More kabocha? (Neon Green Oat Bran)

Now that you know what kabocha is, you must be dying to try out some new recipes for it icon smile More kabocha? (Neon Green Oat Bran)  This recipe is even new to me – neon green oat bran.  Yes, I’m a nut.

19 neon green oat bran 300x225 More kabocha? (Neon Green Oat Bran)

To make your neon green oat bran, you need these ingredients:

• 1 cup chopped kabocha
  • 2/3 cup oat bran + 1.5 cups water
  • splash of vanilla (optional), pinch of salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons raisins (optional; I didn’t use them today)
  • 1-2 cups spinach (optional; I DID add it)

Directions: Steam the kabocha for 5-7 minutes.  Cook your oat bran (with the vanilla, salt, and raisins if using).  Put the steamed kabocha, oat bran, and spinach (optional) in the blender.  Blend on high for about 30 seconds.  Dump it into a bowl, making sure to scrape every last bit out of the blender!  EAT.  ENJOY.

This is like pumpkin oats, but a million times better.  And it’s very macrobiotic.  Squash + raw greens + whole grains = amazing for your body!  It’s simple and delicious.  Will you try it?

16 Comments on More kabocha? (Neon Green Oat Bran)

30 April, 2009 at 1:21 pm (5 years ago)

As soon as I find Kabocha squash…. and some nerve..HA yeah, i’ll try it… I am the crazy food girl in my family always tempting SOMEONE to just TASTE my latest concoction.

Why oh WHY should this be any different??

I have vague recollections of a lurking fear the first time I was offered SUSHI.

anyone eat Kabocha RAW?
    (I’m a beginner Raw FOODIE)

2. Shelby
    30 April, 2009 at 1:32 pm (5 years ago)

I am willing to try this!!! Once I find Kabocha…consider this on my “to-make” list!

3. Erin
    30 April, 2009 at 2:44 pm (5 years ago)

Actually this sounds delicious! I am a nut too though. Your last posts have got me seriously wanting kabocha. But I have yet to see it! Maybe on my outing this weekend, I’ll come across it. I already love butternut and pumpkin, and you seem very fond it!

4. K
    30 April, 2009 at 3:10 pm (5 years ago)

Oh wow! That is so vibrant!! I love the color of it!

30 April, 2009 at 6:16 pm (5 years ago)

wooooo!!! That’s for breakfast?! AMAZING!!!
    only one question: how do you peel the kabocha? it’s so thick!

6. Justine
    30 April, 2009 at 8:59 pm (5 years ago)

I have seen Kabocha and always wanted to try it!! Next time I will have to pick some up!!

~Justine

7. Pearl
    30 April, 2009 at 9:42 pm (5 years ago)

YAAY – i’m glad you tried it!

8. The Dainty Pig
    30 April, 2009 at 9:59 pm (5 years ago)

heck yes i’ll try it!! Maggie, i’m sold. This looks amazing, and is definitely macrobiotic approved :)
    you. are. wonderful.

9. Sophia
    1 May, 2009 at 3:11 am (5 years ago)

a funky neon green, oats, and kabocha? would I try it? HELL YEAH! all my fav in one single bowl! oh my goodness, I worship you, oh culinary goddess!

10. Kristie
    1 May, 2009 at 6:43 am (5 years ago)

I’m so glad you’ve done posts featuring kabocha! I absolutely adore it, it’s my complete all-time favourite squash. I must have eaten my weight in it over the winter. I’m having a hard time finding it lately though and I’m getting so frustrated! I check every single time I go to the grocery store. I know one of these days I’ll find it again though, I have to! Otherwise I might go crazy without it. I might have to check the farmer’s market.

I always always eat it baked and I completely love it that way but steaming sounds really good too so I’m going to have to try it once I get my hands on one again…. and in oats? Now that’s something I never thought of…mmmm!

11. Rachel
    1 May, 2009 at 9:25 am (5 years ago)

I love kabocha! And pretty much every other kind of squash too, actually :) Hey, I just moved to the Bay area, got any restaurant recommendations?

12. healthy ashley
    1 May, 2009 at 1:04 pm (5 years ago)

Your oat bran looks so healthy! I promise next week I will try it on my own :)

Have a great weekend!!!

13. Stormy Roux
    1 September, 2010 at 10:37 am (4 years ago)

educate me.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on More kabocha? (Neon Green Oat Bran)