Peanut butter scandal got you down?

I have a solution.

My name is Maggie and I have a peanut butter addiction.  I love it so much that I will often consume up to 4-5 tablespoons a day.  This is problematic when peanut butter is spreading salmonella across the country.  I saw this new product at Trader Joe’s during this week’s grocery trip, and I picked it up in the hopes that I had found a passable substitute.

Not only is this product salmonella free, it only has 100 calories and 2.5 grams of fat per 2 tablespoon serving!

better n peanut butter Peanut butter scandal got you down?

Better ‘n Peanut Butter: Original flavor.

Verdict: I love it.  It tastes just like Jif & Skippy, but in a much healthier way!  I think it probably tastes similar to Barney Butter (but I still haven’t tried Barney Butter, so I’m not positive – I know; I should get on that).  I don’t think I’ll be tempted to dip in for spoonful after spoonful of this stuff because it doesn’t have that addicting savory quality that natural PB has, but it definitely delivers deliciousness and tastes great in a sandwich.

I would highly recommend this product for anyone who likes peanut butter. Especially for people that like sweetened nut butters, and for those of us that can’t seem to put the spoon down after one taste.  It was just really good – and so creamy.  There wasn’t even any oil to mix in (though I guess this is the case with all nut butters that aren’t the purely natural kind?).

No, Better’n Peanut Butter did not pay me to endorse their product.  I just like it so much that I wanted to share it with my readers.  But if they want to send some freebies my way I certainly wouldn’t mind!

Here are some of the other things I’ve been eating recently.  A light breakfast…

7 cooked apple breakfast 300x224 Peanut butter scandal got you down?

• 1 large cooked apple (the raw ones have been giving me tummy problems)
  • 1/2 cup TJ’s high fiber cereal
  • 1/2 cup full fat plain yogurt
  • 1-2 tablespoons strawberry maple syrup drizzled on top
  • green tea (chilled)

And a lunch sandwich

13 persimmon peanut butter sandwich 300x224 Peanut butter scandal got you down?

• 2 slices whole wheat bread
  • 1 sliced persimmon
  • 2 tablespoons Better’n Peanut Butter

Holy freaking yum!  Have you tried Better’n Peanut Butter?

30 Comments on Peanut butter scandal got you down?

1. Jenny
    20 January, 2009 at 11:25 am (6 years ago)

the pb scandal DOES have me down :(

I have seen Better’n’peanut butter, but have been scared to try it…it seems so artificial to me for some reason!…Glad to know it’s tasty though!

• Trajayjay
      16 January, 2013 at 3:56 pm (2 years ago)

It honestly is kind of artificial. Natural peanut butter may be high in calories, but at least it only has 2 ingredients at most. And besides, the nutrition in REAL peanut butter is worth the calories. Healthy fat: check
      Protein: check
      Vitamin E: check
      TASTE: double check check.
      Better ‘n peanut butter is just another evil company that tries to convince people that fat is bad, which it isn’t. Stick with real peanut butter (all natural of course). Eat it guilt-free.

• Maggie
        16 January, 2013 at 4:00 pm (2 years ago)

@Trajayjay – I actually agree with you now!! I wrote this review almost 4 yrs ago and my eating habits have definitely changed over time. I’m all about REAL food now, not fake stuff like this. I would not eat this again.

2. K
    20 January, 2009 at 11:47 am (6 years ago)

I haven’t tried that PB before – thanks for the review! Like Jenny I was apprehensive about it but good to know it’s got a seal of approval!

3. Sharon
    20 January, 2009 at 11:53 am (6 years ago)

Eeek, really sad to see that peanut butter is making us blue.

4. Kelly Turner
    20 January, 2009 at 12:56 pm (6 years ago)

sometimes i like to tell people im allergic to peanuts and slap whatever they are eating with peanut butter out of their hand. i dont know why. it seems like a peanut allergy is the only acceptable time to slep things from people.

Kelly Turner

5. HangryPants
    20 January, 2009 at 1:46 pm (6 years ago)

I have tried this and it was wayyy to sweet and artificial tasting for me. But, I am a PB naturalist and I understand that those who love skippy or jif would love this, too.

• Trajayjay
      16 January, 2013 at 3:59 pm (2 years ago)

I know, peanut butter is already a healthy food. No need to “healthify” it further by removing the healthy fat and replacing it with sugary fillers. Sorry, I’d rather get my calories from heart healthy oils than sugar.

• Maggie
        16 January, 2013 at 4:02 pm (2 years ago)

@Trajayjay: Totally agree! Fat is demonized and it really shouldn’t be. Sugar and other artificial ingredients are the baddies.

6. Jen
    20 January, 2009 at 2:17 pm (6 years ago)

I have seen that product but Im a die hard PB lover, so I fear not liking it. besides… I have read that its just PRODUCTS WITH peanut butter IN IT, like cookies, bars, etc that we have to worry about?!?!?!?!? Im still eating my pb. hmph. :) haha

7. bobby's sister
    20 January, 2009 at 2:41 pm (6 years ago)

From what I’ve heard, the peanut butter scandal only affects a certain company that distributes solely through wholesale buyer venues (i.e. schools, offices, etc.), so you shouldn’t have to worry about any personal contamination.
    Either way, my mom tends to buy the peanut + grinder = natural peanut butter kind. Nonetheless, I’m glad you found a yummy new peanut butter :)
    Jiffys/Peter Pans/Other Brands tend to have so many preservatives anyways.

8. Erin
    20 January, 2009 at 2:43 pm (6 years ago)

Thank god! What are the ingredients?

• Trajayjay
      16 January, 2013 at 4:00 pm (2 years ago)

PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Seriously, what kind of healthy food has that many ingredients. Count how many times sugar appears in the list (at least 3!) and it replaced the filling fat with empty starch and syrup. It irks me how it’s legal to sell this stuff!

• Trajayjay
        16 January, 2013 at 4:01 pm (2 years ago)

Real peanut butter ingredients:

Peanuts

9. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    20 January, 2009 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

I prefer the real thing, but yes, if I’ve had too much nut butter for the day, this is a good sub. It still gives that nutty flavor. It’s pretty good in smoothies! I’m glad you like it!

10. carolinebee
    20 January, 2009 at 4:19 pm (6 years ago)

sounds gooood, i love your persimmon in the sandwich idea!! Switchin it up from the usual bananas and apples :D

11. Meghann
    20 January, 2009 at 5:10 pm (6 years ago)

is it wrong if I ignore all of the peanut butter recalls? :)

12. ttfn300
    20 January, 2009 at 7:02 pm (6 years ago)

hmm, i tried it, but i don’t know if i love it as much… had a sort of artificial taste? and since i knew it wasn’t as bad i just ate more. i’d rather have the real stuff :) persimmon and pb?? hmmm… i wish persimmons were more available and in season!

13. Melissa S.
    20 January, 2009 at 7:04 pm (6 years ago)

um, so like meghann…i am ignoring the recall…because i did hte same thing when it happened with peter pan pb…i had a contaminated bottle, which was 1/2 gone by the time it was recalled…and i wasn’t sick, so i finished it. haha!

14. Michelle
    20 January, 2009 at 7:18 pm (6 years ago)

Great PB review! I’ve never tried that kind. Yum!

20 January, 2009 at 10:27 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve seen Better’n Peanut Butter but never tried it. Glad to hear you like it, and always glad to read about another person obsessed with nut butters of any kind. I too eat between 3-5 TBSP of nut butters a day. I LOVE the crunchy Barney Butter and the Naturally Nutty vanilla almond butter. Amazing! But, I’m also completely satisfied with the generic brands as well. Love them all…and TJ’s High Fiber cereal. Love that stuff!

16. Caroline
    20 January, 2009 at 11:20 pm (6 years ago)

Yep, I’ve tried this stuff, but I have to agree with the others–I’d rather have the real stuff. You get lots more nutritional benefit that way.

• Trajayjay
      16 January, 2013 at 4:03 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! someone who understands that nutrition is more important than calories. All I hear is so many calories this, hella calories that, fat here, fat there, even if it packs a powerful nutritional punch. I honestly think that manufacturers should be banned from printing calories, and focus on macronutrient makeup and vitamin and mineral content.

17. Julz
    21 January, 2009 at 7:53 am (6 years ago)

Yes, I tried it… EWWW I did not like it. I used to convince myself that I did bc it was a lower cal option… Yeah, I don’t lol. I found it so sweet (like ICKY) and almost like bad peanut butter icing? It doesn’t have that thick, dense-pillowy (almost?) like consistency… Idk, I just found it totally ICK. Plus the ingredients are a little craze.

[PS] The chocolate one tastes EXACTLY the same to me.

• Trajayjay
      16 January, 2013 at 4:05 pm (2 years ago)

Stick to real peanut butter, it has heart healthy fat, which BpB has tried to convince you is bad. I honestly think it’s worth the 90 extra calories if it means you get to have a real treat with all the vitamins and none of the additive fillers that contribute nothing

18. Briana
    21 January, 2009 at 6:38 pm (6 years ago)

i have tried it too and i’m not a fan at all real pb is the way to go

19. Http://maggiematela.com
    18 December, 2012 at 11:30 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for publishing Better ‘N Peanut Butter Review | Say Yes to Salad, I actually was searching for something related and was thankful to find the tips from this specific post.

20. Carol
    31 October, 2013 at 11:16 am (12 months ago)

I love PB and Better ‘N PB IS better than PB, both in calories and in taste. It tastes like something that should be a topping on ice cream – it’s that good. Definitely something you can sink a spoon into for snacking.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Peanut butter scandal got you down?