Hobbies & popcorn :)

This is a random post.  You all know that food, yoga, health, and fitness are big parts of my life.  But what else do I do for fun?  One of the hobbies I’ve picked up recently is making earrings.  It’s fun, relaxing, and gets my creative juices flowing.  These are some of my recent creations…

24-earrings25-earrings26-earrings

On to food!  Since I’m currently out of a job, and being frugal is one of my passions, I wanted to share a money-saving tip.  A fun and easy snack that I make a lot is popcorn.  But I don’t buy the 100-calorie bags because it’s much cheaper to pop your own.

3-popcorn

Ingredients (for 1 100-calorie bag)

• brown paper lunch bag
  • ~3 tablespoons unpopped kernels
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • salt, cinnamon, chili powder

Directions

1. Place the kernels in the lunch bag.  Fold over the top.  Microwave for 2-3 minutes (until there are a few seconds between pops).
  2. Pour the popcorn into a bowl.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle on your desired spices.

Eat!  There are actually premade seasonings that you can buy in stores – I like Kernel Season’s the best.  I get the Nacho Cheddar flavor.

nachocheddar

Stay tuned for a product review (some very “virtuous” granola products), another way to use turmeric, some Japanese soba noodles, a new book by a fellow blogger, and more.  What is your favorite popcorn flavor?

26 Comments on Hobbies & popcorn :)

1. Andrea
    5 February, 2009 at 12:41 am (6 years ago)

I like your website! Thanks for the tips!

2. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    5 February, 2009 at 12:58 am (6 years ago)

The earrings and the new blog look are both fab!

I love the sweet and the salty of kettle corn!!! But your flavors sound good too!

3. Andrea of Care to Eat
    5 February, 2009 at 1:35 am (6 years ago)

Whoa! Holy new blog Salad Girl! Me likey!
    Anyways, before I got distracted, I was going to say that be careful because one time I made popcorn that way, and it caught on fire in the microwave. Although, that was sometime in the 80s and I was probably 7 or 8. So it could have been me, or the microwave – probably the first of it’s kind. Whatev – just keep an eye on it :)

4. Pearl
    5 February, 2009 at 2:18 am (6 years ago)

howwwww cool!

5 February, 2009 at 5:49 am (6 years ago)

LOOOOOVE your jewelry creations!! And your new blog layout :-)

6. Ashley
    5 February, 2009 at 6:38 am (6 years ago)

love the jewelry! i am defnitely a HUGE fan of kettle corn, and also, just regular popcorn with jalapeno and some of the juice YUM

7. Dori
    5 February, 2009 at 7:33 am (6 years ago)

The new layout looks great! And I love the earrings!

8. Melissa S.
    5 February, 2009 at 7:43 am (6 years ago)

omg those earring are wonderful! they are seriously the kind that i buy every time! you willing to sell? cause i would TOTALLY buy!

love the new layout!

9. Sharon
    5 February, 2009 at 8:08 am (6 years ago)

Oh wow, the earrings look amazing! That is soo cool!
    And love your new layout!

10. gina (fitnessista)
    5 February, 2009 at 8:38 am (6 years ago)

the earrings are gorgeous! you are so talented :D
    i always pop my own popcorn too. it’s so much healthier and tastes waayyyyyy better
    have a great day!

11. Marian eats. The Italian way
    5 February, 2009 at 9:02 am (6 years ago)

I just found your blog and love it! Look forward to reading it! I love those Kernel seasoning’s

5 February, 2009 at 10:12 am (6 years ago)

really cool earrings!!! You should teach me how to make them!
    and the popcorn direction is so useful! but I need first buy some paper bags! :D

13. HangryPants
    5 February, 2009 at 11:08 am (6 years ago)

I love the earrings, the new layout (is it new?) and the popcorn. I love making it in a brown paper bag in the micro! My dad used to make it stove top with tons of butter! Now I eat it plain or with a little parm. cheese and garlic powder.

14. fitforfree
    5 February, 2009 at 12:56 pm (6 years ago)

I like my popcorn nutritional yeast and black pepper!

15. fitforfree
    5 February, 2009 at 12:57 pm (6 years ago)

*with

16. Biz
    5 February, 2009 at 1:15 pm (6 years ago)

Those earrings are really pretty! And I agree, making your own snack packs is a HUGE savings!

Love the new look too!

17. Michelle
    5 February, 2009 at 1:52 pm (6 years ago)

you’re a smart cookie! I’m guilty of buying the 100-calorie snack packs because i can’t trust myself with making a whole big bag. :P oops. Yours is a fabulous idea though! Maybe i’ll try that next when i go thru my packs! (When they go on sale, they’re $2.99 at Dominick’s for 10! Is that bad?? hehehe)

My favorite is caramel apple. :P But i always get kettle corn.

18. polly
    5 February, 2009 at 4:12 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie girl,
    you are talented AND frugal AND sweet! Love your blog and the popcorn idea! XOXO

19. Meg Wolff
    5 February, 2009 at 4:20 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    What a great idea!! None of those chemical additives either.

20. K
    5 February, 2009 at 4:53 pm (6 years ago)

I’m lovin the new layout and I’m partial to kettle corn if that’s a flavor!

YOU ARE TALENTED!!! Those are gorgeous! Well done :)

21. Brittany
    5 February, 2009 at 9:12 pm (6 years ago)

I like your new layout and thanks for the popcorn recipe. I love having it as a snack, but I totally didn’t realize you could pop it yourself in a brown paper bag. Kettle corn is my fav.

22. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    5 February, 2009 at 10:33 pm (6 years ago)

omg! I had no idea that you can make popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag! this is so neat, I am definitely going to be saving some mula =)

23. FoodsThatFit
    6 February, 2009 at 11:59 am (6 years ago)

What a cool talent you have making earrings! They are really pretty!

Abbie

24. emily
    7 February, 2009 at 12:42 pm (6 years ago)

I always make “paperbag popcorn!”

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Hobbies & popcorn :)

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796