Treadmill kick-butt workout

I had an awesome workout yesterday, and then today I read this article about how great interval training is.  I don’t remember exactly what I did, but here’s a guess…

treadmill 300x264 Treadmill kick butt workout

14 minutes of intervals, 40 minutes incline walking, 6 minutes of intervals, then a cooldown (60 minutes workout + 10 minutes cooldown).

• 2 minutes 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 30 seconds 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 8.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 30 seconds 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 6.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 30 seconds 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 6.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 40 minutes 4.0 , 7-11% incline (vary it as you like – I did mostly 8-9%)
  • 1 minute 6.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 30 seconds 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 7.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 5.5 mph, 7% incline
  • 30 seconds 4.0 mph, 7% incline
  • 1 minute 7.0 mph, 7% incline
  • cooldown (10 minutes, 2.5 mph, 3% incline)

Stats – 4.55 miles (+ less than .5 miles from the cooldown), 706 calories according to the treadmill (this is not how many I burned; my treadmill doesn’t even let me put in my weight so it’s way off.  I would guess around 400 calories though?  maybe 500?), average speed of 4.6 mph, average incline of 8%.

The whole thing was an hour, plus the cooldown of 10 minutes.  I was sweating more a lot.  I like intervals so much better than straight running, and it makes the time fly by (as opposed to plain old incline walking).

Today I did intervals again.  Here’s the workout (at 7% incline unless otherwise indicated):

• 2 minute warm up: 4.0 mph
  • next 28 minutes: alternating intervals at 4.0 mph and 5.5 mph; vary the times between 30-75 seconds
  • next 15 minutes: 2 minutes at 4.0 mph, 1 minute at 5.5 mph (repeat 5 times)
  • 5 minutes: 4.0 mph
  • 2.5 minutes: 4.5 mph, 4% incline
  • 2.5 minutes: 4.0 mph, 4% incline
  • 5 minutes: 3.5 mph, 4% incline
  • 10 minute cooldown: 2.5 mph, 2.5% incline

It was just as good as yesterday!  Intervals make the time go by so quickly.  Today’s workout was 4.59 miles (+ less than .5 miles for the cooldown).  Average speed was 4.6 mph, average incline 6.5%.

Do you like intervals?  What’s your favorite workout?

16 Comments on Treadmill kick-butt workout

1. Sara
    11 May, 2009 at 8:13 pm (5 years ago)

I’m new to interval workouts, I don’t know why I never thought of them before, but I LOVE them. I really see progress in my endurance, and in a short time I’ve had a great workout!

2. Run Sarah
    11 May, 2009 at 8:49 pm (5 years ago)

I’ve never tried intervals as I usually run outdoors, but I’d love to try it!

3. mi
    11 May, 2009 at 10:41 pm (5 years ago)

thanks for this! i’m always looking for ways to make the boring treadmill time pass quickly.

4. Pearl
    11 May, 2009 at 11:13 pm (5 years ago)

Maggie – that sounds like a great workout!

5. Lara (Thinspired)
    12 May, 2009 at 2:13 am (5 years ago)

I would like to do more interval training. I rarely do much work on an incline, so this might be a good workout for me! Thanks for posting it.

12 May, 2009 at 2:44 am (5 years ago)

I love love intervals, it’s so much fun and better workout. Usually I do the simple 3:1 interval. 3 min on 6 mph and 1 min on 7 mph with no incline (because I read somewhere that it might bulk your calves) for as many as repetition I want to do, usually for a total workout of 30-40 min with cool down included.

7. Shelby
    12 May, 2009 at 4:07 am (5 years ago)

I used to LOVE intervals! They kept me from getting bored on the treadmill.

8. Alison
    12 May, 2009 at 4:19 am (5 years ago)

I haven’t done intervals for awhile. I should do it again. I was alternating between 6 mph and 7 mph on the treadmill – 5 minutes each. It nearly killed me, but a great workout. I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

9. Anna
    12 May, 2009 at 5:12 am (5 years ago)

Intervals are the BEST! For me, it’s the only way to prevent myself from becoming mind-numbingly bored on a treadmill.

10. Justine
    12 May, 2009 at 5:29 am (5 years ago)

Wow that a long time on the treadmill!!! I love intervals but I am lucky if a make 20 min. I like to work my speed up to about 9.5 and get it over with sooner!!

~Justine

11. Dori
    12 May, 2009 at 6:13 am (5 years ago)

I like to set the elliptical to do intervals automatically, 2 minutes easy and 2 minutes hard. On treadmill, I like to do Carrots N Cake’s 30 and 45 min workouts which are all interval-y! But I can’t run anymore because of my knee :(

12 May, 2009 at 8:14 am (5 years ago)

Wow, Great work out!

my teenager ran track this year so I’ve gotten LOTS of “mom come running with me” SIGH…so I have been puttin’ in treadmill time at work (at lunch) so maybe I can KEEP UP.

I “jog/walked” 2.2 miles in 26 minutes. SHEW

I was proud of myself. I LIKE YOGA better. more MY speed. HA

13. Alisa - Frugal Foodie
    12 May, 2009 at 8:22 am (5 years ago)

7mph at a 7% incline is awesome! I have read that about intervals too, and judging by how you felt, they must work!

14. elise
    12 May, 2009 at 9:14 am (5 years ago)

hmmm, i like the IDEA of intervals, but i hate having to constantly look at the settings on the treadmill…i would rather get in the zone and tune out. i agree – they are great for you though.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Treadmill kick-butt workout