Cruise recap – Thursday & Friday

On Thursday night we got to L.A. around 7pm (traffic was so bad).  We settled into our hotel room and went upstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  Both the hotel (the Queen Mary, an old retired cruise ship) and the food were mediocre at best.

1 veggie burger 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Dinner was a veggie burger (and a grilled portobello), fruit salad, and 3 (!) of these buttery rolls.

2 buttery rolls 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Breakfast at the Queen Mary was buffet style – fruit and wheaties.

3 hotel breakfast 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

It was so nice to finally get onto the Carnival Splendor around noon on Friday.  We got settled in again, unpacked, explored, and then went up to the buffet for lunch.  I am no good with buffets. I have to get everything and I end up wasting a lot and eating a lot.  This was the first go:

4 cruise lunch 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

I didn’t eat everything there, but I do remember that I went back for seconds of the things I liked, plus some bread.  Bobby and I shared a nice fruit bowl for lunch-dessert.

I decided to eat seafood and dairy on the cruise.  And I’m going to keep eating them.

Dinner on Friday night was at the fancy cruise restaurant (the Gold Pearl, decorated with… big gold spheres – a little tacky, but cute!).  I forgot to take pictures of everything, but here are some yums…

Appetizer – gazpacho:

5 app gazpacho 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Appetizer – fruit salad:

6 app fruit salad 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Appetizer – iceberg wedge with breaded and fried veggies:

7 app iceberg wedge 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Appetizer – shrimp cocktail:

8 app shrimp cocktail 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

I actually forget what my entree was this night.  But it must not have been that filling because we stopped by the sushi bar afterwards!  Sushi and sides:

10 sushi 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Fruit and frozen yogurt (imagine much more frozen yogurt though):

11 fruit froyo 300x225 Cruise recap   Thursday & Friday

Amazing food, and there’s more to come!

22 Comments on Cruise recap – Thursday & Friday

1. Danielle
    2 April, 2009 at 12:29 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve only been on one cruise but it was one of my favorite vacations, you are definitely making me miss it! Your food looks great!

2. Pearl
    2 April, 2009 at 1:08 pm (6 years ago)

oh my gosh – sushi and fro yo? *sigh*

3. Anna
    2 April, 2009 at 1:08 pm (6 years ago)

Ahhh vacation food… looks delish!

4. Julie
    2 April, 2009 at 1:09 pm (6 years ago)

oh my god your cruise looked amazing!!!

2 April, 2009 at 1:25 pm (6 years ago)

cruise foods are really good!!! :D
    so glad that you’re eating seafood and meat again!!! they’re great! you’re so right about how restrictive it gets if we eliminate these food in our diet! I did it for about a year… and not offending vegetarian people… my health condition got bad during that period.. everyone told me I was freaking skinny and weak. Now, I’m open to all food, and I feel stronger and less obsessed about food. :) Of course, I don’t eat meat all the time, but the fact of knowing I can eat them whenever I want is liberating! :D

6. Leng
    2 April, 2009 at 2:02 pm (6 years ago)

so many of my fave things! sushi, ice cream, fruit, buttery rolls!

I’m not one to take to buffets either. I can’t finish anything! I’m not that small, but for some reason I eat like a person who has a tiny stomach.

7. katecooks
    2 April, 2009 at 2:31 pm (6 years ago)

yum! i have never been on a cruise but buffets and i are definitely frenemies :) i would love to go on an all inclusive vacation on the beach at some point but would be very prepared to gain 10 lbs LOL

8. K
    2 April, 2009 at 2:47 pm (6 years ago)

Wow – those are some delicious eats!

9. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    2 April, 2009 at 2:52 pm (6 years ago)

Good for you for letting more foods back IN! I love to see that!

10. Shelby
    2 April, 2009 at 3:50 pm (6 years ago)

Good for you for listening to your body and eating the foods you want to. One diet isn’t right for everyone and it’s great to have a healthy non-restrictive relationship with food =)

Everything looks wonderful! I remember when I was on my cruise…that’s when I found my love of chickpeas <3 They didn’t have many vegan eats but I totally took advantage of the mounds of chickpeas there! haha

11. Christina
    2 April, 2009 at 4:23 pm (6 years ago)

Yum, I love buffets! Esp. the salad and fruit sections. They always have such a wonderful selection – more than what I keep on hand at home. Plus, all the cleaning and cutting and chopping prep work has been done – you just scoop!

12. Olga
    2 April, 2009 at 5:51 pm (6 years ago)

I’m the same way with buffets! I get so much food and then I realize I either can’t eat all of it or end up eating too much!

13. Sagan
    2 April, 2009 at 6:20 pm (6 years ago)

Mmm looks lovely. Sounds like you had a really great time! Good idea about the seafood and dairy; when we restrict ourselves too much it can make things very problematic.

14. Sharon
    2 April, 2009 at 6:54 pm (6 years ago)

Oh my gosh the food, looks amazing!!! And wheaties?? I have never seen those before!

15. juliet
    2 April, 2009 at 11:24 pm (6 years ago)

Yum! It all looks great. :)

16. mi
    3 April, 2009 at 5:50 am (6 years ago)

it already looks incredible, and there’s more to come! glad you got back safe and that you had such a fabulous trip :D

3 April, 2009 at 8:22 am (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    So glad you’re back and that you enjoyed your cruise. Your announcement made me laugh. I’m know you weren’t trying to be funny, but it made me smile none the less. Maybe it’s because I can relate, and need to make a big announcement myself. After giving up dairy and soy for a month, I’ve become pretty restrictive as well. So, I went and bought some yogurt today with my Stonyfield coupons, and I want to try and up my seafood intake. I’ve been pretty low on protein most days.

Again, so glad you’re back. Your guest posts were great, but I missed ya!

18. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    3 April, 2009 at 8:48 am (6 years ago)

Everything looks delicious! Cruise food is the best! I am the same way with buffets! I feel the need to take everything even if I don’t end up eating it all!

19. Sara
    3 April, 2009 at 7:34 pm (6 years ago)

It looks like you had a fabulous time on the cruise! I’ve been enjoying the recaps :) I’m glad you allowed yourself to have some seafood and dairy, I’m sure it tasted wonderful :)

20. Lara (Thinspired)
    4 April, 2009 at 2:37 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so glad you are back and that you guys had fun on that cruise. Of course I love the food pics to see what they serve ;) Looks like lots of fruit, I love it!

21. Emily
    5 April, 2009 at 4:40 am (6 years ago)

The food looks so good! Love all the colors!

I have actually stayed on the Queen Mary, too (I’m a sucker for anything history related). I also remember the food on the ship/hotel being not that fantastic.

I hope you enjoyed your dairy and seafood while on the cruise. :-)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Cruise recap – Thursday & Friday