Dad’s Stovetop Oats

Confession: Before today I had never made stovetop oats.  I’d used old-fashioned oats, but always in the microwave.  The last time I ate stovetop oats I was probably about 7 years old, and my dad made them for me.  For my first foray into the world of stovetop oats, I decided to stick with his method.

23 oatmeal 300x225 Dads Stovetop Oats

I decided to use the heart-healthy portion (3/4 cup oats) because when I usually have oatmeal it’s not as filling as I like.  Into the pot went:

• 1.5 cups water
  • dash of salt
  • 3/4 cup old fashioned oats

And for topping I stuck with what my dad would do:

• ~1/4 cup milk (chocolate almond milk – actually something my dad probably thinks is weird)
  • ~1-2 tablespoons honey – I hollowed out a little pit and poured in heated honey

I let them cool for a few minutes and dug in.  Holy amazing! Stovetop oats are incredible!  I’ve been missing out!  Or should I say I’ve been missing OAT, hehe.  I’m hoping this breakfast will hold me over for a while.

As for yesterday’s smoothie, it did the job for about 1.5 hours, then I had to have a piece of fruit.  I think it helped that I put peanut butter in it, otherwise I would have been hungry after about 20 minutes.  Oh, well.  I don’t think I’ll be making green smoothies regularly, but it was a fun experiment and definitely made me feel refreshed.

Speaking of my dad, he sent me a link to the (don’t click if you’re an easily offended vegetarian/vegan!) Bacon Explosion this morning.  How ridiculous is that?  No wonder we have a health problem in this country…

Happy Thursday everyone!  What is the craziest recipe you’ve ever heard of?

20 Comments on Dad’s Stovetop Oats

1. Peggy
    29 January, 2009 at 1:41 pm (6 years ago)

Craziest Recipe — Uncle Bernie’s BBQ sauce. Half French’s yellow mustard and half grape jelly. He would serve them with those gross mini beef hotdogs. Then there were all those weird 50′s style cakes that called for a can of tomato soup that I think the depression era generation would make. Will not mention aspics since I hate gelatin — veggies thrown into Jello in a mold — gives a whole new meaning to sweet and savory.

2. K
    29 January, 2009 at 4:00 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve never ever had stove top oats :(

3. Melissa S.
    29 January, 2009 at 4:30 pm (6 years ago)

glad you enjoyed the stove top oats…iv’e tried them, and don’t like them surprisingly…i’m weird like that. :)

4. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    29 January, 2009 at 4:38 pm (6 years ago)

Stovetop oats are where it is at, girl. Can I get an amen???

5. Elise
    29 January, 2009 at 4:41 pm (6 years ago)

What’s the difference? Like what’s the advantage to cooking them on a stovetop?

Craziest stuff ever– PAULA DEEN. I love her. But some of her stuff is just scary…

29 January, 2009 at 4:44 pm (6 years ago)

Fabulous!!

7. Michelle
    29 January, 2009 at 4:48 pm (6 years ago)

Love those stovetop oats!!!

29 January, 2009 at 5:16 pm (6 years ago)

stove top oats are the best! After I tried I never make them in microwave ever again! :D

9. carolinebee
    29 January, 2009 at 6:03 pm (6 years ago)

YUM…NO YUM to the bacon :D I’d have to go with all that county fair/fried twinkie/snickers craziness! I’ve never seen it real life, buut I don’t really want to.

10. Erin
    29 January, 2009 at 6:09 pm (6 years ago)

You me the whole time I’ve been loving your soupy oats there were in the micro?!?!?!
    Stovetop is superior, right? Yummy! Yay Dad!

11. Sharon
    29 January, 2009 at 8:02 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve actually never added milk to my oatmeal before. I’m thinking maybe I should try it!

12. Olga
    29 January, 2009 at 9:24 pm (6 years ago)

hahah I wrote about the bacon explosion in my post today!

Once you have stove top oats, you can never go back…They’re just so good!

29 January, 2009 at 10:19 pm (6 years ago)

Let us know if the heart-healthy portion has more staying power. I think that’s my problem with oats – I just need to make more.

Craziest recipe? Well, my husband love to mix a baked sweet potato with marinara sauce and steamed oysters. I know, it sounds disgusting, but it’s actually quite tasty.

14. Melanie Thomassian
    30 January, 2009 at 5:56 am (6 years ago)

Hey Maggie,

Craziest recipe? I’m not so sure, but you’ve got me thinking now. :D

15. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    30 January, 2009 at 9:12 am (6 years ago)

I also have not made stove tops oats since I was a kid! I really need to try them out again! Great idea adding chocolate almond milk to them!

16. Biz
    30 January, 2009 at 7:44 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie, they are so much better cooked on the stove – glad you tried it!

You’ll never go back to the microwave!

17. Will
    31 January, 2009 at 12:23 am (6 years ago)

Wow, this looks great! THanks for the ideas!

How are you? Hope all is well!

-Will