I Heart Housewives

Ever since reading Naturally Thin I have been a bit obsessed with The Real Housewives of New York City.  I was a New Yorker for a brief period of time, and I loved it.  The show makes me miss the city even more.  I’ve lived in Greenwich Village and the upper east side…  I prefer the upper east side, but that’s just me :)  I even watched the A-List Awards on Bravo last night (which were actually not very A-List at all…) just to see them.  Do you watch?

Today’s salad was another not-salad, unfortunately.  It was okonomiyaki (Japanese frittata) made with:

13-thursday-salad

• base: spinach, organic purple cabbage
  • toppings: mushrooms, organic leeks
  • protein: egg whites
  • dressing: organic ketchup, mayo, tonkatsu sauce; fried in sesame oil

Today’s yoga was majorly intense.  It was only a 60-minute class, but I was thoroughly challenged.  Bobby walked by me and said, “wow, you’re never that sweaty.”  It’s true!  I don’t sweat much.  But I was soaked midway through this class.  The class was a podcast by Philip Urso (I’ve done two of his other podcasts: here and here).

It was a Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga class (one of my favorite styles; Dave Farmar does this kind).  It was constant flow until the very end, which I LOVE.  (I find that Dave Farmar has more long holds than I like; I want to flow!)  So if you’re into FLOW, check out Philip Urso.  The class I took today can be found HERE (Fast HOUR of Power – 03/29/2007).

What’s your favorite style of yoga?  OR, if you don’t practice yoga – what’s your favorite form of exercise? I love Baptiste Power Vinyasa, and as for other exercise… I’m a walker.  I also love to dance.

28 Comments on I Heart Housewives

1. Anna
    16 April, 2009 at 9:57 pm (6 years ago)

I’m with you on this one… power vinyasa all the way. It’s like dancing on the mat.

2. mi
    17 April, 2009 at 12:46 am (6 years ago)

yay another okonomiyaki! i’m a little hatching beginner at yoga…. infact i’ll probably shouting out for some advice via blogging later. as for exercise, i like running & elliptical!

17 April, 2009 at 3:33 am (6 years ago)

I love power flow vinyasa a lot…. I find it more challenging and more dynamic. And I also love to walk, when I lived in Argentina or Shanghai, I walk at least two-three hours a day instead of taking public transportation.
    Maggie, I forgot to ask you in the email, do you know any yoga retreat place for a getaway?

4. Shelby
    17 April, 2009 at 4:03 am (6 years ago)

I totally want to live on the Upper East Side…but maybe that’s just the Gossip Girl in me ;)

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I like flowing yoga but then other times I just want a nice deeeep stretch. Ahh.

5. Sophia
    17 April, 2009 at 4:22 am (6 years ago)

the okonomiyaki looks amazing. what did you do for the batter besides eggs? Or you just used eggs and no flour? either way, I’d love several stacks of those!

17 April, 2009 at 5:08 am (6 years ago)

Gorgeous “salad”!!

I love vinyasa the most, for sure. Not a fan of bikram.

7. gary
    17 April, 2009 at 5:08 am (6 years ago)

I am no longer a distance runner and my back appreciates it, but walking and weights have filled in nicely.
    Quite a dinner up there, tasty!

8. Mara @ What's For Dinner?
    17 April, 2009 at 5:42 am (6 years ago)

I can’t get into the Real Housewives… but I would love to visit new york again!

9. Dori
    17 April, 2009 at 6:01 am (6 years ago)

I LOVE Real Housewives of NYC! Bethenny and Jill should have their own comedy hour. Love.

I didn’t watch the awards, how was it? My favorite exercise is spin! I don’t do yoga.

10. Meg Wolff
    17 April, 2009 at 6:34 am (6 years ago)

Hi Maggie,
    Sounds like a great workout and great food as well!

11. Hangry Pants
    17 April, 2009 at 7:18 am (6 years ago)

I love vinyassa as well! I really enjoyed this time of yoga I used to do in Rhode Island called Forest yoga. It was like a power vinyasa in a mildly heated room. I miss that.

12. Marissa
    17 April, 2009 at 9:47 am (6 years ago)

Wow! So many colors! I love it!

13. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    17 April, 2009 at 9:56 am (6 years ago)

That Japanese frittata looks amazing!
    I don’t know what type of yoga I do . . . I just do the Biggest Loser’s yoga dvd. I really like it though.

14. Jen
    17 April, 2009 at 1:28 pm (6 years ago)

I can’t afford cable tv on a college student budget, so no Bravo for me. :( But when I’m at home with my parents, it’s seriously one of my favorite channels. I loveee Real Housewives and Top Chef and Project Runway. :D

I’ve been meaning to ask a really embarrassing beginner’s yoga question! :(

My gym offers some classes on Hatha Yoga and Vinyasa Yoga, but I haven’t any idea what the difference is. They both sound too advanced for me, so I’ll definitely be sticking to my beginner’s classes for now–but I was still curious as to what each kind of yoga focuses on. (And you’re sort of my go-to yoga bloggie, so I thought it’d be best to ask you.) :)

15. K
    17 April, 2009 at 1:58 pm (6 years ago)

That frittata looks delicious! I. Love. Real. Housewives!! Honestly, every season, every location! Love ‘em!!

16. Alison
    17 April, 2009 at 4:03 pm (6 years ago)

I love okonomiyaki! What great additions to it w/spinach and purple cabbage. I should try varying mine more.

17. The Dainty Pig
    17 April, 2009 at 4:08 pm (6 years ago)

I’m an ashtanga yoga girl, but I do appreciate all types (although I do know that Bikram definitely isn’t for me)! Yoga is just simply wonderful! I also love to walk, hike, rollerblade and bike in the sun :)
    That Japanese frittata looks delightful!

18. Eat, Live, Love, Dream
    17 April, 2009 at 6:27 pm (6 years ago)

Housewives of NYC is definantly my guilty pleasure:/ Have a great Weekend Maggie!!

19. Sagan
    17 April, 2009 at 6:32 pm (6 years ago)

I’m liking all that color in your frittata!

18 April, 2009 at 7:31 am (6 years ago)

Maggie,
    You know I love the sweaty flows! :) Dave Farmar does hold the poses a bit too long sometimes. My quads will be shaking, but I love his long Pigeon holds at the end! I just tried going to a new studio here in town (well, new to me) that teaches the Iyengar style of yoga, but no one was there…weird. Wasn’t meant to be I guess.

Mmm, there you go with that Japanese frittata again – looks so good!

How are the new calcium chews and the Ahi tuna jerky?

21. Lara (Thinspired)
    18 April, 2009 at 9:22 am (6 years ago)

I am totally obsessed with Housewives of NYC! My interest was the opposite though…I started watching the show and now I’m going to read the book ;)

Your breakfast looks good. I love making eggs with an Asian twist. I’ve been doing oyster sauce lately. Salty, I know…is it macrobiotic?!

22. tuki
    18 April, 2009 at 2:02 pm (6 years ago)

I love your blog! Thankyou!!

23. Justine
    18 April, 2009 at 6:42 pm (6 years ago)

I watched some the a-list awards. I will have to catch a re run to watch the rest. It was funny. The New York Housewives are my least favorite of all the Housewives. They are so snobby and I cant stand Kelley!! Did you see the interview with Kelley and Bethenny on the red carpet? Such an awkward moment!!

~Justine

24. Erin
    18 April, 2009 at 8:26 pm (6 years ago)

YES! I watch every season – OC, ATL, NY, and I can’t wait for Jersey!
    I don’t do yoga anymore, but I used to LUFF ashtanga. I did it in Portland and it was amazing.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on I Heart Housewives

Warning: call_user_func(comment_style) [function.call-user-func]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home4/ke4mtg/public_html/thesaladgirl/wordpress/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1796