that is where- one leg is bent at right angle in front of you, back leg stretched straight back??) Or any pose that reaaally stretches your hips!

19 December, 2008 at 4:24 pm (5 years ago)

I LOVE VINYASA ROUTINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As someone who does yoga every single morning, I DEFINITELY would like to see more routines/guides!!

**My favorite pose = twisting half moon.

3. Meghann
    19 December, 2008 at 4:37 pm (5 years ago)

You should do a yoga tutorial video!

4. Danielle
    19 December, 2008 at 4:51 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds… incredible! Do you teach private classes? ;)

5. K
    19 December, 2008 at 4:58 pm (5 years ago)

I agree with Meghann! You should do a video!

My favorite pose: I have no shame, it’s child’s pose! But after reading Caroline’s comment I realized that pigeon is a pretty good one too!

6. admin
    19 December, 2008 at 5:07 pm (5 years ago)

carolinebee – yep, that’s it! I love pidgeon too. maybe i’ll make an mp3 :)

Danielle – no! but I might think about it. I’m considering getting certified.

7. Madison Song
    19 December, 2008 at 5:52 pm (5 years ago)

Oh man I really want to get into yoga! I think it would be so good for me. I haven’t yet though, so I don’t have a favorite pose- yet!

*chanting* vide-o! vide-o! :)

19 December, 2008 at 7:50 pm (5 years ago)

my favorite asana is head stand :D
    it took me almost a year to get them!

9. HangryPants
    19 December, 2008 at 8:16 pm (5 years ago)

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Oh, I love so many poses and go in stages. Right now I am loving pigeon and dancer’s pose. :D

10. Joanna
    19 December, 2008 at 8:35 pm (5 years ago)

i manage to sweat during yoga more than cycling class. i think it’s because you have to stay in a pose for a while and it’s uncomfortable. i like the challenge though. my favorite post is corpse pose!!! hehe

11. Sharon
    19 December, 2008 at 8:47 pm (5 years ago)

Wow, thanks for sharing!! I’m definitely going to look into yoga more!

12. Pearl
    20 December, 2008 at 3:05 am (5 years ago)

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Hmm.. as someone who is interested in getting into yoga, how do you recommend I introduce myself to it? Through a gym class, a video, or private session? Thanks :)

13. Andrea
    20 December, 2008 at 7:22 pm (5 years ago)

Love this!!! Vinyasa is my favorite style of yoga…I crave the classes and when I can’t go I enjoy Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga dvd at home. Thanks for sharing!!! I personally love dancer’s pose, and also runner’s pose (as Kest calls it…not sure if it has a more official name) because it releases all the tension in my hips and bootie… :)