Have you ever tried a green smoothie? Angela has been making them for breakfast, and I got very curious, so I decided to try my own. It was surprisingly good. I had to add a few teaspoons of honey to sweeten it up at the end, but after that it was great. And it’s a wonderful way to get some veggies early on in the day.
Maggie’s Green Smoothie
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
- spring mix (got a huge box at Costco and I’m trying to use it up) – 1.5 cups, packed
- chopped collard greens (couldn’t find kale) – 1.5 cups, packed
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk (but you could use any non-dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter, warmed up so that it mixes better
- 2 teaspoons honey
- I just thought of another thing that would be good, but I didn’t put any in – wheat germ! (1-2 tablespoons)
- Add the fruit, milk, peanut butter, and honey to the blender/mixer. Then add as many greens as will fit.
- Blend until the greens are pureed. Keep adding more greens and blending until you’ve fit them all in.
- Serve in a nice tall glass. Eat it with a spoon if you like!
Mine came out pretty thick, so I did end up eating it with a spoon. I’m hoping it will hold me over, but I’m not sure – I usually have carby breakfasts and I don’t get full on liquids. So we’ll see. It was delicious though, and very voluminous! I don’t own a blender so I made this in my mini food-processor.
This morning I did some old favorites – YogaDownload’s 20-minute Power Vinyasa #4, and The New Method 20/20 Perfect Pilates (40 minutes). I really do love YogaDownload.