New breakfast – wheat & oat bran!

I continued the 31-day Yoga Challenge this morning with YogaDownload’s 20 Minutes of Power #1 (Dawnelle is the instructor – my favorite).  I did this routine after 25 minutes of the Firm: Cardio Dance, which has been a recent addiction.  I plan on doing at least one Gentle Hatha Flow later on today as well (20 minutes).

I also tried a new breakfast today – oat bran AND wheat bran.  Wheat bran was on sale and I had no idea what it was, so of course I bought some.  Apparently it’s what gives Raisin Bran the “bran” taste.  I had miso soup on the side (this is a great way to get in veggies early in the day if you’re not in the mood for a green smoothie).  In this bowl:

15 wheat oat bran miso 300x225 New breakfast   wheat & oat bran!

• 1/2 cup oat bran
  • 1/3 cup wheat bran
  • 1/2 banana
  • spoon of PB&Co’s Mighty Maple

I’m thinking this might be a major “brick in my belly”, to quote Heather.  I hope you all try it – wheat bran is amazing with respect to nutritionals.  Per 1 cup serving: 125 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 37.4 grams carbohydrates, 24.8 grams fiber (!!!), 9 grams of protein.

I have so much on my to-do list right now.  Some of it is urgent, some of it can wait, but I’m feeling overwhelmed!

• Grocery shopping
  • Change the sheets
  • Finish and put away laundry
  • Tutor for a few hours this afternoon/tonight (this is one of my side jobs)
  • Work on semi-pro bono website (web design for friend of a friend)
  • Work on logo for consulting project
  • Work on template/website for consulting project
  • Make travel arrangements for upcoming cruise to Mexico (out of LA; this cruise has John Mayer, OAR, and Guster playing concerts on the boat)

Happy Monday!  What do you do when your to-do list gets out of hand?

31 Comments on New breakfast – wheat & oat bran!

1. Krista
    2 March, 2009 at 12:38 pm (6 years ago)

Looks like your day is shaping up to be super busy!! I love oat bran…I’ll have to give wheat bran a whirl! :)

2. Diana
    2 March, 2009 at 12:54 pm (6 years ago)

I am going to have to try miso for breakfast. I love it anyways and have been thinking about trying it out in the AM since I heard they eat it for breakfast all the time in Japan. I think your posts are about to push me over the edge into trying it. :)

3. Tanya
    2 March, 2009 at 12:59 pm (6 years ago)

I have about a week of oatmeal left and then I’m going to try your breakfast. I’ve never even attempted pure wheat and oat bran but I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing!

4. Sharon
    2 March, 2009 at 1:15 pm (6 years ago)

OH my gosh, I need oat bran!

5. Julie
    2 March, 2009 at 1:46 pm (6 years ago)

That is a big list of things to do! I can’t wait to do another sesh of yoga this afternoon…prob after the gym. This challenge is awesome because I feel like taking 20 minutes out for yoga is like taking time out just for your relaxation :) Nice job!

6. Erin
    2 March, 2009 at 2:07 pm (6 years ago)

Wheat Bran sounds great!
    My to do list is way out of hand and I’m just trying to get through it, but it makes me crazy.

7. Hangry Pants
    2 March, 2009 at 2:11 pm (6 years ago)

I love the bran in raisin bran! I need to try some wheat bran.

8. Biz
    2 March, 2009 at 2:25 pm (6 years ago)

Wow, that’s a long to do list! I don’t write stuff down, then I don’t feel bad that I don’t cross it off a list!

9. Michelle
    2 March, 2009 at 2:40 pm (6 years ago)

oooh I’ve always wondered how you eat wheat bran and oat bran but didn’t realize HOW FABULOUS the nutritionals were!! WOW!!!! that fiber would be perfect for me!!!!

Thanks so much for showing this new cool “thing” to me!!! Do you mind describing how it tastes??? Could I mix it into my oatmeal for example?

2 March, 2009 at 3:26 pm (6 years ago)

Wow Maggie – you do have a lot going on. Keep breathing – you’ll get it all done.

Thanks for the shout-out. I must find oat bran as I love “bricks in my belly”! 24.8 grams of fiber?!?..damn!

PS – I love Guster. Have you ever seen them live. The drummer does not use drumsticks, just his hands. Crazy.

11. NAOmni
    2 March, 2009 at 3:37 pm (6 years ago)

I do the easiest things first. Make that list shorter!

NAOmni

2 March, 2009 at 3:42 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve seen wheat bran in My Organic Store and wonder how it tastes. Now, I have free pass to buy some in my next trip! :D
    Dawnelle is wonderful, I love her classes.
    What’s Firm Cardio Dance?

13. K
    2 March, 2009 at 3:45 pm (6 years ago)

That sounds like a superstar breakfast!

Oooh classes & cruise?! I’m excited for more details :)

14. Julz
    2 March, 2009 at 4:08 pm (6 years ago)

DAMN WHEAT BRAN! (ha.)

Thanks for the review Magsters!! xoxo

15. Pearl
    2 March, 2009 at 4:11 pm (6 years ago)

what a fantastic breakfast to start off a busy day!

16. annie
    2 March, 2009 at 4:20 pm (6 years ago)

i forget about my list and just read magazines haha.

i need to purchase some oat bran, it’s everywhere in the blogging world!

2 March, 2009 at 4:23 pm (6 years ago)

AMAZING!!! Delish.

When my to-do list gets out of hand = I have a nervous breakdown :-(

18. Tyler (Raspberry Runner)
    2 March, 2009 at 6:13 pm (6 years ago)

great looking breakfast! i need to try oat bran :)

when my to-do list gets out of hand, i go into denial about all the work i have to do and procrastinate: food blogs, facebook, fmylife.com…. this isn’t good advice, but it’s what i do when i get overwhelmed! if you ever need ideas on how to waste time, i am an expert!

19. Clean Veggie
    2 March, 2009 at 6:19 pm (6 years ago)

sounds like a filling breakfast!!!
    im so jealous your going on a cruise :D

20. Divya Vikram
    2 March, 2009 at 7:02 pm (6 years ago)

Hey I too go to a community college!!

21. Melissa S.
    2 March, 2009 at 7:23 pm (6 years ago)

whew! that is some to do list!

and love the breakfast! way to keep you full!

22. juliet
    2 March, 2009 at 8:37 pm (6 years ago)

You do have a lot to do! I actually hadn’t though about buying wheat bran before (nor mixing it with my yummy oat bran). That is a great idea! I love that raisin bran taste. I’m envious for your cruise btw!

23. Sagan
    2 March, 2009 at 9:01 pm (6 years ago)

I have some wheat bran in my cupboard… now I know what to do with it :)

24. Peggy (Mom)
    3 March, 2009 at 2:55 am (6 years ago)

What!!!!! A cruise with Guster and John Mayer!!!!!!Did I know about this? Actually…maybe I did but forgot…I am SOOOOOOOOO jealous.
    Ahem…the wheat bran sounds good and I don’t think I have ever tried it. I can pick some up for my cookie baker daughter to add to her recipes. (since I don’t eat cereal)

25. Victoria
    3 March, 2009 at 10:27 am (6 years ago)

25 grams of fiber in one serving?! Holy cow — that does sound like a brick!

26. gina (fitnessista)
    3 March, 2009 at 10:40 am (6 years ago)

that is one crazy to-do list! when mine gets to intense, i just take it day by day, or hour by hour if i need to. usually my friends will help me out (like one of them is babysitting the puppies right now since i have to work all day)
    hope you have a wonderful day <3

27. Leng
    3 March, 2009 at 10:55 am (6 years ago)

You definitely had a lot to do yesterday! How did you manage to fit everything in?

I will definitely look into yogadownloads.com more thoroughly. Maybe I didn’t give it a real chance huh? Oh, and I visited your Yoga page last night. Awesome addition! :-D It’s sOoo helpful. Thanks so much for putting that up. Sadi Nardini is my new favorite! The moves that she does sort of reminds like like Pilates moves, which is a plus!

28. Danielle
    3 March, 2009 at 11:40 am (6 years ago)

Good luck getting your to-do list complete! Have a great day!

29. Erin
    3 March, 2009 at 1:05 pm (6 years ago)

You are so elusive with the side project AND the community college gig.

30. Lara
    3 March, 2009 at 1:17 pm (6 years ago)

A cruise to Mexico?! So jealous! Hehe..only kidding, you are so busy that you defintiely deserve it. Hmmm…I wonder if they’ll have oat bran on the cruise ship?! :)

31. Jenni
    3 March, 2009 at 7:56 pm (6 years ago)

holy moly, i love the bran part of raisin bran! i will have to give this a try!

also, that cruise sounds like great fun!