New Place – Pho Little Saigon

We went out for Vietnamese tonight at a new place about a mile away from our new apartment.  It’s called Pho Little Saigon.  We both got pho (noodle soup) of course!  Bobby got something beefy and I got one of the non-beef options:

12 seafood pho 300x225 New Place   Pho Little Saigon

It had 2 pieces of each: shrimp, squid, chicken, pork, fish balls, and fish cakes.  I ate all of the meats, all of the veggies (sprouts mostly) and some of the noodles.  I dipped everything in hoisin and chili sauce (on the left).  I had a few bites of Bobby’s beef soup, but the broth was pretty oily… though the beef was amazing tender and lean.

The only problem with this place (which I discovered once I got home) is that they use a ridiculous amount of MSG.  I should have assumed, because most pho places use it.  After I eat MSG I get this pressure in my temples and my head feels tight.  It’s kind of like dizziness, but it’s more just a weird sensation.  I’m not sure if we’ll go back.  I love pho but I hate the way MSG makes me feel.  Does this happen to anyone else?

I’ll be back soon with my Monday menu plan…

9 Comments on New Place – Pho Little Saigon

1. Jen
    26 April, 2009 at 9:01 pm (5 years ago)

MSG sensitivity is pretty terrible (but also kind of useful since you can detect the MSG in food). I don’t have any sensitivity to it myself, but I typically assume that every Asian restaurant uses it (unless they put up a sign that says otherwise).

I love a really good bowl of pho, so your pictures got me craving it now! Yummm. :)

2. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    26 April, 2009 at 9:53 pm (5 years ago)

I have had that happen after eating at a few Asian restaurants, and assumed it was the MSG.

I have yet to find a Vietnamese place in our town though, pho sounds good!

3. Christina
    26 April, 2009 at 9:59 pm (5 years ago)

I usually feel lightheaded and kind of spacey after eating MSG – sometimes worse than others. Once I was physically sick and had to go to the dr. and they said I must have eaten so much that it was elevated to MSG poisoning.

A lot of chinese take-out places around here advertise MSG-free dishes or they’ll make menu items MSG-free by request! If you liked that restaurant (apart from the MSG) you might want to ask and see if they’ll oblige.

4. Stacy
    26 April, 2009 at 10:07 pm (5 years ago)

This doesn’t happen to me, but my mom always has really vivid, strange dreams the night after eating something made with MSG.
    Myself, I’m not affected… So I am grateful!

5. Pearl
    26 April, 2009 at 10:18 pm (5 years ago)

i get really uncomfy after eating so much MSG, too – bloating and all that faaaaabulous stuff occur :/

6. Kath (My Funny Little Life)
    14 January, 2012 at 4:35 pm (3 years ago)

I’m totally the same. MSG makes me feel like crap. I even saw once that a fellow student of mide had to be brought to the hospital because she got an MSG shock after eating at the mensa. I usually get bloating, water retention, swellings, dizziness, and cold sweating from it. It’s very uncomfortable.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on New Place – Pho Little Saigon