I made some “baked” goodies last night, using just a pan and a burner! (And the ingredients.) These are soda biscuits. They remind me slightly of Irish soda bread, but the soda flavor is toned down by the mild sweetness.
Maggie’s Soda Biscuits
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional; you can substitute with this amount of flour/oats/etc)
- 2 teaspoons stevia (or other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened chocolate)
- 1/2 small ripe banana, mashed (applesauce would work too)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat a pan sprayed with cooking spray on low-medium heat.
- Mix together the dry ingredients – flour, wheat germ, stevia, soda, salt.
- Mix together (separately) the wet ingredients except for the vinegar – milk and banana.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Then add the vinegar. If the dough is still too dry, add a little bit more milk.
- Shape into 4 biscuits and place in the pan. Cook, covered, for about 13 minutes. Flip them, and cook, uncovered, for another 13 minutes.
Serve with some Earth Balance. They are great with breakfast or as a late night snack.