Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)

This Japanese frittata is a fantastic and simple way to use up veggies and eggs.  The cabbage is pretty crucial, but feel free to toss in whatever other vegetables you love.  Good options are: leeks, celery, bell peppers, onions, scallions, mushrooms, cauliflower, etc…  You get the idea!

Bobby wanted something lighter tonight so I opted to fry our okonomiyakis in less oil than usual.  I also subbed out some of the flour with wheat bran, which is a lower calorie option.  You could probably fry these with cooking spray, but the oil really does add a certain something – try it, even if you only use a little bit!

Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)

13 okonomiyaki 300x225 Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)

Ingredients (serves 2-3 people; we eat a lot so it served 2)

• 4 cups finely chopped cabbage (or shredded)
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped white onion
  • 1/2 cup wheat bran (or 1/4 cup more of flour)
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 4 eggs
  • salt & pepper
  • oil, for frying (I used olive oil)
  • optional: seafood or meat (I split the batter in half at the end and added cooked chicken thigh to his half)
  • topping: mayo, tonkatsu sauce, or ketchup!

Directions

1. Mix together the veggies in a big bowl: cabbage, scallions, onion.  Add the wheat bran and flour and toss to coat.  Add the eggs, salt & pepper, and mix well.
  2. If you’re using meat, add it now.  I portioned out the batter into halves and added cooked chicken to Bobby’s half.
  3. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat.  Lightly coat the bottom with oil (less than 1 tablespoon).  Dump in the batter and form into a large pancake.  Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Flip it over (this is the hard part), and cook, uncovered, for another 3-4 minutes.
  5. Repeat with the other half of the batter.  I actually did our simultaneously in 2 saute pans.
  6. Serve hot, with various sauces – mayo, tonkatsu sauce, ketchup.

12 okonomiyaki 300x225 Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)

I ate my entire okonomiyaki (yes that is a large dinner plate!!); Bobby ate most of his but he also had some rice on the side.  It was very filling. Love eggs!

My favorite part about okonomiyaki is the topping.  I spread mine with a little bit of mayo, some tonkatsu sauce (found in the soy sauce aisle), and a little bit of organic ketchup.

Have you ever had okonomiyaki?  What’s your favorite Japanese food? I love sukiyaki

29 Comments on Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)

1. Shelby
    7 April, 2009 at 1:25 pm (5 years ago)

That sounds really delicious.

2. FoodsThatFit
    7 April, 2009 at 1:33 pm (5 years ago)

You know, I haven’t really ever tried Japanese food, but after seeing some of your Japanese inspired recipes for the Blogger Cookbook, I have been really interested in trying it. Your fritatta looks so good!

3. Justine
    7 April, 2009 at 2:09 pm (5 years ago)

Yum that looks great. I have never heard of it before. Thank for the recipe!

~Justine

4. Christina
    7 April, 2009 at 2:22 pm (5 years ago)

Yum! Looks delicious! I do something kind of similiar, but mix in the noodles from Ramen. I let it settle some, then flip and it comes out looking like yours!

5. Clare @ Clare's Two Steps Forward
    7 April, 2009 at 2:32 pm (5 years ago)

hey! i’m glad you found my blog. I’ve been trying to expand my readership, but I’m not sure how! It looks like something worked. Yes, I love those 4 steps and I think they’re working. I definitely need to give it more time though. Hope your day goes well! =)

-Clare

6. mi
    7 April, 2009 at 2:37 pm (5 years ago)

it’s interesting how different people use different nicknames for this dish – japanese pizza, japanese savoury pancake, japanese frittata!! good one! great that you put up an accessible recipe for others to use :D never heard of using ketchup for it – i love the okonomiyaki sauce :)

7. Biz
    7 April, 2009 at 2:43 pm (5 years ago)

Of course you put ketchup on it! :D I hope it was organic ketchup!

Although I don’t like a lot of raw sushi, I do like the Happy Avo which is raw tuna in an avocado with a wasabi balsamic dressing – so good!

Okay, now I need to go out for sushi!

8. Erin
    7 April, 2009 at 3:50 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never heard of this dish but it looks so tasty!
    I starred it and hope to try it soon. I love the idea of it.

7 April, 2009 at 4:30 pm (5 years ago)

Never had it before – looks good!!

10. Anna
    7 April, 2009 at 4:56 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never heard of okonomiyaki… I can’t say I’m much of a Japanese food buff. Sushi pretty much does it for me, I’m lame!

11. Julz
    7 April, 2009 at 5:37 pm (5 years ago)

OMG effing YUM. I want. I want. Mags you gotta keep posting these delicious + healthy japanese recipes! I cannot wait to make thisss

12. carolinebee
    7 April, 2009 at 5:48 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never had or heard of it, but it looks amazing, you are such a master chef :D I enjoy learning about how expansive asian cuisine is from your blog! My fave japanese food= mochi for sure!

13. K
    7 April, 2009 at 5:51 pm (5 years ago)

I love all the ethnic eats that you post – I have never heard of this before! Looks delicious though!!

14. rhodeygirl
    7 April, 2009 at 5:52 pm (5 years ago)

ahhhh! maggie this looks sooo awesome!!!!! i am SO passing this on to the fianz, it is totally his cup of tea!

7 April, 2009 at 6:28 pm (5 years ago)

these look so good! I can’t spell its name and haven’t heard of it before. but i’ll definitely try it out!
    so, what’s the difference with western frittata? adding flour? or is the cabbage the biggest difference? and no cheese in it? :D just trying to figure out what makes it japanese! ;)

16. Sharon
    7 April, 2009 at 7:20 pm (5 years ago)

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing!

17. Meghan at Making Love In The Kitchen
    7 April, 2009 at 7:31 pm (5 years ago)

This looks so good! I have never tried this before. Having now seen it on your site and 101 cook books, I have to give it a go… and I have a cabbage in my fridge waiting to be made Japanese!

18. Hangry Pants
    7 April, 2009 at 7:47 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you for sharing something traditional. I love this kind of stuff. I very rarely eat Japanese food, or anything I think is specifically Japanese. I guess I always eat Chinese or Thai? Mark loves sushi though and when we go I get veggie rolls – lame, I know.

19. yogiclarebear
    7 April, 2009 at 10:00 pm (5 years ago)

ooh yummy yum! thanks for posting the recipe. is this kindof like egg foo yun? never heard of adding the wheat bran. again, thanks for posting!

20. juliet
    7 April, 2009 at 10:22 pm (5 years ago)

That looks really good! I’ve never had one but I am definitely going to make one. :)

8 April, 2009 at 7:16 am (5 years ago)

Maggie,
    I have never tried okonomiyaki, but it looks and sounds delicious. I would have eaten the whole thing as well. :) Sounds like a well balanced meal – protein, carbs, and fat. I love a good filling combo!

Hope you’re week is going well. I just read your meal plan, and I’m glad that you’re enjoying your seafood and dairy. How is your stomach doing with the yogurt and fruit?

22. Dori
    8 April, 2009 at 8:10 am (5 years ago)

I never heard of that but it sounds so good! My favorite Japanese food is the typical sushi and sashimi :)

23. Sagan
    8 April, 2009 at 12:10 pm (5 years ago)

The Japanese sure know how to eat! Looks wonderful, I’ve never had it before. When I get around to traveling to Japan it’s going to be so much fun to eat all that tasty food…

24. Meggie
    17 April, 2009 at 6:18 am (5 years ago)

This looks delicious!!

Is there anything I can use to replace the flour, though? Flour upsets my stomach.

25. atos
    20 February, 2010 at 4:41 am (5 years ago)

Great stuff! Ketchup is actually a good idea, and egg whites are good way to keep the calories low. To make it more authentic, I personally prefer adding grated Nagaimo (long, starchy potato) and definitely some dashi (Japanese soup stock). Makes it slightly fluffy, and every bite melts in your mouth. Just divine.

26. Heather Burows
    22 November, 2010 at 5:57 am (4 years ago)

I spent a whole year as an exchange student in Kyoto Japan, and I have to say I probably wouldnt have gotten by if it wasnt for a cheap dinner of udon a few times a week! There is even one shop where you can eat for free if you do 30 minutes of washing the dishes after! Anyway, I found a load more tasty looking ideas at this udon recipe site.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata)