YogaFit Level 1 – Day 2!

I had another wonderful day in Redwood City, CA – the second day of my YogaFit Level 1 training.  I have so much to say and I’m sure I will forget things, so expect to hear about this all week.

I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning to arrive by 8am (both days are 8am-6pm). The session started out with an introduction to the YogaFit style of teaching.  We learned their principles, how their classes are set up, and some history.  Then we got to experience a YogaFit style class with our instructor, the lovely Ansley.  This strong woman was full of wisdom and energy and really made me remember why I want this so badly.

The morning class was a beautiful flow class – warm-up, sun salutations, deeper holds, floor work, and a long savasana.  I was more rejuvenated after this class than I am after a more advanced class.  I think it was the energy in the room.

Then we learned over 40 poses and how to cue them.  We got to experience another class in the afternoon – a gentle class.  This followed the same format as the morning class, but the warm-up was on the back – something I’ve never experienced.  Again, I felt refreshed and alert.  We ended the day with a circle.  Everyone said one word to describe how they felt.  Mine: excited.

When we left yesterday we had homeworklearn one of the warmups and how to cue it (with notes is okay; I had to learn the standing warmup).  Read about the vinyasa flow (called half series).  Create 2 flows of 5 poses each with cues.  After 10 hours of learning, my brain and body were mush.  I did the homework and fell into bed around 11… which was more like midnight because of the time switch.

Got up at 6:45am and reset the alarm for 7… It didn’t go off and I woke up at 7:20.  Ran around like crazy and got to today’s session just in time.  In the morning we worked on more technique, we had another class (another great flow), and we practiced our warm-ups with partners.  This is the best way to learn – jumping right in to teaching.

In the afternoon we did more practice teaching – the two 5-pose flows that we had created the night before, and some of the half-series.  I had great partners in the morning and the afternoon and I felt like we all really connected.

Then came more logistical stuff (community service, liability).  Every graduate of YogaFit Level 1 has to complete 8 hours of yoga community service.  We have to provide classes to people who would otherwise not have the opportunity to practice yoga.  Only after we’ve completed this can we get the certificate of completion.

We ended with a game and a circle.  Everyone spoke for a few seconds about something that touched them this weekend.  Mine: realizing that we need to stay “in the present moment” on and off the mat.  So much of the philosophy behind yoga can go beyond the mat and into our daily lives.

My teacher’s closing words: “Be the change you want to see in the world.”  Gandhi.

The people I met and got to work with this weekend were amazing and I can’t wait to see many of them next month.  That’s right – I’m taking YogaFit’s Level 2 training next month at the same place – April 18-19.

What did you learn/realize/experience this weekend?

17 Comments on YogaFit Level 1 – Day 2!

1. Olga
    8 March, 2009 at 8:03 pm (5 years ago)

I love that you needed to offer yoga to people who otherwise would not have access to it, what a fantastic idea.

I did a lot of homework this weekend, specifically research on the Mass v. EPA case resulting in greenhouse gas emission regulations…It sounds boring but I actually learned A LOT!

Congrats!

2. carolinebee
    8 March, 2009 at 9:35 pm (5 years ago)

what an AWESOME training! Love that community service aspect…i totally agree- jumping right in, and practicing just going thru the motions and teaching are the best way to learn..that way you can actually SOUND like a real teacher and instruct. I had my tutor training today, so kind of similar- i am veryyy EXCITED Too :D yay!

3. clare
    8 March, 2009 at 9:39 pm (5 years ago)

that is one of my fave quotes. ill bet you are excited for lev2! it is so awesome. just wait til you get to 3…holy introspection! :) if you ever get the chance, attend a mind body conference. more awesomeness!

4. Erin
    8 March, 2009 at 11:33 pm (5 years ago)

That sounds SO amazing. I love that ya’ll do some pro bono yoga. What a wonderful thing!

5. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    8 March, 2009 at 11:50 pm (5 years ago)

I think yoga can help so many people in so many walks of life! Props to your classes for recognizing that.

I’m so excited for you…this is fantastic!!!

6. Leng
    9 March, 2009 at 2:01 am (5 years ago)

I’m so happy for you Maggie! Reading your post get’s me all excited also! those classes sound so amazing and packed full of information. Good luck and can’t wait to hear more. :smile:

9 March, 2009 at 3:45 am (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    Sounds like your weekend classes went great – I can just feel your excitement in reading both posts from Saturday and Sunday. What an amazing experience, and again I’m so happy for you. Way to make some positive changes in your life and choose a career path that truly makes you happy. Your body, mind, and spirit will thank you.

PS – Made you pizza last night…who knew homemade pizza was so freaking easy?!? Have yet to tackle agar agar, but it’s next on my list. :)

9 March, 2009 at 4:46 am (5 years ago)

so good to hear more about yogafit program…I can tell from your post that you totally enjoyed it and excited about the experience. My only concern is if they can really train you how to teach/guide others in a weekend time. i mean it’s okay that we learn poses and we’re advanced in yoga practice, but I think guiding to others and say some wonderful spiritual things that my instructors tell me isn’t trainable only in two days. Am i wrong? what do you think? do you feel you’re ready to teach?

9 March, 2009 at 5:16 am (5 years ago)

WAHOO!!

10. Emily
    9 March, 2009 at 7:06 am (5 years ago)

Sounds like your training has been an amazing experience so far.
    I think life is about constantly learning and growing, and I it’s great that you are pursuing a new endeavor!

11. polly
    9 March, 2009 at 7:48 am (5 years ago)

hi sweetie! So FUN to hear about your weekend! I remember my level one training… my trainer was named Natalie from California and she was a DOLL. That was when I KNEW I wanted to teach yoga forever!! (that was like 4 years ago but feels like yesterdy!) So EXCITED for you, you will be such a wonderful teacher, your are all heart. :) XOOX

12. Lara
    9 March, 2009 at 8:11 am (5 years ago)

To so many people this would seem like an intense weekend but it is awesome that to you it is relaxing and inspiring. To me that is the best part about reading your yoga reflections–how enthusiastic you are about it :)

13. Courtney (The Hungry Yogini)
    9 March, 2009 at 8:26 am (5 years ago)

So glad you enjoyed TT! Do you only have to do 1 weekend for level 1?

I learned this weekend to let loose and be silly! It’s okay to dance and move! I did a wonderful Julian Walker workshop. Life changing!

14. K
    9 March, 2009 at 8:33 am (5 years ago)

Glad the training went to well!! Sounds fantastic :)

15. Julie
    9 March, 2009 at 11:05 am (5 years ago)

Wow these classes seem so great! And so much fun! You must feel like a million bucks at the end of the day haha

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on YogaFit Level 1 – Day 2!