Jillian rocks, cruise prep, stories & battles

1 day until cruise!

los cabos cabo san lucas04a 300x225 Jillian rocks, cruise prep, stories & battles

This is actually a lie… we leave tomorrow for LA, but the cruise doesn’t leave until Friday.  Ha! I tricked you.

To do:

• register with Carnival (thanks Bobby!)
  • clean the bathroom
  • clean the kitchen
  • vacuum
  • laundry
  • mani/pedi
  • cat stuff
  • packing
  • other random things!

Onto more serious talk.  I have been listening to a bunch of Jillian Michaels podcasts recently.  (Find them in iTunes by searching KFI AM – they’re under the “Sunday” program.  Or you might be able to find them HERE.)  I know some people don’t like Jillian, but I adore her.  I love her Shred workouts, I love her on the Biggest Loser, and now I love her podcasts.  She’s real and honest and kicks major butt.

jillian michaels 225x300 Jillian rocks, cruise prep, stories & battles

In the podcast I’m listening to today (12/7/2008), she’s talking about a contestant on the Biggest Loser and the things that are holding him back.  She asks the contestant, “what do you want?” and he responds, “I just want to win this battle within me.”

I really liked what Jillian had to say next.  She says, “What battle are you talking about?  You’re not a character in your own movie, fighting evil.  What battle??”

She goes on to talk about how we create these “battles” for ourselves, and we create so much drama and hostility.  We create these stories for ourselves in which we’re fighting such terrible battles… when the truth of the matter is this: there is no battle.  Maybe we have hard days – counting calories, exercising, trying to eat enough, trying not to eat too much – but it doesn’t have to be a battle.

We create so much mental drama about how we are fragile, or not good enough.  It all boils down to this – the Ego is creating a story for us to get absorbed in and hold us back.  Let’s lose the story and stop thinking so much.

The reason I haven’t been commenting as much the last few days is because I’m taking her advice. For the past few days I just haven’t cared about obsessing.  I have to thank that *new friend* that I mentioned yesterday for most of this.  It is so good to just have someone to talk to.  When I listened to Jillian’s podcast today it really hit home: what she said confirmed a lot of what I’ve been thinking the last few days.

What are your thoughts on this?  Am I simplifying it too much?  As recently as a week ago I might have said that these are real struggles and real battles and we need to glorify them… but I’m not so sure anymore.

I’m hoping I’ll keep feeling like this for the rest of the week, and on the cruise.  It’s kind of liberating.  I really need to get on that to-do list now…

For any readers near Portland, Maine – check out this post at Becoming Whole.  Dr. John Herzog is conducting a study on plant-based diets following his interest in The China Study.  He’s looking for participants and it sounds like a great opportunity.

30 Comments on Jillian rocks, cruise prep, stories & battles

1. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    25 March, 2009 at 3:29 pm (5 years ago)

Amen, Maggie. I could not agree with you more. I know for some people, it helps to talk about their battles and where they’ve been and how hard it is and how they want to be better…yada yada yada. I just want to shut up about it and do it. I can’t look back, I can only move forward!

2. gary
    25 March, 2009 at 3:42 pm (5 years ago)

OMG, you’re going THERE you lucky dog?

3. Anna
    25 March, 2009 at 3:47 pm (5 years ago)

How right you are! As I’ve heard people say to others who are struggling with these sorts of things, we really just need to “get out of our own way”. I can be easy to get all wrapped up in our own thoughts, let them possess us, and end up overthinking everything (which only makes things more difficult). How liberating it must be to let it all go! Good for you. Have a great cruise!

4. Erin
    25 March, 2009 at 3:56 pm (5 years ago)

I have never thought of things like that before and probably wouldn’t agree right off, but it makes sense. Its simple advice and I think its good advice. Usually the simpler, the better. We all like to complicate things and add drama for sure. Thanks for posting, this is good to think about!

5. mi
    25 March, 2009 at 4:06 pm (5 years ago)

what a great post! you have such a great attitude, and actually, it’s so right about “battles” – we do create these battles for ourselves, and name them something that obviously does not suggest good news. labelling has never been good anyway ;) have a fantastic time on the cruise!!!

6. Leng
    25 March, 2009 at 4:43 pm (5 years ago)

I enjoy Jillian Michaels also. I think she is an amazing trainer. Sure, some people find her mean, but everybody has his/her own preferences. Most of the time I seriously believe that people just make up battles. This was a really awesome post. You always seem to make your blog seem so interesting. I’m glad that Jillian is making a difference in your food mindset. Positivity is great and it spreads. Keep up the right attitude Maggie! Yay for the cruise!!

7. Maeve
    25 March, 2009 at 4:51 pm (5 years ago)

I agree. Sometimes we make mountains out of molehills, to use a cliche. We glorify our struggles, when really if we just detach they may actually not be as bad as we make them out to be. That being said so much of what we go through is in the head. We are all at different stages and if using the “battle” metaphor is helpful at that point, so be it.

8. Jenni
    25 March, 2009 at 4:51 pm (5 years ago)

oh, i love jillian. i’m a fan of tough love, so she is right up my alley.

that said, i’m not sure if we’re fighting battles within us or not. i would tend to say that that’s a way dramatic statement. when i am in a binge cycle, it does indeed feel like it’s a battle because i want to stop but i can’t–but i don’t binge if i eat responsibly. right now i’m tending to think that i create my own troubles by not eating responsibly. …so i guess i’m on the fence too.

9. Julz
    25 March, 2009 at 5:17 pm (5 years ago)

Wow. I love you, but I could not disagree more. The answer that guy gave was incredibly insightful, in my humble opinion, and I think her response was rude and very entitled. I lost a lot of respect for her, through this. Again, I adore you! But in my opinion, she’s very full of her self, with a very I am holier than thou perspective on life. Yucky.

10. Julz
    25 March, 2009 at 5:23 pm (5 years ago)

I need to reiterate. I AM SO HAPPY THAT THIS MINDSET IS WORKING FOR YOU. My G-d, am I happy. It is powerful for some, and not for others. I didn’t mean to sound so obnoxious. Eep.

That being said, I think that our physical struggles are merely the TIP of the iceberg for what is going on within. I think that Jillian tries to oversimplify things TO HER CONTESTANT’S ADVANTAGE, at times, because it is essential that they merely focus on their present goal and not on their mental hiatus. BUT, I also think that the mental obstacles are what is really and truly being masked behind the physical picture.

I LOVE YOU! <333

11. Making Love In The Kitchen
    25 March, 2009 at 7:56 pm (5 years ago)

Despite my strong dislike of boats, I am becoming envious of your cruise countdown- could use some hot hot sunshine.

12. Jasmine (Sweet and Fit)
    25 March, 2009 at 8:29 pm (5 years ago)

AMEN! this was such a great post! thank you! *mentally letting go of the battle, drama, and hostility*

13. Erin
    25 March, 2009 at 8:51 pm (5 years ago)

I think this is FAAHHHBBBUUULLLOOOUUUSSS. God, it is so amazing how caught up we get in our own lies, bullshit, and narratives that we’ve created for ourselves. I am SO glad you brought this up and really want to think about it more. I’m thrilled you’re already seeing the benefits in your own life. I think you’re just fabulous Maggie :)

14. Erin
    25 March, 2009 at 8:51 pm (5 years ago)

P.S. If you offend people, chances are they really need to hear that msg!

15. juliet
    25 March, 2009 at 9:13 pm (5 years ago)

Hooray for Jillian. I love what she is saying and I love that she is helping you! Kudos to you for letting go and being happy about it. It will be great to have that attitude on your cruise. :)

16. Pearl
    25 March, 2009 at 11:17 pm (5 years ago)

I am so, so glad that you are on my blogroll.

I am so glad that I’ve gotten to know you through your words.

I would’ve never found that quote from Jillian had I not read your blog.

And you know what? It makes sense. It’s simple. And it makes sense.

For those who are offended, I want to put a different spin on it:

It’s empowering. There is no “evil battle” you’re fighting, because you’re strong enough to not have to fight such a battle. You’re in control of yourself, of your own life, of your own choices. There’s nothing else dragging you here or there; you are composed and strong.

Thanks Maggie. You’re so faaabulous :)

26 March, 2009 at 4:57 am (5 years ago)

Your cruise will be AMAZING!!!

You don’t offend ME, I know that – hang in there and fight your battles, girl.

26 March, 2009 at 5:35 am (5 years ago)

Maggie, this is such a great talk/thought! it comes in the right moment for me to read. I had some bad news yesterday (both for me and for Star) and I felt frustrated and a big bad feeling around me. As I talked and talked with Star… I felt better, more open minded. But when I read this post, I feel much better…. it’s so true! There’s no real battle at all, it’s all our mental creation to destroy ourselves, to affect our emotions and our spirits.
    I’m definitely going to listen to her posts. Even though my struggle is not about fitness/eating, but I can totally relate it to other aspects of life.
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
    have a nice cruise! :D

19. Dori
    26 March, 2009 at 6:30 am (5 years ago)

I only know Jillian from the Shred right now, never saw Biggest Loser and never listened to her podcast, but now I want to! You are spot on with what she said — it shouldn’t be a battle. We should live to do what is best for us and that is it. Good for you for not binging and satisfying your appetite. It should never be a battle, and sadly for so many of us it often is.

20. Emily
    26 March, 2009 at 6:44 am (5 years ago)

I’ve never really thought about it that way before. I think it’s good to know our weak points and not deny our struggles, but I guess labeling them as “battles” might make them seemingly too difficult to overcome? Good thought provoking post, Maggie!

Hope that you have a relaxing and amazing vacation!

21. K
    26 March, 2009 at 7:47 am (5 years ago)

I loved hearing your opinion about it and I agree with you completely! People make their own mental problems and then complain about them. Just embrace it! Have fun on your cruise!!

22. Lara
    26 March, 2009 at 8:47 am (5 years ago)

I am not familiar with Jillian Michaels yet but this makes me like her a lot. I agree, battles are in our own heads. I like her approach to tough love!
    You’re going to have such a great time…can’t wait to see photos!

23. Leila
    26 March, 2009 at 9:49 am (5 years ago)

what a great point. I think we definitely create mental roadblocks and hurdles for ourselves that become physical as a result. It’s truly most of the time mind over matter and we just have to say ‘yes I can’ a little more to ourselves. It is totally the ego, people aren’t comfortable with just living and I find they create drama for themselves so that they can feel important.

Great post!

24. Katie
    26 March, 2009 at 10:11 am (5 years ago)

I love Jillian and her advice is spot on in my opinion. We’re all our own worst enemies.

25. Ashley
    26 March, 2009 at 11:17 am (5 years ago)

have an amazing time! i am obsessed with jillian too :) love her podcasts!

26. Christina
    27 March, 2009 at 10:26 am (5 years ago)

I always make a big to-do list before I leave on a trip, too! It’s so tiring and stressful to knock it all out – but to come home to a nice, clean house is WORTH it!

27. Sara
    28 March, 2009 at 4:09 am (5 years ago)

Jillian is the best. Her podcasts have gotten me through many grueling training workouts!

I’m glad you were able to listen to your body and have a good week. I hope you are having fun on the cruise you lucky girl!!

28. eatingbender
    1 April, 2009 at 9:33 pm (5 years ago)

This post freakin’ ROCKED, Maggie. If you offend people, it’s because they haven’t realized it for themselves yet. It is so incredibly true! I don’t talk about this much on my blog (though when I finally get around to FAQ I might), but a few years ago I had a problem with night binging, and when I went to bed with a cramping stomach and nothing but negative things to say about myself, I’d think, “I wish that I wasn’t trapped in this never ending cycle.” What I really needed to say was, “Umm…hello? This doesn’t have to be a never ending cycle!” And yes, there are still those days where the “struggle” exists…but never the “battle” – and I am so happy for you that you are walking the walk! You go girl :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Jillian rocks, cruise prep, stories & battles