Cleansing Veggie Soup

I’ve been feeling very blah recently (eating crap at night is the culprit), so today for lunch I made a really fresh and clean soup to help scrub out my body and snap out of this funk.  I hesitate to call this a “detox” soup because of the negative connotations that come with the word detox… but that’s what it is.  It reminds me of the leek soup cleanse that is recommended in the book French Women Don’t Get Fat.  (Here my own cleansing leek soup recipe.)

Cleansing Veggie Soup

02 cleansing veggie soup 300x225 Cleansing Veggie Soup

Ingredients (serves 1-2)

• 2 leeks, chopped
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 2 cups chopped cabbage
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • parmesan for topping (optional)
  • brown sugar for topping (optional)

Directions

1. Boil about 2-3 cups of water.  Add all the veggies and the salt & pepper.  Continue to boil for about 10 minutes.
  2. Scoop the veggies into a bowl (leaving the broth in the pot).  Top with a tablespoon or 2 of grated parmesan and a few teaspoons of brown sugar.
  3. Optional – you can drink the broth if you feel so inclined.

I do feel better after eating this.  It was the perfect post-yoga lunch, and while it was very light, the parmesan and the brown sugar made it really delicious and even filling.  I ate the whole thing, but it definitely makes enough for 2 or even 3 people if they want smaller portions.

What’s your favorite food to make your body feel better?  I love eating large amount of veggies, obviously icon smile Cleansing Veggie Soup

22 Comments on Cleansing Veggie Soup

11 April, 2009 at 4:08 pm (6 years ago)

me too, I love loading up in veggies when I feel bloated and puffed. I like to make a huge salad with colorful veggies. I feel super stuffed but super good! :D

2. cleanveggie
    11 April, 2009 at 4:30 pm (6 years ago)

sorry you feel so blah :\
    but that soup sounds great – I always feel so much better after I eat veggies.

3. Sharon
    11 April, 2009 at 5:37 pm (6 years ago)

Oh wow, that looks amazing!

11 April, 2009 at 5:42 pm (6 years ago)

Broccoli is my cleaning food – eat it almost everyday.

Get well soon!!

5. K
    11 April, 2009 at 6:00 pm (6 years ago)

That soup intrigues me – I would have never thought of topping something like that with brown sugar! Hope you’re feeling better!!

6. Shelby
    11 April, 2009 at 6:18 pm (6 years ago)

This looks really refreshing!
    I think I’ll try this after I go grocery shopping =)

7. Mara @ What's For Dinner?
    11 April, 2009 at 7:06 pm (6 years ago)

What a great idea… maybe if i have a soup like this around, I’ll be less likely to eat crap…

8. Anna
    11 April, 2009 at 7:25 pm (6 years ago)

one word: kale!

9. Christina
    11 April, 2009 at 7:34 pm (6 years ago)

Looks delish! I only recenlty (within the past two years) started cooking with leeks and I love them!

I usually feel better after something fresh – like a veggie soup or fruit salad, etc.

10. Sagan
    11 April, 2009 at 7:39 pm (6 years ago)

Blargh, I hear you on the night eating. I’m getting better, thankfully… but even so, it COULD be much better still!

That looks tasty. I tend to rely on BIG salads full of veggies and chickpeas for my “cleansing” food :)

11. Alison
    11 April, 2009 at 9:20 pm (6 years ago)

I think a brothy soup definitely makes you feel better. Miso immediately comes to mind. So light and healthy.

12. clare
    11 April, 2009 at 10:22 pm (6 years ago)

oh delish. HUGE veggie fan. must have carrots every day. and hyyyuuuuge salad. i love crunchy butter lettuce! i better stop…could go on and on and on…. ;) yummy simple recipe mag!

13. Pearl
    12 April, 2009 at 1:39 am (6 years ago)

oh what a great recipe, thank you! i’d love something that made you feel light and clean :)

14. mi
    12 April, 2009 at 1:45 am (6 years ago)

i loved that book and have been wanting to make that leek soup – this looks even better :D i’m going to email you later on!

15. Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen)
    12 April, 2009 at 4:44 am (6 years ago)

I think the change of season into Spring leaves us all a little blah. The soup would likely be a little more cleansing (and less tasty) without the sugar and cheese:) If you are up for it, I am coaching a 3-day green smoothie cleanse starting next Sunday. Really gentle and really simple (and not calling it a detox!) http://meghantelpnerblog.com/green-cleanse/

16. Sophia
    12 April, 2009 at 8:17 am (6 years ago)

veggies and fruits too, of course, but also CARBS of all forms. sweet potatoes, pumpkin, potatoes, bread, whole grains…ultimate comfort foods that make me feel so much better, esp since carbs are easy to digest.

17. Erin
    12 April, 2009 at 9:36 am (6 years ago)

That sounds really tasty actually. I love leeks.
    Also, your cat is sooo adorable (just catching up on your posts).
    I think green juices make me feel best. Too bad I don’t have a juicer or wheatgrass!

18. juliet
    12 April, 2009 at 10:39 am (6 years ago)

I can see why you don’t want to call it detox soup. It looks so good and healthy! Sorry I haven’t been around lately, I’ve been under the weather which hasn’t been fun.

19. Mimi
    12 April, 2009 at 11:49 am (6 years ago)

Well, I have different types of “feel better” foods.

When my body’s just feeling dirty-blah, I go for carrots, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower, and steamed kale. I know that raw is “better” for you, but I like the softness and flavor of steamed veggies more. Carrots are fine raw, though.

When my body’s feeling lethargic-blah, I always crave cold fruit. With a small side of yogurt! Pineapples, strawberries, mangoes, cantaloupe, bananas, and grapes are my favorites for this…only thing is that they have to be COLD! SO refreshing!

But when it’s a mental blah that’s making me feel crappy, sometimes you just need something comforting–to warm you from the inside out. For that, I go for oatmeal! I’ll make a slightly more decadent bowl than usual, make sure it has fruit in it it, and just relax.

And though I know this would not be true for everyone, few things settle my upset tummy like cottage cheese.

I really roll my eyes at stuff labeled “detox” that’s really “let’s load you full of psyllium husk and plant you on the potty for a few hours.”

All you need to “clean out is good, healthy food!

20. Mimi
    12 April, 2009 at 11:49 am (6 years ago)

Oh! I meant to ask, what brand of coconut yogurt do you recommend?

21. Ashely Dagres
    25 August, 2011 at 6:30 pm (3 years ago)

I have searched all over and finally found this website. Thanks for the info on wheatgrass.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Cleansing Veggie Soup