My two weeks of eating macrobiotically (mostly) are over tonight. It was an eye-opening experience and one that I’m really glad I took on. I’ll keep this simple. There are some things I’m leaving out, but I think this is a good summary Check out my summary at the end of last week for more of my thoughts.
I’m not going to continue to be strictly macrobiotic. It’s just too limiting for me. But eating macrobiotically is all about eating healthy, local, unprocessed food, enjoying it, and eating mindfully. . I WILL continue to do these things, just without the macrobiotic title and a little more flexibility.
- Unsweetened Ketchup (not truly macrobiotic, but delicious)
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Miso soup with breakfast
- Oat bran
- My skin. I haven’t gotten a pimple in over a week. My skin hasn’t glowed like this since middle school. (And I went off of my prescription creams at the beginning of the two weeks.)
- My sugar cravings have diminished.
- My stomach is much less bloaty/annoying all the time.
- I have more energy in the mornings, and I don’t crash in the afternoons.
- I’m more hungry in the morning (so I can eat a good breakfast), and less hungry/snacky at night (but this is still an ongoing struggle).
- I’ve learned to appreciate where my food comes from. Processed foods have so much unnecessary crap. I would rather eat a fresh organic apple with some natural peanut butter than crack open a granola bar (but that’s just me, and I’m obsessed with apples).
- Fruit may not be as “sugary” as candy, but eating 7 pieces a day is not that good. I’m pretty sure this is why my skin cleared up. (Thoughts on this?)
- I miss yogurt!
- Dairy/sugar are in so many things. Sugar especially – breads, cereal, nut butters, some potato chips – just to name a few.
What I’m going to keep doing:
- Try to avoid dairy/eggs. This honestly wasn’t the hard part (yes, I missed yogurt, but it wasn’t so bad). I will probably have these occasionally, but I’ll make sure they are organic/hormone-free. I’ll definitely be loving some soy frozen yogurt from Fraiche (pictured above).
- No more fake sweeteners (gum, light yogurt, diet soda). This will be hard to keep up in the long run – I did drink a fair amount of diet soda before this experiment, and I was a big gum-chewer (stopped cold turkey a week ago).
- Avoid most sugar. Use brown rice syrup instead. Keep skin clear
- Try to limit fruits to 2 per day. (Whoops, I’m at 3 today already – but that’s better than before!)
- Keep a normal/consistent sleep schedule. It’s so much easier to get up early and be productive when I have enough sleep. (Duh.)
- Keep a normal/consistent eating schedule. Snacking late at night is usually what makes me not want to eat in the mornings. But I like being hungry when I wake up!
- Don’t do anything else while eating… maybe. I would love to keep doing this, but I’ll be honest -I wasn’t able to do this that much during the experiment, and I don’t think I’ll be able to keep it up afterwards.
So that’s the plan. Thanks for following me the past two weeks, and PLEASE don’t hesitate to contact me or ask ANY QUESTION you’d like about my experiences. My email is magpie707 (at) gmail (dot) com. My challenge for you now is this – think before you eat, and enjoy yourself.
Will you challenge yourself in some way this coming week? Let me know!
- PB2 Review
- PB&Co. Review (Mighty Maple and Dark Chocolate Dreams)
- Yummy healthy crackers (by Ener-G)
- New yoga wear
- Open requests – what do you want to see here?