I had never made pizza dough from scratch before last night. But I should have – it was so easy. And It ended up being great. (Pizza is scary for me and I actually ate a whole slice – YUM.) I think I’m going to try baking the dough just plain, like flatbread. I usually buy flatbread at Trader Joe’s, but I think this would be a good alternative.
Easy Peasy Pizza Dough (or Flatbread!)
- 3 cups + 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 packet of yeast
- 1 cup warm water (I just got my faucet to run hot and used that)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or a vegan sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic and chili powder (or others)
- Mix the water and yeast together. Then add the honey, oil, and spices. Add in about 2.5 cups of flour and mix. Then add in another 1/2 cup of flour. If the dough is still too sticky, add more flour.
- Let the dough sit for 10-15 minutes. It should almost double in size.
- Flatten the dough out on an oiled baking sheet. Top with your favorites and bake at 425F for about 15 minutes.
The toppings I used were spaghetti sauce, chicken (on Bobby’s part), shredded cheddar, and 1 Laughing Cow (just cut in bits and spread throughout). I was very pleased with the result. Have you ever made your own pizza dough from scratch?