Faux Cheesecake

I bought Bethenny Frankel’s new book, Naturally Thin, on Tuesday night after getting home from my cruise.  On Wednesday I ended up trying (and modifying, of course – who follows recipes?) three of her ideas.  I changed this one so much that I think I can call it my own:

Maggie’s Faux Choco-Banana Cheesecake

4-choco-banana-cheesecake

Ingredients (serves 2)

• 2/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese (can use up to 1 cup depending on how much you want)
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • splash of extract (I used vanilla, but anything would work)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon stevia (or 2 teaspoons other sweetener – sugar, honey, etc.)
  • 1 square of chocolate, crushed up (I used Ghirardelli’s 60%); or 1 tablespoon of crushed up chocolate chips

Directions

Put everything in a mini food-processor and blend.  Serve chilled.

5-choco-banana-cheesecake

This is perfect for dessert or a snack at any time.  It really satisfies a sweet tooth but it’s not heavy!  It’s crap-free and wonderful.

What’s your favorite flavor of cheesecake? I think mine is this one :)

38 Comments on Faux Cheesecake

3 April, 2009 at 10:08 am (6 years ago)

Love it!!

My favorite flavor of cheesecake = strawberry!!

2. Sharon
    3 April, 2009 at 10:16 am (6 years ago)

Oh wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing!

3. Peggy (Mom)
    3 April, 2009 at 10:30 am (6 years ago)

That looks really good…my favorite flavor is plain…but I like it when they put a thin layer of sour cream on top

4. Yasmin
    3 April, 2009 at 10:41 am (6 years ago)

At the Cheesecake factory it would be the Snickers or Cookies n Cream

3 April, 2009 at 10:41 am (6 years ago)

this one is so simple! i’ll get some cottage cheese to make it! (with salt or without salt type?)

6. Julie
    3 April, 2009 at 10:48 am (6 years ago)

whoa that looks so good! definitely gotta get her new book

7. Olga
    3 April, 2009 at 10:54 am (6 years ago)

what a great recipe, seems like a fantastic treat!

My favorite flavor is pumpkin cheesecake or dolce de leche…It’s to die for!

8. K
    3 April, 2009 at 10:57 am (6 years ago)

As a big fan of anything cheesecake – THAT sounds fantastic :)

9. Danielle
    3 April, 2009 at 11:31 am (6 years ago)

Any cheese cake is my favorite! I don’t eat it that often but when I do I can’t get it off my mind for days, this looks like a fun replacement!

10. Missy (Missy Maintains)
    3 April, 2009 at 12:23 pm (6 years ago)

That looks amazing! I just ordered her book 5 minutes ago :)

11. Shelby
    3 April, 2009 at 1:19 pm (6 years ago)

I used to hate cheesecake but then I made a vegan version and I love it! Weird huh. =P

12. Pearl
    3 April, 2009 at 2:31 pm (6 years ago)

enjoy the book!
    and that faux cheesecake looks good!

13. Sarena
    3 April, 2009 at 3:07 pm (6 years ago)

That sounds really good! I really miss cottage cheese (I am extremely lactose intolerant). I will have to try a version of this!

14. Anna
    3 April, 2009 at 8:04 pm (6 years ago)

Neat! I like the blender idea. All these blender creations (smoothes, blended oat bowls… ) reminds me how much I’m looking forward to having access to one at home.

15. ttfn300
    3 April, 2009 at 9:26 pm (6 years ago)

can’t go wrong with a good for you treat like that!

16. Sarah (lovINmytummy)
    3 April, 2009 at 10:17 pm (6 years ago)

Yum, that looks great! I really like peanut butter cheesecake. Could it be any richer?

17. cleanveggie
    4 April, 2009 at 3:45 am (6 years ago)

sounds AMAZINGG!!
    have a great saturday :)

18. erinbee.
    4 April, 2009 at 9:03 am (6 years ago)

this looks so good!

and i ALWAYS have cottage cheese.
    bananas. and chocolate on hand. !!

my favorite flavor of anything is
    peanut butter. i just might have to
    tweak your recipe slightly. ;] yum.

19. Jenni
    4 April, 2009 at 9:20 am (6 years ago)

that looks amazing! thanks for sharing your tweaked recipe… what do you think of that book in general?

20. Jen
    4 April, 2009 at 12:06 pm (6 years ago)

Very cool! I love how this could totally be adapted for a zillion different flavors. :)

21. Lara (Thinspired)
    4 April, 2009 at 2:35 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie! I would love to hear your opinion on that book–I was JUST reading about it online but I’m just not sure if it will be standard “diet” advice–cut portions, blah blah. I didn’t realize it has recipes, too. I think she’s great so I’ll probably buy it anyway but any thoughts you have would be appreciated :)

22. joanna
    4 April, 2009 at 4:45 pm (6 years ago)

how do you like her book?

i can never decide if i like bethenny or not. she reminds me of this EVIL contestant on Survivor but only in appearance. i guess when i watch her on housewives, i can’t get the other lady out of my head.

23. gliding calm
    4 April, 2009 at 7:15 pm (6 years ago)

that sounds good!

4 April, 2009 at 7:35 pm (6 years ago)

Brilliant Maggie, and much better for me than those 500+ calorie pieces of cheesecake I have put away at the Cheesecake Factory. My favorite cheesecake involves either Oreos or peanut butter…or both. :)

How are liking Naturally Thin?

25. Emily
    5 April, 2009 at 4:37 am (6 years ago)

Thanks so much for the recipe, Maggie! It sounds delish, and it’s so great that it is crap-free! :-)

26. Justine
    5 April, 2009 at 6:42 am (6 years ago)

I love making cheesecake!! My two specialties are a Brownie Bottom Cheesecake and a White Chocolate Candy Cane Cheesecake.

~Justine

27. Kelly Olexa
    5 April, 2009 at 11:31 am (6 years ago)

I loved her book and now I’m psyched to try some of these recipes!! ;-) MMMMM

28. Dori
    6 April, 2009 at 5:59 am (6 years ago)

When I saw that one in Bethenny’s book I wanted to try it so badly, but promptly forgot allll about it. Now I really need to! I want to get a hand blender like she has. That sounds so delicious — and something my poor tummy can definitely handle!

My fav flavor cheesecake? Hmmm that is a tough one. I like the cookie dough flavor at Cheesecake Factory!

29. rebecca (unintuitiveeating)
    6 April, 2009 at 4:59 pm (6 years ago)

oh to clarify i didn’t mean whether it would work with real… just basically challenge your reasons for not using a real sweetener….

30. kailey
    11 July, 2009 at 2:17 pm (5 years ago)

I just made this the other night and LOVED IT!! I loved the texture, how filling it was, the natural ingredients and the flavor of course :) You could basically say I licked the bowl clean (because I did haha)

31. Baylee
    11 July, 2009 at 4:52 pm (5 years ago)

OMG! I am going to have to try this!!!

32. Kenzie
    27 August, 2010 at 5:38 pm (4 years ago)

I could really use something “crap free and wonderful” while I’m trying to lose my baby weight. I have had the worst sweet tooth lately, but everything I want to eat seems like it’s going to add 45lbs to my butt, which I definitely don’t need. I don’t love cottage cheese, but could learn to like it if it tastes as good as you say! Kudos.
    -Kenzie

• Maggie
      30 August, 2010 at 9:49 pm (4 years ago)

@Kenzie: You don’t taste the cottage cheese at all!

33. Nichole
    13 November, 2011 at 11:01 am (3 years ago)

This looks amazing! I’m not normally a cottage cheese fan, but I bet I would like it like this! I will have to try it for sure. Have you tried any other combos for flavors?

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Faux Cheesecake

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796