I made this after I saw something similar in Bethenny Frankel’s Naturally Thin (I love trying new recipes!). We had it with the stuffed portobellos that I posted about yesterday.
Pasta with Tomato & Parmesan
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pasta (I used fusilli)
- 4 medium/small on the vine tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (smashed and chopped up)
- salt and pepper
- some oregano or basil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan + more for topping
- 10-15 crushed and toasted pistachios
- Cook the pasta normally.
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the garlic in the oil over medium-high heat. When it starts getting crispy, add the tomatoes, salt & pepper, and the oregano/basil (if it’s dried; if it’s fresh then you can add it at the end). Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer everything ’til the pasta is done.
- Drain the pasta (save a little bit of the water) and add the pasta to the pan. Thicken the sauce with a few tablespoons of the leftover pasta water.
- Stir in the parmesan, nuts, and basil/oregano (if fresh). Top with more parm.
This was really fantastic. The portion size of pasta is pretty low, so if you’re serving a hungry guy, you might want to use more. For us it worked out perfectly – Bobby had about 2/3rds of the dish and I had the rest (Bobby would have eaten more if there had been any left though). Bethenny’s recipe originally called for just 1/2 cup of pasta (for 2 people!), but that would not be enough.
Try it! What’s your favorite way to make pasta? I usually hate pasta, but I really liked this…