A New Breakfast :)

First, check out my Recipe page – I finally organized ALL of my recipes and they’re in one place for easy access.  Let me know if you try any of them.

I’ve been having oat bran every morning for over a week now.  I don’t want to get sick of it, so I decided to try something new-ish today.  It was still oat bran, but it was cold!  I made “overnight oat bran”.

36 overnight oat bran 300x225 A New Breakfast :)

• soak overnight: 2/3 cup oat bran (dry measurement), 2/3 cup almond milk, ~1/4 cup water, cinnamon (I think I might have used too much actually)
  • add in the morning: 3 tablespoons PB2 (not macrobiotic), 2 tablespoons water

I’m not really sure how I feel about overnight oat bran.  It tasted a little odd, and I think I prefer the chew of cooked oat bran.  It was a good experiment though.  I’ll have to see how it does with the full-ness factor.

Before I had my overnight oat bran I did some gentle yoga from YogaDownload.com.  First I did Detox Yoga #2 (20 minutes), and then I did Gentle Hatha Yoga #1 (20 minutes).  I’m getting into slower yoga since I’ve been sick, and it’s kind of nice.  I’m appreciating it more than I used to.

In the news:

My friend (and fellow yogi) sent me that article yesterday.  A lot of the points that Bittman makes are ones that us food bloggers already know – whole grains are full of fiber, keep you full longer, and help you maintain a healthy weight.  He offers some new ideas as well (a polenta pizza, breakfast risotto, and breakfasts from around the globe like Chinese congee).  Check it out if you have a chance.

Don’t forget to check out the Recipes page – it’s broken down by meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, salads, soups, sides, desserts) and most of them are vegan/vegetarian.

Happy Friday – what are your weekend plans?  I’m still pretty open, but I’m looking forward to a nice dinner out with Bobby.

18 Comments on A New Breakfast :)

1. Marissa
    20 February, 2009 at 1:15 pm (5 years ago)

I love Mark Bittman!

2. Erin
    20 February, 2009 at 1:18 pm (5 years ago)

I just did some gentle yoga, as I’m feeling under the weather! It is nice to take it slow some days and give the body a rest. I did the Gentle Hatha from yogadownloads actually!
    The grains info is cool, I need more breakfast grains in my life. They are soooo good!

3. gary
    20 February, 2009 at 1:19 pm (5 years ago)

I liked Mark Bittman’s article too, and we rec’d his veg cookbook for Christmas and it is the BEE’s knees I’ll tell ya. he really explains thing well and comprehensively and simply too!

4. FoodsThatFit
    20 February, 2009 at 1:40 pm (5 years ago)

I’m loving the organized recipe page! I’ll for sure let you know when I try some of the recipes!

20 February, 2009 at 1:50 pm (5 years ago)

it’s so nice that you experience new ways to prepare the same ingredients! I love doing that! :D
    I’ve never tried overnight oats yet, although I saw it in many blogs. I guess I’ll try it when spring/summer comes. I just don’t think it’s good for my stomach to have cold breakfast yet!
    I’ll dig into your recipe page! :)

6. Shelby
    20 February, 2009 at 2:53 pm (5 years ago)

I kept reading on your “About Me” page that you had a recipe tab but I could never find it…I’m so excited to try them out!!!

7. Olga
    20 February, 2009 at 3:08 pm (5 years ago)

i also read that article in the Times! I really liked the polenta pizza and risotto for bfast!

20 February, 2009 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

HOLY YUM!!

9. K
    20 February, 2009 at 4:53 pm (5 years ago)

Sorry I made you crave a Krispy Kreme! Yay for the recipe page :)

No weekend plans here – just taking it easy!

10. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    20 February, 2009 at 5:10 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for the support! I can’t believe I still haven’t had any oat bran – I’m a huge fan of whole grains, how does the taste compare to regular oatmeal?

11. annie
    20 February, 2009 at 6:02 pm (5 years ago)

i’d eat congee everyday if it wasnt such a long and hard process.

12. Clean Veggie
    20 February, 2009 at 6:07 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for the recipes!

mm your oatbran looks awesome :)
    whole grains are the way to go!

13. Mimi
    20 February, 2009 at 8:06 pm (5 years ago)

The oat bran looks like brown cream of wheat. Is the texture similar? Cream of wheat was a comfort food growing up, but I don’t eat it anymore because of the lack of fiber.

20 February, 2009 at 9:34 pm (5 years ago)

I’m excited about visiting your recipe page…I’m sure I’ll be there often.

Hope you’re feeling better soon and enjoy your dinner out with Bobby.

Is regular nut butter considered macrobiotic?

15. HangryPants
    20 February, 2009 at 9:36 pm (5 years ago)

Someone else just made overnight oat bran and it looked fabulous there and it looks just as good now!

16. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    21 February, 2009 at 12:20 am (5 years ago)

I’m checking out the recipe page and the Bittman story…thanks for sharing both!

Oh, and thanks for testing out the overnight oat bran. I don’t think I will now ;)

17. Lara
    21 February, 2009 at 7:01 am (5 years ago)

Ok, lovin’ the recipe page. I had no idea you had so many to share! I’ve been wanting to make a homemade Larabar-type thing so I’ll have to check that one out soon.

18. Lara
    21 February, 2009 at 7:34 am (5 years ago)

P.S. You are so lucky you prefer broccoli to pasta! I can eat ridiculous amounts of pasta, which is why I have to ration it out so I don’t go nuts! But you’re right–the veggies really help with the bulk + deliciousness!