The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

I made this for lunch yesterday because I was bored, and trying to get out of a rut.  I’m glad I left my rut – this was delicious.  I had a small bowl of it plain, plus another few scoops over romaine lettuce that needed to be used up.

9 butternut coconut rice 300x225 The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

Ingredients (makes 2 large servings or 3-4 small ones)

• 2 teaspoons oil (optional)
  • 1.5 cups cubed butternut squash
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Asian 5-spice powder
  • freshly grated ginger
  • 1 cup peas (I used frozen)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (you could use light, but I used regular)
  • 1 cup water
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • salt & pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Heat the oil (or just spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray) over high heat in a medium/large pot.  Add the butternut, scallions, ginger, and spices.  Saute for 3-4 minutes.
  2. Add the peas and cook for another minute or two.
  3. Add the rice, coconut milk, water, lime juice, and s&p.  Bring to a boil, then simmer (covered) until the liquid is absorbed.  My lid has a hole in it for steam to leave, so I had to keep adding liquid as it was cooking.  This took about 35 minutes.  (Brown rice is slow.)
  4. Serve – with some steamed/sauteed greens would be perfect.

8 butternut coconut rice salad 300x225 The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

I also made a new breakfast – granola, apple, and kamut puffs with almond milk.  It was really good, and the apple was huge so it took a very long time to eat.  It didn’t hold me like the oat bran does, but it was a nice change of pace.  I’m not really a granola person, but my local market has a homemade kind that’s decent.  I think it has coconut in it – yum icon smile The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever  That’s miso soup in the mug.

7 apple kamut miso 300x225 The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

Linky link: I found a very cool article on Japanese Bento boxes and their history.  Bento boxes are a source of pride for those who create them (moms, girlfriends) and there is some rivalry between children and men as to who has the best bento.  The article is very interesting, and it’s a great look into Japanese culture.

Did your mom/dad pack your lunch?  What was your favorite thing that (s)he would make for you?

29 Comments on The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

1. Pearl
    25 February, 2009 at 11:08 am (5 years ago)

Mmmm! Coconut rice? wow! how creative :D

my grandpa used to bring my lunch and i’d eat in the car.. i used to have bento boxes but my caucasian friends would all point and say “eww what’s that?” to things that were unfamiliar.. so i just ate in the car instead.

2. Andrea of Care to Eat
    25 February, 2009 at 11:20 am (5 years ago)

My lack of a need of variety with my food probably comes from my mom – she would pack my lunch and EVERY day I had a PB sandwich on wheat bread, carrots, and a Hi-C. To change it up sometimes she’d put a quarter in my lunchbox for some milk. Whoop.

25 February, 2009 at 11:37 am (5 years ago)

great asian-thai style rice! when something has coconut I immediately think it’s thai! :D
    My mom never packed me lunch.. but I like packing lunch for myself!

4. Shelby
    25 February, 2009 at 12:24 pm (5 years ago)

That looks amazing, I’m saving this recipe for sure!

Mmm love the breakfast.

5. lauren
    25 February, 2009 at 12:51 pm (5 years ago)

great question. yes, my mom and dad packed my lunch almost every day growing up. My favorite was when my dad packed because he would put in huge portions. Instead of 2 cookies – i got 4. Instead of a small baggie of chips, I got the entire bag. It was great. :)

6. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    25 February, 2009 at 2:20 pm (5 years ago)

I love Bento Boxes!! So good! My mom used to pack me a turkey sandwich, chips, Tastycake, and fruit roll up every day! Miss that!!

25 February, 2009 at 2:20 pm (5 years ago)

WOWZA!!!

My mom ALWAYS packed my lunch; and even included a little note each day :-)

8. Sharon
    25 February, 2009 at 2:35 pm (5 years ago)

My mom always packed my lunch – sandwiches were my favorite! Can you tell? LOL

9. FoodsThatFit
    25 February, 2009 at 3:14 pm (5 years ago)

My favorite part of the lunches my mom packed for me was her homemade sugar cookies and the note on my napkin!

10. Erin
    25 February, 2009 at 3:24 pm (5 years ago)

Linky link! Carby carbs! I love your words. :) Time for your own vocab page!
    My mom made mine and she always put a napkin with a smiley face!

11. Leng
    25 February, 2009 at 3:25 pm (5 years ago)

sadly my parents never packed me lunch. I always ate the school lunch, which was actually really good. My schools put in real effort to making the cafeteria food delicious. They had stuff like fancy butter rice with sauteed vegetables.

12. Peggy (Mom)
    25 February, 2009 at 3:28 pm (5 years ago)

yes…both parents would pack my lunch…I loved liverwurst and mayo on Strohman Merry Go Round Bread (it was really round so the crust was the same all around). I also liked ham and mayo on this bread and I would put potato chips into the sandwich. Amazing what we used to eat back then…lol…and that we survived with our arteries intact!

13. Lara
    25 February, 2009 at 3:30 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve been wanting to buy a bento box of my own to eat dinner in!
    My mom used to pack my lunch and I would always hate it. Now I wish she would!

14. K
    25 February, 2009 at 4:31 pm (5 years ago)

I love your made up lunch!! Sounds delish!

My mom would pack my lunch. I don’t really remember what it used to be but my senior year of high school I would have crackers and cheese, some sort of fruit, and a diet coke – SO healthy, right?! Ugh, it was what I wanted!

15. Clean Veggie
    25 February, 2009 at 5:55 pm (5 years ago)

holy moly that does sound fabulous!!

16. Meg Wolff
    25 February, 2009 at 6:12 pm (5 years ago)

This DOES look like the best rice EVER, Maggie!

17. Anna
    25 February, 2009 at 6:13 pm (5 years ago)

My mom packed my lunch until high school, and I got some pretty creative stuff when we were running low on groceries. English muffins, ritz crackers, etc standing in for sandwich bread- haha. By the time high school rolled around I ended up packing my own. Whenever my mom was away, my dad took over the lunch packing and he always made the BEST lunches! He would get special yummy bakery rolls for sandwiches and add a little chocolate treat at the bottom of the bag. It was such a novelty for him because he did it so infrequently, so he really had fun with it!

18. ttfn300
    25 February, 2009 at 6:32 pm (5 years ago)

looks fabulous! i need to get me (or make) some chinese 5-spice… seems like it would be fun to play with :)

19. erin
    25 February, 2009 at 7:08 pm (5 years ago)

i read somewhere that you like Better N PB!

I LOVEEEEE IT

mmmmmmmm

good food.

20. NAOmni
    25 February, 2009 at 7:15 pm (5 years ago)

Rice recipes are right up my ally right now, and this looks great!

NAOmni

21. juliet
    25 February, 2009 at 8:47 pm (5 years ago)

I must try your coconut rice recipe (so creative!) Yum – I can’t wait to try it.

22. Marian eats. The Italian way
    25 February, 2009 at 9:18 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks so much for posting the recipe! This one will be going in my little blog recipe book!

23. Danielle
    26 February, 2009 at 8:27 am (5 years ago)

My mom packed my lunch up until high school it was typically and sandwich of some kind, but my dad packed my lunch in high school, he made pb&j sandwiches that were the best ever!

24. fitforfree
    26 February, 2009 at 9:50 am (5 years ago)

yummy-looking rice!
    I miss lettuce, cheese, and tomato sandwiches on whole-grain bread in my lunch — ohh those were awesome.

25. HangryPants
    26 February, 2009 at 9:12 pm (5 years ago)

Yes, my mom always made my lunch. I had a sandiwch w/ turkey and cheese, a fruit (usually an apple), a yogurt, juice box and snack like oreos. In fact, I want that lunch everyday again!

26. Michal
    19 July, 2009 at 12:11 pm (5 years ago)

this looks so delish! i know that this would taste yummy scooped over a huge salad! thanks for posting this :)

Michal

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Best Coconutty Butternutty Rice Ever

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1619