Cruise prep – 2 days!

2 days until the cruise!

album ganging up on the sun 300x300 Cruise prep   2 days!johnmayer roomforsquares 300x300 Cruise prep   2 days!

(John Mayer‘s Room for Squares reminds me of high school.  Actually, so does Guster.  Guster is my all-time favorite band and I discovered them way back when I was… a freshman I think?  2000 was a long time ago.)

Done so far:

• haircut: just a trim, but it looks a lot better now.  I never really talked about it on the blog but I was incredibly unhappy with my last haircut; it was way too short – boy short – and I was pretty upset about it.  It’s grown out a lot since October, but it’s still much shorter than I would like – but I desperately needed to fix the ends.  Lesson learned.  This time I found a great new hairdresser.  Her name is Heleen and she works at Z Salon in Santa Clara, CA (by Valley Fair Mall).  She commented on how thick my hair is – they always do!  It doesn’t look that thick when it’s short, but once they start working on it they always realize that it takes 1.5 hours to cut my hair.
  • random errands – getting cat food, cashing checks, buying toiletries
  • some cleaning (mostly organizing the kitchen)
  • talking with a new friend icon smile Cruise prep   2 days!

To-do list:

• mani/pedi – tomorrow night
  • packing (yikes!)
  • finish cleaning the house (we’re having a friend come to take care of Couscous the cat, and I am a total nerd about having a spotless house when people come over)
  • laundry – clothes and linens – tomorrow night
  • haircut for Bobby (I’m going to try to get him an appointment with Heleen on Thursday morning)

Random yummy salad:

6 big salad 300x225 Cruise prep   2 days!7 big salad 300x225 Cruise prep   2 days!

• shredded cabbage & leek base, cantaloupe, mushrooms, tomatoes, kohlrabi with salt (love! – thanks for the rec Dad!), and kabocha
  • also added – Newman’s Own lowfat sesame ginger & a scoop of olive hummus
  • (served with chewy pitas and peanut butter – I’m addicted.  I think I need to take a small break from these guys.)

What’s your favorite band?  Have you ever been on a cruise?  Do you have any cruise suggestions for me?  We’re going to Cabo, Mexico – anything in particular I should do?

30 Comments on Cruise prep – 2 days!

1. Olga
    24 March, 2009 at 7:34 pm (6 years ago)

so exciting about the cruise :)

And I LOVE Guster. They’re huge in Massachusetts!

2. Mara @ What's For Dinner?
    24 March, 2009 at 7:35 pm (6 years ago)

OMG GUSTER!!!!! I saw Guster at the AEPi house for FREE my junior year of college… and Im obsessed with John Mayer :)

Have fun cruise-prepping!

3. Rose
    24 March, 2009 at 7:46 pm (6 years ago)

I was totally obsessed with Guster at one point. Not sure who my fav band is now but I know it involves folk or experimental music :)

I went on a cruise in 2007 – it was oh so much fun. Just pack lightly – but pack well!

4. Pearl
    24 March, 2009 at 10:49 pm (6 years ago)

I have NOT been on a cruise.. yet ;) since i’m stowing away in your bags and all :).

yaay on the new haircut! it’s hard for me to imagine a hairstyle NOT looking great on you!

5. Lara
    24 March, 2009 at 11:22 pm (6 years ago)

Looking at your list of “to dos” makes me happy–all the stuff I love to do before a trip! Haircut, mani, pedi…all the fun stuff to feel your best :) Will you be blogging at all from your cruise? It would be cool to follow along!

6. mi
    25 March, 2009 at 1:00 am (6 years ago)

wow you are going on a cruise!! how fantastic!! so glad you are happy with your new haircut, i know what good/bad hair can do to a girl’s heart ;) i can’t wait to hear all about it!

as for your comment about miso soup, i would give you a recipe but my mum basically does it randomly and throws things in. as far as i know, i think she uses about 2TBSP per serving (but that really depends on type of miso, personal taste, etc. – she tastes the broth as she goes along) and then slices cabbage/mooli thinly, adds some bean sprouts & chopped spring onion. and cooks it until the veg is soft. i think she also uses a pinch of dashi which she says makes a big difference.

25 March, 2009 at 4:00 am (6 years ago)

I haven’t been on a cruise, but my mom had and a friend is on one right now. They told me great things about it, so just enjoy!! :D

8. Helen's Journey
    25 March, 2009 at 5:31 am (6 years ago)

I’ve never been on a cruise, but would love to one day. My Uncle goes on about 2 a year. He goes on his own (he lost his wife to cancer) and meets up with friends who are always on the same cruises.

9. Erin
    25 March, 2009 at 5:32 am (6 years ago)

I listened to Guster yesterday! I forgot how much I liked them. I didn’t discover them until a few years ago.
    I hate bad hair experiences, they upset me more than they should. Also, I have the same kind of hair! We have odd physical similarities. No one realizes how thick mine is until they start cutting and then go ‘OMG this is ridiculous, I didn’t know you had so much hair!”
    I’ve never been on a cruise but I’m sure you’re going to love it!

10. Michelle Hisae
    25 March, 2009 at 5:51 am (6 years ago)

People in Boston LOVE Guster – they’re kind of a local phenomenon. Have a great time seeing them play live! I loooove John Mayer. He’s smokin’ hot. Hehe.

11. Dori
    25 March, 2009 at 5:59 am (6 years ago)

I LOVE Guster, too! I got to see them live for $13 when I was in college and they came on their tour, they were wonderful! And my boyfriend likes them too — which surprised me because he isn’t that into music and one day when I guess he knew I liked Guster he out of nowhere started singing Barrel of a Gun to me and I was like, HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT! Also, he is 38, so I thought he was too old to know!

I was on a cruise once. My advice (which I didn’t do) is get to the gym on the ship a couple times because the food is ABUNDANT! I remember eating a buffet of chocolate cakes!

12. Jenny
    25 March, 2009 at 6:35 am (6 years ago)

Yay cruise!–When I went to Cabo, we did this fantastic “Sunset Cruise” definitely try to do one if possible!!

13. Danielle
    25 March, 2009 at 7:00 am (6 years ago)

You are going to have so much fun on your cruise, I did one a few years ago and it was one of my favorite vacations ever. Just enjoy your time. My one tip is if you plan on spending a day out by the pool, get up early and go out to the pool deck and put a towel down on a chair, then go get breakfast or whatever, if you wait too long it may be hard to find somewhere near the pool to lay down.

14. Tamar Erlich
    25 March, 2009 at 7:48 am (6 years ago)

Hi,

I live in the south bay so I went to The Milk Pail to look for the chewy pitas and I couldn’t find anything like that in the store. Is there anywhere else these can be found?

Enjoy your cruise,

Tamar.

15. K
    25 March, 2009 at 7:52 am (6 years ago)

Guster!! I love them! My favorite band right now would probably have to be Maroon 5 – I can listen to them over and over and never get tired!

16. Red Head, Yellow Dog
    25 March, 2009 at 8:07 am (6 years ago)

My fave band is Death Cab for Cutie!!! love Ben Gibbard <3

but Guster is also awesome! I’ve seen them a few times live …once at my college! neato!

17. Jenni
    25 March, 2009 at 9:22 am (6 years ago)

oh, i love guster! my college had them come play for our spring festival my freshman year–the only good concert my college has put on since i’ve been there!

isn’t it wonderful when you have thick hair and you find someone who understands it? it took me 18 years–no joke, i had terrible hair in high school/freshman year of college, but i finally found someone! the stylist i used before that was kind of a nightmare–once, she sent me home with huge puffy hair because she was running behind and didn’t want to straighten it. i almost cried. ick.

as for bands, it’s hard to pick a favorite. i love pete yorn, and i’m really enjoying rosi golan right now (she’s very low key and a little bit folk). i’ve never been on a cruise, so i can’t offer any advice except to have a great time!

18. Erin
    25 March, 2009 at 10:48 am (6 years ago)

You are a lucky broad! Thick hair! I know, I know – it’s probably more of a pain than I know.
    Enjoy the cruise. I’ve never been on one but they sound so perfect.

19. katecooks
    25 March, 2009 at 10:58 am (6 years ago)

ive never been on a cruise but i have only heard good things! is it bad that the unlimited food is what appeals to me most?? the only thing i am not sold on is the possible motion sickness??? that would be my luck, paying for a cruise and being the only one to notice the perpetual rocking LOL. good luck knocking out that to-do list!

20. Ashley
    25 March, 2009 at 11:17 am (6 years ago)

omggg john mayer and guster! loveddddd those cds!! :)

21. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    25 March, 2009 at 11:32 am (6 years ago)

I’ve been on about 7 or 8 cruises! My suggestion…order every item on the menu at dinner and have a sample of each!! Seriously it is worth trying everythng and the servers do not mind at all! I would suggest snorkeling in Mexico!!!

22. Lynne
    25 March, 2009 at 11:33 am (6 years ago)

I have never come across anyone who has even heard of Guster. Love them!

23. Emily
    25 March, 2009 at 12:04 pm (6 years ago)

Ahh! Have so much fun on your cruise!

Hair stylists make the same comments about my hair. It’s stick straight but super thick…and takes FOREVER to cut!

I really like Indie acoustic music like Ingrid Michaelson and Regina Spektor.

24. Justine
    25 March, 2009 at 2:17 pm (6 years ago)

Have a great time on your cruise! I am jealous! My man and I are going to the Dominican Republic on June. Your salad looks so yummy. I should have eaten that instead of all that chocolate and pb I just gobbled down!! I left you a comment on your “about” page. Cant wait to see pics from your trip. I have been to cabo but not on a cruise. Its beautiful but very touristy.

~Justine

25. Biz
    25 March, 2009 at 2:46 pm (6 years ago)

Just catching up on blog reading – hope you have a great time!

My favorite band in high school and college was U2, but after Boy (first album I think) and Joshua Tree, I never was a huge fan of their later work.

My mom has been on several cruises and her pictures always show WALL TO WALL people. Hopefully you’ll be able to relax! Looking forward to pics!

26. NAOmni
    25 March, 2009 at 7:02 pm (6 years ago)

Favorite band, of all time…too many…on to easier questions

I went on a cruise. It was awesome. But DO NOT do excursions at every stop. I don’t think yours is as long as mine was, a week, but we did an excursion at all of our ports and it was a lot. I would have rather sat out one and had a beach day.

NAOmni

27. Amy
    26 March, 2009 at 4:25 pm (5 years ago)

Just found your blog for the first time from Oh She Glows and loe and behold saw that your hairdresser is in Santa Clara. I live in Santa Clara too! What a small world!

Have a great cruise

28. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    27 March, 2009 at 4:22 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never been on a cruise, but my bf is talking about taking me on one in June when he’s done with his internship in NY :)

29. eatingbender
    1 April, 2009 at 9:26 pm (5 years ago)

I always get told I have thick hair, too! The woman always says, “I could spend hours snipping away at this, but I’ll stop now” :)

Yay for new friends!

I hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise!