Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

Hope you all had a lovely Chinese New Year!  Last night I made fried rice (not exactly traditional Chinese, but we take what we can get) for Bobby and tonight I made a traditional Chinese dish called Mabu Tofu (or Mabu Dofu).

19 meat mabu tofu 300x225 Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

I made a meat version (for Bobby) and a vegan/vegetarian version (for me).  I bulked up both of them with veggies.  This dish is typically served with just the Mabu sauce and tofu + meat, but I can’t make a meal without adding in some bulk!

The prep for this is incredibly easy because I used a pre-packaged Mabu Tofu mix.  The mix can be found at most Asian grocery stores, and I got mine at 99 Ranch.

17 mabu tofu box 300x225 Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

Maggie’s Simple Mabu Tofu (serves 4)

Ingredients

• 1 box of Mabu Tofu sauce (found in Chinese grocery stores like 99 Ranch) – 4 servings
  • 1 block of tofu (approximately 14 oounces), chopped into ~1cm cubes
  • other meat (optional – I added 1 chopped turkey dog, a slice of ham, and some chicken to the non-vegan version; basically whatever was leftover in the fridge)
  • 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3-4 stalks of celery, chopped
  • other veggies (optional – I used about 1 cup of broccoli and 1 cup of cauliflower in the vegan version)

Directions

1. Heat the oil on high heat in a wok or large saute pan.  Add the onions; saute for 1 minute.  Then add the celery and other veggies, if using.  Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
  2. 18 chopped celery onion 300x225 Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

3. Add the tofu (and other meat, if using).  Cook until heated through (I like to get mine a little brown and crispy), then dump in the entire contents of the Mabu Tofu sauce packet.
  4. 18 chopped tofu 300x225 Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

5. Reduce heat to medium and continue to stir for another 2-3 minutes, making sure the sauce is well-distributed.

20 vegetarian mabu tofu 300x225 Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

Enjoy plain, with rice, couscous, or another grain.

Did you celebrate Chinese New Year?  What is your favorite Chinese dish?  I like very traditional Chinese cooking.  When I first moved to California (Union City in the East Bay) I lived in a house with 4 other people, and 3 of them were Chinese.  The guy was an amazing cook and I got to enjoy everything he made – delicious spicy prawn soups (pre-vegetarian), perfectly sauteed greens, and some crazy bean desserts.  It was so awesome!

19 Comments on Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)

1. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    28 January, 2009 at 12:31 am (6 years ago)

I am all for bulking things up!!!

I haven’t had a lot of authentic Chinese food, but I’m so intrigued by the red bean desserts.

28 January, 2009 at 3:24 am (6 years ago)

wooooooo….. your mapo tofu looks so chinese!!! hahha…… So glad to know that you love traditional chinese food!

28 January, 2009 at 5:42 am (6 years ago)

Perfect dish for the new year!!

4. Jesse
    28 January, 2009 at 5:53 am (6 years ago)

Oh lol, that is the same brand of mabo tofu sauce that I used to eat ALL the time in college. Mmm! Brings back so many yummy memories… =) Happy Chinese New Year to you too! I think my favourite CNY dish would have to be nian gao, that sweet sticky rice cake that is so glutinously sinful… yum!

5. Melissa S.
    28 January, 2009 at 5:57 am (6 years ago)

yay for traditional chinese food! i’m not a big fan of chinese food…but i know my family is! i bet they’d love this dish!

6. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    28 January, 2009 at 6:21 am (6 years ago)

your Mabu Tofu looks wonderful! I didn’t formally celebrate the Chinese New Year, but I do have a couple favorite chinese dishes – I am not even sure if they are truly authentic chinese, I love Singapore Street Noodles and Mu Shu.

7. Jenni
    28 January, 2009 at 6:55 am (6 years ago)

heya,
    i just found your blog a few days ago and i am loving it so far! i thought i’d finally leave a comment and say hi :)
    your tofu looks delicious, and i’m always needing easy recipes, so i’ll have to give it a try soon…
    -jenni

8. Michelle
    28 January, 2009 at 7:11 am (6 years ago)

Love that tofu dish! Have a super day!

9. Jenni
    28 January, 2009 at 7:16 am (6 years ago)

(sorry, I put my old blog on my ID the first time)

28 January, 2009 at 7:36 am (6 years ago)

Your dinner looks delicious – here’s to adding bulk! I always need some veggies with lunch and dinner.

I don’t think I’ve ever had traditional Chinese food – it’s hard to come by in Nashville. I’m assuming Pei Wei doesn’t count. :)

11. K
    28 January, 2009 at 8:25 am (6 years ago)

Niiiiice dish! Sadly the only Chinese food that I’ve had is American-Chinese which is nicht gut in my stomach :(

12. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    28 January, 2009 at 8:42 am (6 years ago)

Love the tofu dish! Thanks for the recipe! It looks nice and easy, my kind of cooking!

13. gina (fitnessista)
    28 January, 2009 at 10:10 am (6 years ago)

that dish looks so beautiful and delicious! i totally want to make it
    my favorite chinese dish is teriyaki veggies and shrimp :D
    have a wonderful day!

14. Sharon
    28 January, 2009 at 10:24 am (6 years ago)

Wow, you did a great job with the New Year’s dish, love it!

15. Biz
    28 January, 2009 at 10:32 am (6 years ago)

That looks really good – Hannah and I love all Asian, I’ll have to look out for it.

Did you end up putting a veggie dog in yours? I couldn’t tell!

Happy Hump Day!

16. Ed Beeby
    25 February, 2010 at 8:31 pm (4 years ago)

I have a lot of trouble buying Mabu Tofu Sauce in my area in Plymoith Mass.I have tried the chinese markets in Boston but they do not respond well and they do not want to send it by mail or accept my credit card.
    Can you send it to me or give me a place where I can buy it?
    Please let me know.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Mabu Tofu (Chinese dish)