I was so happy when Biz @ Biggest Diabetic Loser decided to bring back the Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI)! She chose zucchini, a very versatile and tasty veggie. I was going to make grilled skewers, but had no skewers! So I just broiled up a bunch of veggies. It was quite delicious, and very healthy. This is another Rice Diet Cookbook inspiration.
Broiled Veggies (BSI = Zucchini)
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, chopped in half
- 1 large red pepper, chopped in 1 inch squares (approximately)
- 1 red onion, chopped roughly
- 3 small zucchinis, halved and then chopped in 1 inch pieces (approximately)
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- <1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice (about 3/4 of a whole lemon)
- freshly ground pepper
- Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, and pepper. Pour over the veggies in a large bowl and mix well. Let them sit for 20 minutes, mixing again halfway through.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Put all the veggies in a large dish. Broil for 10 minutes about 6-7 inches away from the broiler. Mix them around halfway through.
- Move the veggies up as close to the broiler as possible, and broil for 4-5 more minutes. Mix them around and broil for another 4-5 minutes. They should be slightly browned in some areas.
Enjoy! I had mine with a great whole wheat pasta salad that I will post sometime this week.