Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books

I am so sad… that it took me this long to try oat bran! Heather is always raving about it, and we seem to like the same things, so I knew I had to try it.  She even wrote a very informative post on oat bran vs. oatmeal today (oat bran wins!).

Oat bran meal #1:

3 oat bran and salad 300x225 Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books

• 3/4 cup oat bran, cinnamon – this time I didn’t use much water and it was very chewy – LOVE!
  • big salad of romaine with jicama, apple, sprouts, green beans (dressing was shoyu, olive oil, and a splash of POM juice.  Shoyu is a slightly sweet soy sauce that’s common in macrobiotic diets.)

How many meals have I wasted on inferior grains?  The smooth yet chewy texture is so appealing to me.  I had it with 2 of my meals today.  A note – I’ve been doing something a little different with my eating recently – I have 4 slightly smaller meals and a few small snacks.  It’s working really well.  I’m able to do this because I’m not working, so I should take advantage of it now.

Oat bran meal #2:

4 oat bran and apple 300x225 Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books

• 3/4 cup oat bran, cinnamon, drizzled with brown rice syrup – this time I used more water and it was creamier but still chewy – LOVE again!
  • organic pink lady apple with Maranatha almond butter

Who else was impressed to see YOGA on The Biggest Loser last night?  Bob Harper never ceases to amaze me.  He taught the contestants power yoga routines and had them sweating.  I loved the contestants’ reflections on the session – they said it grounded them, and gave them strength to be calm in stressful situations (like the weigh-ins).  I think it would be awesome if yoga became more popular – maybe our country could get a bit more peaceful.

I also got a package today (not secret cupid yet) from Leng @ A Fat Cat Who Created A Vegetarian.  I won her contest a few days ago and she sent me some lovely goodies:

1 lengs contest 300x225 Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books

• 2 jars of coconut milk
  • chili sauce
  • agar agar flakes
  • Chinese 5-spice powder
  • star anise!

I cannot wait to use these things.  I’ve been meaning to buy Agar Agar flakes forever, and I was about to get them this week but my package came instead!  Leng sent me a recipe for coconut jelly which sounded great.

I am off to read a new book from the library with a mug of peppermint tea – The Food Revolution by John Robbins (of the Baskin-Robbins family).  It’s recommended reading for my macrobiotic experimentHave you read any good food/health/cook books recently?  Or other great books? (I’m always looking for recommendations.)

35 Comments on Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books

1. Victoria
    11 February, 2009 at 7:45 pm (6 years ago)

Great guest post on Tina’s blog! My husband is serious ADDICTED to that chili sauce. He basically uses it like ketchup: eggs, potatoes, burgers, pretty much everything gets a huge scoop of chili sauce before he eats it.

2. Meg
    11 February, 2009 at 8:15 pm (6 years ago)

I love oat bran. It has such an awesome texture.

Congrats on the winnings!

3. sue
    11 February, 2009 at 8:40 pm (6 years ago)

great guest post today- and those are some fun goodies you got in the mail!

4. Jules (the sister)
    11 February, 2009 at 8:45 pm (6 years ago)

John Robbins wrote a book I read about two weeks ago, May All Be Fed. It’s about being vegan. You should read that one too :)

11 February, 2009 at 9:58 pm (6 years ago)

So glad you’re loving the oat bran (thanks for the shout out), and I love that you eat it with different meals throughout the day. Why I think I have to cut myself off after breakfast is beyond me.

I love coconut milk, and I’ve always wanted to agar agar flakes as well. Can’t wait to see what you concoct with them.

Sounds like you’re really liking your macrobiotic experiment…it’s weird not seeing bowls of yogurt in your posts. :)

Have a good night Maggie.

6. annie
    11 February, 2009 at 10:05 pm (6 years ago)

i LOVE that wooden spoon you’re using!

7. Katie
    11 February, 2009 at 10:32 pm (6 years ago)

I loved your post on Tina’s blog! Due to a beginner’s injury, I’m just starting to run again and your tips were REALLY helpful. I’m trying to be super cautious so I don’t hurt myself again!

Can’t wait to see what you do with that coconut milk!

8. HangryPants
    11 February, 2009 at 11:47 pm (6 years ago)

Wow. I guess oat bran really is that good. I need to try it right away.

I was watching that part of the BL last night and felt so happy for the contestants and it made me love Bob just a little more.

9. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    12 February, 2009 at 12:06 am (6 years ago)

I think Bob is trying to promote his new yoga DVD. I keep waiting for it to show up on Exercise TV, but no such luck yet.

10. Pearl
    12 February, 2009 at 1:10 am (6 years ago)

i love that hot sauce that you have! i put it on everything :)

11. Lara
    12 February, 2009 at 2:54 am (6 years ago)

You are doing a great job of making macrobiotic food look delicious! I’ll have to give oat bran a try.

12 February, 2009 at 4:23 am (6 years ago)

love oat bran, they’re so creamy! You used 3/4 cup? that makes a huge bowl!
    I’ve reading a lot about chinese medicine, how food is considered, and how they help/affect our health. I wish I could share with you those book, unfortunately they’re in chinese.

13. Allison
    12 February, 2009 at 5:53 am (6 years ago)

Hey Maggie,
    I was just curious (this is so random!) if you know how many page views you get a day. Your blog seems so popular, and so I was just wondering :). I have a blogspot blog and was wondering if maybe I should switch to wordpress, so I’m doing some investigating. Thanks girl!

12 February, 2009 at 6:10 am (6 years ago)

This is a dumb question, but is oat bran gluten-free??

15. Shelby
    12 February, 2009 at 6:49 am (6 years ago)

Oat bran is delicious! I love how creamy it gets…so yummy.

Heck yes for yoga!

Ooo and coconut jelly sounds so intriguing.

16. Courtney (The Hungry Yogini)
    12 February, 2009 at 7:28 am (6 years ago)

I love the book Yogi in the Kitchen. It has lots of yum, healthy, Ayurvedic meals. It’s a blend of a few different healthy lifestyles…I think mediteranean is in there too. It’s good!

17. Sharon
    12 February, 2009 at 7:58 am (6 years ago)

Wow, oat bran looks great!
    And Leng is just amazing, isn’t she!

18. Sarah (Tales of Expansion)
    12 February, 2009 at 7:58 am (6 years ago)

i love oat bran too!
    man, you’re going to have so much fun with the stuff that came in that package!

19. K
    12 February, 2009 at 9:16 am (6 years ago)

I tried oat bran preblog but I soooooo did not do it right and it tasted awful! Yours sounds yummy though :)

20. Danielle
    12 February, 2009 at 9:27 am (6 years ago)

Oh gosh, I’ve got to go out and try some oat bran! :)

I finished reading, The Other Boleyn Girl, and loved it. It may not be the most intellectual or challenging read but it definitely sucks you in, I highly recommend it!

21. Julie
    12 February, 2009 at 9:28 am (6 years ago)

I was so excited to see your guest post on Tina’s blog! I’ve just really gotten into running and I would love to run a half marathon or 10K by this summer. Any good advice on training for that? Thanks :)

22. Marissa
    12 February, 2009 at 10:09 am (6 years ago)

I’ve had that chili sauce before! It’s good on snap peas – ok, well, actually it’s good on everything!

23. gina (fitnessista)
    12 February, 2009 at 11:44 am (6 years ago)

what an awesome package of goodies!
    i love 5 spice powder and just bought some agar flakes and have yet to use them
    i hope you’re having a wonderful day!

24. Dori
    12 February, 2009 at 12:54 pm (6 years ago)

My mom’s maiden name was Robbins and she used to have a friend in elementary school whose last name was Baskin… so you can just imagine what they told people :)

25. Michelle
    12 February, 2009 at 2:05 pm (6 years ago)

what a fabulously short but sweet review of both. :) Stilllll not ready to take the plunge yet for me. hahaha and YAY for all those Asian cooking cooks! Star Anise is sooo yummy in braised foods. :P Yum yum!

26. Julie
    12 February, 2009 at 2:16 pm (6 years ago)

Hey girl thanks so much for the email :) That was so sweet! Definitely take your advice. Love your blog and especially the name! Have a good one

27. Clean Veggie
    12 February, 2009 at 6:44 pm (6 years ago)

what is the difference between oatmeal and oatbran?
    looks delicious :)

28. Sagan
    12 February, 2009 at 9:40 pm (6 years ago)

Interesting, I’ve only ever used oat bran in things like muffins etc, never on its own- I’ll have to give it a try!

Also if you check out the book and product reviews section on my blog I’ve got some good health books to recommend :)

29. Peggy (Mom)
    13 February, 2009 at 12:53 pm (6 years ago)

That is too funny! Oat bran was one of your first foods. I used to sweeten it with ground up raisins…. you don’t remember?! LOL

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Oat bran WOW & popular yoga & books