I’ve been feeling very blah recently (eating crap at night is the culprit), so today for lunch I made a really fresh and clean soup to help scrub out my body and snap out of this funk. I hesitate to call this a “detox” soup because of the negative connotations that come with the word detox… but that’s what it is. It reminds me of the leek soup cleanse that is recommended in the book French Women Don’t Get Fat. (Here my own cleansing leek soup recipe.)
Cleansing Veggie Soup
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- salt & pepper, to taste
- parmesan for topping (optional)
- brown sugar for topping (optional)
- Boil about 2-3 cups of water. Add all the veggies and the salt & pepper. Continue to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop the veggies into a bowl (leaving the broth in the pot). Top with a tablespoon or 2 of grated parmesan and a few teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Optional – you can drink the broth if you feel so inclined.
I do feel better after eating this. It was the perfect post-yoga lunch, and while it was very light, the parmesan and the brown sugar made it really delicious and even filling. I ate the whole thing, but it definitely makes enough for 2 or even 3 people if they want smaller portions.
What’s your favorite food to make your body feel better? I love eating large amount of veggies, obviously