Hormones? What?

I’ve been reading this kick-butt book:

master your metabolism 300x300 Hormones?  What?

And I have learned a lot.  It’s also a little bit scary.  It’s a great book and I’ll write a real review soon (after I finish it).  Tagline:

Does it feel as if you’re fighting your body to lose even one pound—or just to maintain your current weight? Respected health and wellness expert and bestselling author Jillian Michaels has been there, too. So she consulted top experts in the field of metabolism and discovered that she’d inadvertently been abusing her endocrine system for years. After “fixing” her own metabolism, she decided to share what she learned by devising this simple, 3-phase plan that engages all the weight-loss hormones (including the friendly HGH, testosterone, DHEA; and the not-so-friendly: insulin, cortisol, and excess estrogen).”

I identify with a lot of the issues that she talks about and I think my hormones are probably at least a little bit whacked.  I’ve been on birth control (the pill) for about 3.5 years.  While I was on it I lost weight (not because of the birth control) that I had gained as a freshman.  Both of these things definitely mess up your hormones (thyroid, estrogen, testosterone, insulin, ghrelin, cortisol, etc…) and I’m pretty sure mine have taken a hit.  There are SO many side effects of birth control (weight gain, increase or decrease in acne, dizziness, headaches, depression, loss of libido).  Jillian Michaels also talks about an abundance of different hormone issues as well.

Hm.  Apparently hormones are pretty important.  I want my body back! I was all set to go off of the pill and see what would happen but then The Dainty Pig (a lovely macrobiotic blogger) posted her story – and it scared me!  There are side effects/changes when you go OFF the pill too (weight GAIN/loss, acne, bloating, irregular periods, irritability – all the things I DON’T want)!  At first I almost chickened out, but then I decided that I NEED to do this.  Bobby and I have talked about the fact that I’m not the carefree and happy person that I used to be.  I need to see if my hormones are part of the issue.

I want to lead a healthy, happy, clean life – and this means getting rid of toxins and seeing how my body reacts.  I’m following a pretty macrobiotic diet for the first few weeks off the pill to help my body get used to it (the yogurt was really getting to me again, so I haven’t been having it; I am eating small amounts of meat though).  My first day off was Monday and so far I’m doing well.  I have noticed some changes, but I’m going to give it a few more weeks before I attribute them to going off.  Stay tuned.

Have you read Jillian’s book?  What did you think?  If you haven’t, does it sound interesting to you? (Also, feel free to email me – magpie707@gmail.com – or comment about your own experiences with the pill.  I’m really curious about what others have gone through and I’d be happy to share more about what I’ve experienced.) The book is a really great read and a wonderful resource – I have learned a lot and I can’t wait to review it properly for you.

15 Comments on Hormones? What?

24 April, 2009 at 2:04 pm (6 years ago)

I’ll write an email to you later today Maggie! I’ve been on pill for 3.5 years and I’m off. I’ll tell u about my experience!
    I’ll check that book too! :)

2. Shelby
    24 April, 2009 at 5:10 pm (6 years ago)

Sounds like a great book. I bet my metabolism is whacky too from my ED.

3. K
    24 April, 2009 at 5:48 pm (6 years ago)

Very interesting!! I’ve never been on the pill and in general, I don’t like to take any sort of pills – there’s something about them that just doesn’t jive with me. I don’t know why!

4. Meredith (Pursuing Balance)
    24 April, 2009 at 6:10 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve read that actually the percentage of women who gain weight on the pill is the same percentage as those who gain weight off the pill, so the two aren’t actually related. They just have to include it in their list of side effects for liability purposes.
    That said, I’d still be interested in reading the book :)

5. Pearl
    24 April, 2009 at 10:03 pm (6 years ago)

oh my gosh – that is so interesting! i’ve never been on the pill because i’m always afraid of what it may do to the body.. could you go and ask your doctor about this?

6. elise
    25 April, 2009 at 6:47 am (6 years ago)

i didnt last on BCP either…and i feel better off it. but im sure all the on and off has made me a little messed up.

7. Erin
    25 April, 2009 at 7:46 am (6 years ago)

Maggie, this is a really interesting post and something I’ve always been very passionate about. I’ll email you a little more about it, but I’m so glad you posted this!

8. Brittany
    25 April, 2009 at 12:55 pm (6 years ago)

Maggie, I’ve been on the pill for over 5 years and I totally understand your feelings. Sometimes I wonder if I would be different if I wasn’t putting additional hormones into my body. It’s a very tough decision because I feel it’s the best method of protection, however I don’t like the fact that I’m putting those things in my body. But overall, I am really interested in reading about your experience.

9. Dejan
    25 April, 2009 at 6:05 pm (6 years ago)

Very good.Thank you.

10. Kiersten
    27 April, 2009 at 10:33 am (6 years ago)

I went off birth control about 2 months ago. It’s the first time I haven’t been on it in 4 or 5 years. So far, NO negative side effects. I haven’t gotten my period since stopping the pill, but supposedly it can take up to a few months. I think it’s definitely a good idea to get off the pill if you really want to rebalance your hormones. I wouldn’t worry about the weight gain or loss. I have neither gained nor loss when I started or stopped the pill. I don’t think that happens to everyone.

11. ttfn300
    27 April, 2009 at 8:32 pm (6 years ago)

very interesting! i haven’t really thought about how I’ve been on the pill for a few years. At this point it’s just to keep me regular, or rather, so i know when to expect it and am not surprised. Reading this, though, makes me think twice…

12. Lara (Thinspired)
    28 April, 2009 at 7:58 am (6 years ago)

This book sounds like it has some really useful info. I too am on the pill and have been since I was 17. I’ve wondered what kind of impact it has had on my weight, but more generally I worry about what it is doing to me overall well being. I think it has definitely affected me in areas I didn’t even realize before (mood swings, appetite, etc). I’m scared to go off it!
    I’m really looking forward to hearing about how your body does. You seem really in-tune with your system so I hope you are able to see some positive changes. Please keep us updated if you can! And thanks for the review :)

13. Erin
    28 April, 2009 at 7:11 pm (6 years ago)

I worship her – she’s brils. I’m interested to hear more! Have you thought about the hormone free copper IUD?

14. Hangry Pants
    28 April, 2009 at 9:53 pm (6 years ago)

I saw her interviewed on the Today Show and I thought the book sounded really interesting. I can’t wait to hear what you have to say – you always have a unique perspective on these things (no pressure – haha)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Hormones? What?