Announcements, announcements, announcements!

Did any of you guys sing that “announcements” song at camp? I can’t remember where I first heard it, but it’s stuck in my head now.  I spent a few summers at a Quaker camp in the middle of nowhere, PA – it was called Camp Onas.  I also did my fair share of nature camps, and in high school my friend and I hosted our own summer camp for kids.

• My brother started a blogHill Climbin’ Blues – about hiking, food, and other randoms.  He’s a vegetarian (and has been for many years – maybe 6 now?) and possibly the most frugal person I’ve ever met.  He’s environmentally conscious, and wise well beyond his 19 years.  So far he’s posted about some nutty climbs that he’s done recently.

My to-do list is looking much better today, and I’m more relaxed.

• grocery shopping (today)
  • dye hair (sometime this week…)
  • travel arrangements for cruise (not sure when I’ll do this)
  • yoga (every day)
  • tutoring (every day)
  • free-lance websites (every day)
  • prep for yoga teacher training (with YogaFit) this weekend – watch video, do some reading.

We had a very cool dinner last night – butternut squash stew, homemade guacamole, stir-fried tempeh, and blue corn chips.

Butternut Squash Stew

16 butternut soup 300x209 Announcements, announcements, announcements!

Ingredients (rough measurements)

• few teaspoons of toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 2 medium firm tomatoes
  • parsley
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • chili powder
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 3-4 big leaves of red swiss chard, chopped

Directions – In a soup pot, heat the oil over high heat.  Add the onions and squash; saute for 4-5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and parsley and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes.  Add the spices and water, simmer on medium-high, uncovered, for another 5 minutes or so (squash should be tender at this point).  Add the greens and cook for another minute.  Serve hot.

17 ketchup tempeh 300x225 Announcements, announcements, announcements!18 guacamole 300x225 Announcements, announcements, announcements!

For the tempeh I just sauteed sliced tempeh in a little bit of toasted sesame oil, then added some homemade ketchup at the end.  Simple and yummy.  I dipped mine in the guac.

Around the blogs…

26 Comments on Announcements, announcements, announcements!

1. Lara
    3 March, 2009 at 1:20 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on going back to school! That is an exciting decision. I’ll have to check out your brother’s blog. My little bro is about that age and he isn’t as evolved as your brother sounds! I would be interested to see a vegetarian male diet though.

2. Dori
    3 March, 2009 at 1:58 pm (6 years ago)

That is so exciting about massage school! I can’t wait to hear more about it!

3 March, 2009 at 2:05 pm (6 years ago)

dinner looks delicious!!!
    so excited for you about yoga training this weekend! :D
    And good luck with back to school…it’s always good to learn more.

3 March, 2009 at 3:17 pm (6 years ago)

SO MUCH EXCITEMENT!!

5. NAOmni
    3 March, 2009 at 3:47 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve been trying to get my sister to start a blog…no success….what is a success however is homemade guacamole…always a winner…

NAOmni

6. Jenny
    3 March, 2009 at 3:48 pm (6 years ago)

Awesome about massage therapy school!! Congrats :)

Hope you got to some of your to do list!

7. gary
    3 March, 2009 at 3:57 pm (6 years ago)

Hey, what color for the hair, pink, green, maybe purple????

8. Sharon
    3 March, 2009 at 5:57 pm (6 years ago)

Great announcements! Massage therapy sounds awesome!!

9. Clean Veggie
    3 March, 2009 at 5:57 pm (6 years ago)

yayy for going back to school :) thats awesome!!
    what color are you dying your hair!? i would love to dye mine but for some reason I don’t have the guts. haha

10. FoodsThatFit
    3 March, 2009 at 6:17 pm (6 years ago)

Ahh, please don’t make me go back to girls camp days! JK :) I’m having flashbacks now from that song!

Where are you going on your cruise! I have never been on one, and would be nervous b/c I have awful motion sickness! Hopefully you are going somewhere warm!

I am impressed with your organized to-do list! I am a total list maker also and feel so much better when I have big long lines drawn through most of it to show it is done!

Have a good night girl!

11. Meghann
    3 March, 2009 at 6:49 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on going back to school! :)

12. Emily
    3 March, 2009 at 7:07 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I really don’t understand how people go without eating for so long..it makes me cranky!

I was also a camp counselor for 4 summers! I learned so much and had a great time.

It’s so cool that you’re going to be getting a massage therapy certificate!

13. K
    3 March, 2009 at 7:52 pm (6 years ago)

Congrats on your decision!! You will be a star student :)

LOVE the soup idea!

14. Jenni
    3 March, 2009 at 7:54 pm (6 years ago)

yes! we sang that song at my camp for sure! aww, now i’m thinking about summer camp…how fun it always was, huh?

i love the look of that stew. i’ve had a butternut squash sitting around in my dorm room, believe it or not, and i’ve been looking for something to do with it!

congrats on deciding to do massage therapy! that sounds like a great plan for you, and i’m glad you’re excited about it!

15. juliet
    3 March, 2009 at 9:52 pm (6 years ago)

That’s fabulous. Congrats on the decision to learn about massage therapy! I can’t wait to read about what you learn.

16. Hangry Pants
    3 March, 2009 at 11:55 pm (6 years ago)

DO you dye your hair yourself? Are you writing for other blogs? I want to read!!!

17. Kerri
    4 March, 2009 at 3:15 am (6 years ago)

Massage therapy! That is cool. Now that I graduated, I wantto go back as well…Maybe someday. I want to try the soup too!

18. Erin
    4 March, 2009 at 8:23 am (6 years ago)

I’m so thrilled for you Maggie! It’s like you’re finally able to do what you really want with your life! I’m so glad you’ve had all the experiences you’ve had thus far so that you’re able to know what you really want from life…I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to hear more!

19. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    4 March, 2009 at 9:17 am (6 years ago)

congrats on going back to school! this is so exciting!

20. Peggy (Mom)
    4 March, 2009 at 1:06 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks…now I have the announcements song stuck in my head…lol

21. Kerri
    6 March, 2009 at 3:50 pm (6 years ago)

I made the soup! It is gorgeous! I doubled the recipe so that I woud have leftovers.

22. Andrea of Care to Eat
    11 March, 2009 at 5:36 pm (6 years ago)

Your bro sounds almost as cool as his big sis!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Announcements, announcements, announcements!