This recipe is loosely based off of a cake that our hosts in Italy baked for us last year (we stayed at a bed and breakfast – it was lovely). I decided to use oat bran instead of flour. I’ll post my version as well as the translation of the true Italian one. I asked our host for it because I liked it so much.
Maggie’s Maple Yogurt Cake
- 2.75 cups oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients
- Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, let cool. Slice in small squares and enjoy.
Dolce di yogurt (Italian version) = Yogurt Dessert
- 2 cups plain yogurt (500g di yogurt bianco)
- 3 eggs (uova)
- 5 tablespoons sugar (cucchiai di zucchero)
- 7/8 cup cooking oil (bicchiere pieno di olio di semi)
- 2.5 cups flour (300g di farina)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (bustina di lievito)
- lemon zest/lemon extract (aroma di limone, oppure buccia grattug giata di limone)
Mix the eggs with the sugar, add the other ingredients, and then mix them all together. Pour into a buttered dish and cook in the oven for 40 minutes at 356F. (Sbattere le uova con lo zucchero, aggiungere gli altri ingredienti e poi mescolare tutto. Versare in una pentola imburrata e cuocere nel forno per 40 min a 180C.)
The cake that our host prepared for us was absolutely divine – so moist and perfect. I hope you get a chance to try one of these versions.
I’m off to the farmers’ market now, and I will post pictures (as requested) later today. Have a lovely Sunday! Have you ever made a recipe that was written in another language?