Hobbies & popcorn :)

This is a random post.  You all know that food, yoga, health, and fitness are big parts of my life.  But what else do I do for fun?  One of the hobbies I’ve picked up recently is making earrings.  It’s fun, relaxing, and gets my creative juices flowing.  These are some of my recent creations…

24 earrings 300x269 Hobbies & popcorn :)25 earrings 300x260 Hobbies & popcorn :)26 earrings 300x240 Hobbies & popcorn :)

On to food!  Since I’m currently out of a job, and being frugal is one of my passions, I wanted to share a money-saving tip.  A fun and easy snack that I make a lot is popcorn.  But I don’t buy the 100-calorie bags because it’s much cheaper to pop your own.

3 popcorn 300x225 Hobbies & popcorn :)

Ingredients (for 1 100-calorie bag)

• brown paper lunch bag
  • ~3 tablespoons unpopped kernels
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • salt, cinnamon, chili powder

Directions

1. Place the kernels in the lunch bag.  Fold over the top.  Microwave for 2-3 minutes (until there are a few seconds between pops).
  2. Pour the popcorn into a bowl.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle on your desired spices.

Eat!  There are actually premade seasonings that you can buy in stores – I like Kernel Season’s the best.  I get the Nacho Cheddar flavor.

nachocheddar Hobbies & popcorn :)

Stay tuned for a product review (some very “virtuous” granola products), another way to use turmeric, some Japanese soba noodles, a new book by a fellow blogger, and more.  What is your favorite popcorn flavor?

26 Comments on Hobbies & popcorn :)

1. Andrea
    5 February, 2009 at 12:41 am (6 years ago)

I like your website! Thanks for the tips!

2. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    5 February, 2009 at 12:58 am (6 years ago)

The earrings and the new blog look are both fab!

I love the sweet and the salty of kettle corn!!! But your flavors sound good too!

3. Andrea of Care to Eat
    5 February, 2009 at 1:35 am (6 years ago)

Whoa! Holy new blog Salad Girl! Me likey!
    Anyways, before I got distracted, I was going to say that be careful because one time I made popcorn that way, and it caught on fire in the microwave. Although, that was sometime in the 80s and I was probably 7 or 8. So it could have been me, or the microwave – probably the first of it’s kind. Whatev – just keep an eye on it :)

4. Pearl
    5 February, 2009 at 2:18 am (6 years ago)

howwwww cool!

5 February, 2009 at 5:49 am (6 years ago)

LOOOOOVE your jewelry creations!! And your new blog layout :-)

6. Ashley
    5 February, 2009 at 6:38 am (6 years ago)

love the jewelry! i am defnitely a HUGE fan of kettle corn, and also, just regular popcorn with jalapeno and some of the juice YUM

7. Dori
    5 February, 2009 at 7:33 am (6 years ago)

The new layout looks great! And I love the earrings!

8. Melissa S.
    5 February, 2009 at 7:43 am (6 years ago)

omg those earring are wonderful! they are seriously the kind that i buy every time! you willing to sell? cause i would TOTALLY buy!

love the new layout!

9. Sharon
    5 February, 2009 at 8:08 am (6 years ago)

Oh wow, the earrings look amazing! That is soo cool!
    And love your new layout!

10. gina (fitnessista)
    5 February, 2009 at 8:38 am (6 years ago)

the earrings are gorgeous! you are so talented :D
    i always pop my own popcorn too. it’s so much healthier and tastes waayyyyyy better
    have a great day!

11. Marian eats. The Italian way
    5 February, 2009 at 9:02 am (6 years ago)

I just found your blog and love it! Look forward to reading it! I love those Kernel seasoning’s

5 February, 2009 at 10:12 am (6 years ago)

really cool earrings!!! You should teach me how to make them!
    and the popcorn direction is so useful! but I need first buy some paper bags! :D

13. HangryPants
    5 February, 2009 at 11:08 am (6 years ago)

I love the earrings, the new layout (is it new?) and the popcorn. I love making it in a brown paper bag in the micro! My dad used to make it stove top with tons of butter! Now I eat it plain or with a little parm. cheese and garlic powder.

14. fitforfree
    5 February, 2009 at 12:56 pm (6 years ago)

I like my popcorn nutritional yeast and black pepper!

15. fitforfree
    5 February, 2009 at 12:57 pm (6 years ago)

*with

16. Biz
    5 February, 2009 at 1:15 pm (6 years ago)

Those earrings are really pretty! And I agree, making your own snack packs is a HUGE savings!

Love the new look too!

17. Michelle
    5 February, 2009 at 1:52 pm (6 years ago)

you’re a smart cookie! I’m guilty of buying the 100-calorie snack packs because i can’t trust myself with making a whole big bag. :P oops. Yours is a fabulous idea though! Maybe i’ll try that next when i go thru my packs! (When they go on sale, they’re $2.99 at Dominick’s for 10! Is that bad?? hehehe)

My favorite is caramel apple. :P But i always get kettle corn.

18. polly
    5 February, 2009 at 4:12 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie girl,
    you are talented AND frugal AND sweet! Love your blog and the popcorn idea! XOXO

19. Meg Wolff
    5 February, 2009 at 4:20 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    What a great idea!! None of those chemical additives either.

20. K
    5 February, 2009 at 4:53 pm (6 years ago)

I’m lovin the new layout and I’m partial to kettle corn if that’s a flavor!

YOU ARE TALENTED!!! Those are gorgeous! Well done :)

21. Brittany
    5 February, 2009 at 9:12 pm (6 years ago)

I like your new layout and thanks for the popcorn recipe. I love having it as a snack, but I totally didn’t realize you could pop it yourself in a brown paper bag. Kettle corn is my fav.

22. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    5 February, 2009 at 10:33 pm (6 years ago)

omg! I had no idea that you can make popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag! this is so neat, I am definitely going to be saving some mula =)

23. FoodsThatFit
    6 February, 2009 at 11:59 am (6 years ago)

What a cool talent you have making earrings! They are really pretty!

Abbie

24. emily
    7 February, 2009 at 12:42 pm (6 years ago)

I always make “paperbag popcorn!”

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Hobbies & popcorn :)