Go with the flow

I’ve been sick for almost a week now, but I’m finally getting better.  I decided to do some fun cardio this morning (dance-y video) followed by a detoxing yoga flow routine that I made up myself (30 minutes or so).  I’m even hoping to get in a walk later today – I miss exercising.

I’ve been feeling in a food rut recently.  I love what I eat, but I think I need a change.  Nothing too drastic, just less of the same foods over and over again (oat bran, kabocha fries), and more trying new dishes.  How do you motivate yourself to make and try new things?

I did try a semi-new idea yesterday – banana whipped oat bran.  I love bananas in oatmeal, but I was out of bananas until this weekend.  I made oat bran and stirred it vigorously to spread out the banana.  This bowl contained (and that’s miso soup in the mug):

1 banana oat bran miso soup 300x225 Go with the flow

• 3/4 cup oat bran, 1.5 cups of water plus a splash
  • 1/2 banana, chopped up
  • dash of salt (no cinnamon!)
  • big spoonful of Better’n Peanut Butter stirred in (probably 1.5 tablespoons?)

So far this has been my favorite bowl of oat bran ever. I made small bowls of this goodness to go with lunch AND dinner as well.  See what I mean about a food rut?  Once I find something I love I can’t stop eating it.

2 swiss chard fries 300x225 Go with the flow

I did make these new and interesting “fries” as a snack to eat with my unsweetened ketchupswiss chard and green beans.  I popped them under the broiler with some oregano and salt (microwaved the beans first) and they came out really well.  I tried kale fries once before but didn’t like them; swiss chard is much better.

Some giveaways -

21 Comments on Go with the flow

1. Yasmin
    24 February, 2009 at 11:35 am (5 years ago)

That was a very scary article! Thankfully I have a pretty stable job that hopefully will not be affected by the economy. I would hate to use that as an excuse of reverting to my anorexic days.
    I definitely feel like I’m in a food rut! When I find something I like, I eat it again and again. I think I will try to get out of my rut by trying one new recipe a week. Baby steps, right?

2. FoodsThatFit
    24 February, 2009 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

I love looking at all the pics of food from other blogs and cooking magazines, that motivates me to try new recipes. I have found a lot of things I love that I never would have tried otherwise!

3. Anna
    24 February, 2009 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

I get stuck in food ruts too sometimes… thats why I like these food blogs, so I can get new ideas from everyone else! I also find that I’m more likely to try new foods/meals if I plan out some new meals in advance. Otherwise I just want to make what is quick, easy, and familiar when I am crunched for time.

4. Sagan
    24 February, 2009 at 12:48 pm (5 years ago)

Glad you’re feeling better- and trying new dishes is always fun. That’s one of the best parts about going traveling, to taste all the delicious foods!

24 February, 2009 at 1:12 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie
    I’m the exact same way if I find a food I really like. It appears over and over again. I’ve had fun challenging myself at breakfast each morning with a new meal everyday. It may not be new food, but I’ll serve it in a different way.

Best oat bran bowl ever – OK then, I’ll have to try it. :)

6. Erin
    24 February, 2009 at 1:37 pm (5 years ago)

I’m trying to pull myself out of a food rut but definitely still eat a lot of the same foods! Once I like something, I’m really hard to change! This doesn’t just count breakfasts. I do the same with every aspect of my life. I try to branch out, but it’s against my nature.
    Your oat bran sounds delish!

7. Dori
    24 February, 2009 at 2:28 pm (5 years ago)

Your bowl of oats looks and sounds delicious, and making me jealous :) I wish I could work out at home but I just can’t stick with it with so many distractions.. oh well, my gym is next door to my building and my boyfriends is IN his building!

8. Shelby
    24 February, 2009 at 2:36 pm (5 years ago)

Very interesting take on eating disorders, I think that could be a problem as well.

LOVE the oat bran, I’m on a Better n’ PB kick lately so of course it sounds amazing.

Sorry, I don’t have any advice on the rut…as you can see I’ve been eating the same salad for like a week and I used to have a sweet p every night!

24 February, 2009 at 2:53 pm (5 years ago)

I’m the same when I find something that I like, I keep eating it over and over again. Fortunately I don’t get sick of the stuffs that I like. But from time to time, I try new things inspired by others who I know have similar taste as mine (like you). :)

24 February, 2009 at 2:54 pm (5 years ago)

oh…I used to add bananas to my oats which I loved, but I don’t eat more banana during winter time anymore because according to chinese medicine it’s a cold food and we’re not supposed to eat them during winter.

11. K
    24 February, 2009 at 3:42 pm (5 years ago)

It’s hard for me to get out of food ruts because I genuinely crave the same thing all the time!

Green bean fries?! I LOVE that idea!! Glad you’re starting to feel better :)

12. Peggy (Mom)
    24 February, 2009 at 4:12 pm (5 years ago)

I get out of ruts by trying new veggies and also by looking at cookbooks. Sometimes I look at mainstream cookbooks just to get a fresh perspective and try to adapt traditional recipes to vegetarian. I do like vegetarian comfort foods that remind me of traditional favorites like meatloaf or swiss steak. i also switch to soup as a change from salads and stir fry’s.

13. Larissa
    24 February, 2009 at 4:28 pm (5 years ago)

That bowl of oats sounds amazing! Sorry i havent posted recently , but i catch up on ur posts, and I think is great the macrobiotic diet:) What foods you can´t eat?

14. Bec
    24 February, 2009 at 4:48 pm (5 years ago)

Your oat bran looks good, who cares if you eat it all the time!

15. Pearl
    24 February, 2009 at 4:56 pm (5 years ago)

I get into food ruts, too, but I think it’s because I’m a creature of habit!

16. Clean Veggie
    24 February, 2009 at 6:38 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for the article!
    it was really interesting and scary too.

love the eats :)

17. Sharon
    24 February, 2009 at 6:51 pm (5 years ago)

Maybe have someone else try the new incorporation of different foods with you! =D

18. juliet
    24 February, 2009 at 7:12 pm (5 years ago)

The oat bran with banana looks very good! In terms of motivation, I guess I’m always looking for new things, although our pantry is always getting so full that I often get stuck eating all the stuff we already have. :)

19. gina (fitnessista)
    25 February, 2009 at 8:53 am (5 years ago)

i’ve always avoided swiss chard for some reason.. so weird because i love great veggies!
    hope your day is going well :D

20. carolinebee
    25 February, 2009 at 8:54 am (5 years ago)

WOW maggie..that article is so interesting. I’ve noticed ED thoughts creeping back in a lot lately. I know it’s my own situation and personal life, but I can see how the economic situation breeds fear, confusion and lots of unknowns- ALL of which are huge triggers for me when it comes to turning back to ED. Everything feels kind of out of control, so I can completely see how ED can pop up, not only physically or to save money, but just in the emotional sense of something to turn to in a time of uncertainty. Thanks for that, very cool :D

21. HangryPants
    25 February, 2009 at 9:20 am (5 years ago)

I hope you feel better!

About the article, isn’t skipping meals because you have no money and skipping meals to restrict your food intake two different things? It seems like there is a different intent that makes the two behaviors different.