I made these tonight – they are so good! I wanted a macrobiotic dessert/snack/sweet, so this is what I came up with. Bobby’s review: “I really liked them, and they’re not too sweet; the raisins are great little pockets of flavor and make these scones delicious.”
I agree with Bobby – they’re light, and I love the texture that the oat bran gives them. The small amount of oil makes them just flaky enough and slightly crisp on the outside. I hope you try them out!
Oat Bran Mini Scones (Macrobiotic)
Ingredients (makes 10 mini scones)
- 1.25 cups oat bran
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (or other sweetener)
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water and drained
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the oil and mix well. Then add the brown rice syrup, raisins, and milk.
- Lightly rub olive oil on a baking sheet. Drop big spoonfuls of the batter (should be thick) onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I am a total scone lover and I’m always trying to find healthy alternatives. What’s your favorite baked good/pastry? Have you made a “healthy” version of it?