Saturday night we were going to go to Homma’s Brown Rice Sushi, but then we decided to make our own! We got salmon (sake), masago (capelin roe), dried shrimp, kabocha, and a few other fun Japanese foods.
I made this little plate for topping the sushi (and I ended up trying these on kabocha too. eh – I’ll stick with parmesan!). This is pickled cucumber (Chinese), dried shrimp, and masago (roe).
And here’s the salmon (we sliced it ourselves):
Mid-prep (there’s the steamed kabocha; Bobby was in charge of the sushi rice by adding a vinegar/sugar mixture to white rice):
Final product (with nori seaweed of course):
After dinner we had these cool milk ice bars that we got at the Japanese grocery where we picked up the sushi goods:
These were great! They have 57 calories each, and they are so rich and milky. I savored it soooo slowly. I will definitely be buying more after these are gone ($2.50 for the pack of 10; on sale).
Salad challenge update – Monday’s salad!
This big salad is rather ridiculous and includes:
- spinach and romaine heart base
- apple, tomato, umeboshi plums (from the Japanese store; this is also very macrobiotic. They are very salty and I actually don’t like them much. I did finish them but probably won’t have them again. Good thing Bobby likes them!)
- sauteed peas, carrot, celery
- parmesan & masago (the roe again; we got so much I need to use it up!)
- newman’s own lowfat sesame ginger dressing
I ate it all. What is your favorite salad dressing? Or do you go without? My absolute favorite is Newman’s Own lowfat sesame ginger. I never use anything else!