My day started out GREEN with whipped banana oat/wheat bran… topped with Heather-inspired avocado chocolate frosting. I also had my standard miso soup (unpictured – wakame, miso, water).
- 1/2 small avocado, mashed
- 1 tablespoon chocolate PB2
- 2 teaspoons chocolate almond milk
- dash of stevia
I ended up spooning all of the frosting into the bran and mixing it up – you see the first spoonful.
Then I went grocery shopping at Milk Pail and Safeway. At Milk Pail I got:
- fruit: cantaloupe, yellow nectarines, bananas, blueberries, green grapes, mango, grapefruit, minneola oranges, avocadoes
- veggies: cucumbers, mushrooms, 2 pound bag of spinach (huge)
- grocery: corn meal, free-range/cage-free eggs, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips
- cool sales: salted dried peas, banana chips, dried apple chips
- a free reusable bag since I spent over $35 (it’s their 35th anniversary)
All for about $40. Finding a good and cheap market is key to saving money. At Safeway I got some other things (mostly for Bobby):
- snacks: various ramen-type noodles (sale)
- sauces: pasta sauce (sale), soy sauce, rice vinegar, salsa (BOGO)
- other: chicken thighs in bulk (will freeze most of them)
Safeway’s total was almost $30. I always end up buying the staples (like soy sauce and vinegars) all at once and it seems like I’m spending a lot… but they end up lasting for a while. Bobby’s snacks add up as well.
When I got back I was hangry for lunch. But I waited long enough to make a beautiful fruit salad (1/2 cantaloupe, 1 mango, 1 grapefruit, 1 nectarine, 1/2 package blueberries, 1 cup sliced grapes, lemon juice).
I had a few cups of fruit salad, plus I steamed about 6 cups of spinach which reduced down to a measly portion. I also had a pita with another batch of avocado chocolate frosting (new addiction!) to use up the other half of the avocado.
I snacked on some bites of fruit salad and some raw veggies (carrots, broccoli) throughout the afternoon. Then I made a picnic dinner to take to Bobby at work – he’s busy this week, and needs to get as much done as he can before our cruise (2 weeks from now). I made a big ‘ole pizza using my pizza recipe, but using a mix of white flour, wheat flour, and wheat bran (now I put this in everything). I also sprinkled the pan with corn meal before I rolled it out. I love this little trick.
I topped it with tomato sauce, 1/2 of a GimmeLean meatless roll thing, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and various cheeses. Obviously the side with excessive spinach and minimal cheese is mine. On my side I used soy cheddar; Bobby’s part has real cheddar, soy cheddar, and parmesan.
I also packed fruit salad and some sliced cucumber with miso-ginger dressing. And while I was doing all this I couldn’t resist snacking on sliced cucumber with salt – yummo!
Here’s our setup in his office (mine is right, Bobby’s is left). I ended up having a second slice of pizza, more cucumber, and more fruit salad.
- Hangry Pants is giving away a juicer
- Andrea’s having a birthday giveaway
- Bobbi is giving away more granola
- BlueberryHil has more Quaker goodies
Check out my new Blogroll page – I decided to make a page dedicated to my favorites because I have so many! If you’re not on my list and you want to be, just let me know 🙂